Is 3 unit mathematics (ext 1 maths) that hard? (1 Viewer)

robyatt

HSC
hey i'm a year 10 student and i have just chosen my subjects for yr 11 i'm currently doing:
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Advanced Maths
Extension 1 Maths
Business Studies
V.A
Chemistry

i've heard that extension 1 maths is quite hard and you need to commit a lot more time into it than other subjects, i'm kinda wary of my choice on choosing it since i am not that great at maths to start off with (around average at my school).

enoilgam

HSC
i've heard that extension 1 maths is quite hard and you need to commit a lot more time into it than other subjects, i'm kinda wary of my choice on choosing it since i am not that great at maths to start off with (around average at my school).
It really depends on the person - I did MX1 in Year 11 and found it hard and needed to put in quite a fair bit of effort. However, there are people out there who dont find it that difficult (especially on BoS). If you have done well in Maths during Year 10, then I'd say give it a go - even though I dropped it, I dont regret doing it because my Maths skills went up heaps and it made me that much better at 2 Unit. Remember, you can always drop down, but you cant pick it up later if you change your mind.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hard or not depends on your ability. Best to start working hard right now on improving your maths so that, come next year, you won't find MX1 so hard, provided of course you have some aptitude for maths. But if you do not have a head for maths, work as hard as you like, you'll still struggle.

ashbash4210

HSC
Look basically if youre only average in maths, then is it really a good choice to try extension? I do extension and yes, it is hard, however its not ridiculously hard. If you go ahead with it, being only average as you say, you will have to put alot of work into it. Extension subjects are for people who 1) like them and 2) are competent in that field. But i recon give it a try and see if you can handle it, then drop it if you cant.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Defs do extension 1, you will find that advance maths becomes such a breeze.

Murielies

HSC
It's okay. It's pretty hard, but if you're finding what you're doing now easy, then by all means, give it a go. It does make Advanced math seem easier, but that's only really in comparison. The key is of course, practicing, constant revision and putting in a lot of time. I know I give at least four times as much math homework as the advance students (in my school extension and advance classes are taught as one). On most days, that's 1-3 hours a day, not counting extra revision you should be doing. So if you're good at math and are willing to put in the time, go ahead.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Went from getting 91% in School Cert maths trial to failing every single one of my ext 1 tests

However I'm retarded at maths

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Went from getting 91% in School Cert maths trial to failing every single one of my ext 1 tests

However I'm retarded at maths
Australian year 10 maths is easy as pie.... Did you put any effort into ext 1?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep 10, easy as. I got 97% or what not in school cert. He actually put a lot of effort in. For each of my assessments in year 11 (b4 he dropped), i put 2 or 3 hrs, whilst he was under some delusion that he had to do 10+ to get good marks, yet failed anyway. He didn't grasp concepts and the way to approach different questions, he just route learnt them.

He spent his days dreaming about this girl who went on overseas exchange for 1/2 a year. Kept day-to-day records of her arrival.

funnytomato

HSC
There's no definitive answer. It depends on who you are

If interested, just choose it and see how it goes.
You can always drop it after term3 and there's no harm learning a bit of prelim 3u maths for your 2u course

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The Year 10 maths course is just the General course. We had people get 95 in school certificate and end up failing even 2-unit.
You just need to put effort in and it is possible to train yourself to be a mathematician.

As long as you have the natural aptitude to attempt to discover in maths, then you should be fine with putting in the effort.

kendraellen

HSC
It definitely depends on the person, but it is definitely not that hard. Extension 2, however, is incredibly challenging.
I would recommend starting Extension Maths, because even if you do find it too difficult, you can drop it. You will be amazed at how simple 2U becomes with some extension background. The top 10 2U students at my school are all extension students OR extension dropouts.
I was only average to good at maths in Year 10, and I have flourished in Year 11/12 maths extension. It helps that I adore maths, but yeah. Definitely give it a go.
Put in lots of effort at the beginning, and the rest will fall out.
Good luck :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
When ever I start hating extension 2 past papers I switch to extension 1 as a reward.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're good at maths it's not hard.

No

It's the basic level of maths you need if you do maths at uni

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Yep 10, easy as. I got 97% or what not in school cert. He actually put a lot of effort in. For each of my assessments in year 11 (b4 he dropped), i put 2 or 3 hrs, whilst he was under some delusion that he had to do 10+ to get good marks, yet failed anyway. He didn't grasp concepts and the way to approach different questions, he just route learnt them.

He spent his days dreaming about this girl who went on overseas exchange for 1/2 a year. Kept day-to-day records of her arrival.
1. How would you know I rote learnt them
2. lol

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
1. How would you know I rote learnt them
2. lol
1. U still ask me stupid questions regarding basic concepts. ie, when the question is altered slightly differently to the textbook you don't know how to answer it.
2. I'm not much of a fan-boy

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
1. U still ask me stupid questions regarding basic concepts. ie, when the question is altered slightly differently to the textbook you don't know how to answer it.
give me an example

(this happens a lot though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)