Is 6 days of pastpapers enough? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys.. my time is limited and i only have 6 days to study maths after english?

Do you think it would be okay? Considering i go full out (3-4 pastpapers a day).

Im just worried -.-...... But yeah i've been averaging 78-85/105... from HSC 1990's-2010.

Best was 90/105 (2010 paper)

HSC
It depends what your aim is. I don't think 3-4 past papers a day is good for you. 1-2 is probably best. Your brain won't cope with the amount of content!

enoilgam

HSC
It depends what your aim is. I don't think 3-4 past papers a day is good for you. 1-2 is probably best. Your brain won't cope with the amount of content!
This. 78-85 is probably just enough for a band 5 I reakon (mid 90's/120 is usually band 6).

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I don't see how maths can be improved overnight o_O it's a subject built upon years of habits. Whether those habits were good or bad...the exam will decide that. Yes it requires constant execution to stay active in the mind, but that's pretty much it.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
This. 78-85 is probably just enough for a band 5 I reakon (mid 90's/120 is usually band 6).
What do you mean by 78-85? o_O??

btw i've done 2-3 a day and my mind has coped!!! but yeah as you stated if im doing it simultaneosly for 6 days my mind will blow up so ill keep at max 2 ! ty

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't see how maths can be improved overnight o_O it's a subject built upon years of habits. Whether those habits were good or bad...the exam will decide that. Yes it requires constant execution to stay active in the mind, but that's pretty much it.
I've done constant revision throughout the whole year ^.^ but yeah i've just been unlucky in multiple ways since trials T.T..

enoilgam

HSC

btw i've done 2-3 a day and my mind has coped!!! but yeah as you stated if im doing it simultaneosly for 6 days my mind will blow up so ill keep at max 2 ! ty
I mean 78/120 is probably borderline band 5. I guess you know best when it comes to what you can handle. I only did one past paper a day - anymore was too much for me.

michaeljennings

HSC
I've done constant revision throughout the whole year ^.^ but yeah i've just been unlucky in multiple ways since trials T.T..
Depends where you're losing your marks when you do your past papers.
Are they mainly silly mistakes? Or do you just not know how to do questions.
If its the first one, then keep doing heaps of past papers in test conditions until you can minimise silly mistakes.
But if you're not getting maximum marks because you dont actually know how to do questions, then work from textbooks for your weaker topics.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

Just out of curiosity, how are you managing your study time with the upcoming English exams? wouldn't your focus be set on that now, rather than maths, since maths is still about a week and 2 days away. :/

HSC
Hey guys.. my time is limited and i only have 6 days to study maths after english?

Do you think it would be okay? Considering i go full out (3-4 pastpapers a day).

Im just worried -.-...... But yeah i've been averaging 78-85/105... from HSC 1990's-2010.

i'm basically in the same pos as you so what i'm going to do is on fri-sat attempt 2-3 past papers with a plan (don't know what the plan is yet though - by plan i mean like question 1-8 in 90min then the rest on 9 & 10 for eg) and then do as many 8-10's as possible in the remaining days

ultimately i want to get close to full marks from 1-8 and drop only about 3 marks in q 9 and 6 in q10

Sammydubbs

HSC
I mean 78/120 is probably borderline band 5. I guess you know best when it comes to what you can handle. I only did one past paper a day - anymore was too much for me.
Man 78/120 is 65% as a raw mark I know 2 unit scales well but I don't think it's quite that good more than likely a band 5 is a raw mark of 90.

taeyang

HSC
Ok to get better at 2u or Extension 1 all you have to do is NOT rush into it.. sit and unfold the question in your head, READ the question.. As an example there was a question from a test a while ago that ended up you having to show (binomial theorem) something like (don't know honestly.. but whatever).. I had so much trouble initially because my initial thought was to "expand" or do something crazy.... But after I remembered to slow things down and actually look at the question i figured "how do you get the (n+1)(n+2) on the bottom... hmmm.... Ah double intergration"...

So that's my story, especially with q9 and q10, they are meant to separate the ext1 from the 2u, BUT that doesn't mean you can't do them, JUST THINK.. it's not about how many past papers.. glgl

barbernator

HSC
Man 78/120 is 65% as a raw mark I know 2 unit scales well but I don't think it's quite that good more than likely a band 5 is a raw mark of 90.
a raw mark of 94/120 got a 90 HSC mark last year, so 78/120 could translate to low 80's

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

why are you getting that low? just focus on doing whatever's wrong -> trouble with superannuation? etc? don't bother doing past papers if you're averaging the same thing, go through what you're getting wrong and figure out what's wrong. do you not understand a topic? are you taking too long? work on whatever's a problem!!

it will be okay :) instead of 3-4 past papers a day, do 1 past paper, 2 hours of revision, 1 past paper and 2 hours of revision. re-do every single question you get wrong in the past paper or you will not remember how to do it correctly (just looking at the answers isn't good enough!)

doing it by topic is also helpful. i found i was averaging low 70s/84 for maths extension + being slow, but then I hxc did all the hsc questions at once (e.g. everything in motion from 1989-2005) for some topics that took me longer to do and now i am getting much faster/more confident in those topics when I do a past paper every couple of days :) do the same for 2u and it may help. good luck!

Sammydubbs

HSC
a raw mark of 94/120 got a 90 HSC mark last year, so 78/120 could translate to low 80's
I'll take your word for it :) but I just think that a band three raw mark couldn't get scaled up to an equivalent band five, just my thoughts though.

barbernator

HSC
It is not scaling that changes raw mark to HSC marks, it is aligning, scaling occurs after and is separate from your HSC marks

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
why are you getting that low? just focus on doing whatever's wrong -> trouble with superannuation? etc? don't bother doing past papers if you're averaging the same thing, go through what you're getting wrong and figure out what's wrong. do you not understand a topic? are you taking too long? work on whatever's a problem!!

it will be okay :) instead of 3-4 past papers a day, do 1 past paper, 2 hours of revision, 1 past paper and 2 hours of revision. re-do every single question you get wrong in the past paper or you will not remember how to do it correctly (just looking at the answers isn't good enough!)

doing it by topic is also helpful. i found i was averaging low 70s/84 for maths extension + being slow, but then I hxc did all the hsc questions at once (e.g. everything in motion from 1989-2005) for some topics that took me longer to do and now i am getting much faster/more confident in those topics when I do a past paper every couple of days :) do the same for 2u and it may help. good luck!
Thanks i'll try this!

I might consider doing for the next 5 days. 2 pastpapers and textbook revision!

Jaymay

HSC
Ok to get better at 2u or Extension 1 all you have to do is NOT rush into it.. sit and unfold the question in your head, READ the question.. As an example there was a question from a test a while ago that ended up you having to show (binomial theorem) something like (don't know honestly.. but whatever).. I had so much trouble initially because my initial thought was to "expand" or do something crazy.... But after I remembered to slow things down and actually look at the question i figured "how do you get the (n+1)(n+2) on the bottom... hmmm.... Ah double intergration"...

So that's my story, especially with q9 and q10, they are meant to separate the ext1 from the 2u, BUT that doesn't mean you can't do them, JUST THINK.. it's not about how many past papers.. glgl
thisthishthistshitshithsithitthtishthsithshtisshttthhisss

by doing this aswell you will save time by not fucking about those silly little question 7 and 8's! Follow this mofo's

HSC
I don't think q9/10 and q6/7 (for Ext1) are supposed to split between the Ext and Ext2 people...then if you did Ext1 they would give you 100! Which is not the case.

These later questions really test your ability to string together a range of topics and come up with a way to solve it. You really need to look at the big picture and sometimes ignore the big fat algebraic expressions for dl/dx or SOMETHING like that. Look at the bigger picture and find the quickest way to solve the question effectively.

Sure, Q9/10 are long, but they will not take up that much. It is not impossible to complete these questions and if you are in a pickle of pages and pages of working...something has probably gone wrong. A simple minus/plus sign could make the difference. Carefully attack these questions and continuously check your work. Often huge terms drop out or you can factorise so it becomes beautiful but it often is ruined by some little mistake!

Also, write properly! Oftentimes I find myself getting 4s becoming 9s and 0s becoming 1s. ESPECIALLY for the later questions, you must think clearly and work systematically!

Good luck for Monday! See you on the other end!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)