Is 850 words each english advance essay enough for me to get full marks? (1 Viewer)

kevin321

HSC
write big words to give the illusion you wrote more like, 6 words a line

deswa1

HSC
Is 850 words each english advance essay enough for me to get full marks?

I am a slow writer..
Yes. 850 words of very high quality will get you 20- note very high quality

Some markers actually get their first impressions from how many pages you write (stupid.. I know. Well at least in my school )
This- that's why its also important to have a nice intro- impressions count

quality not quantity.
Length is strength imo

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Can I just say ever heard of quality over quantity? Trust me I've seen this in practice. I study a lot and my friend doesn't. She's naturally good at english though. She would never write as much as I would but she'd get 19/20 for writing not that much i.e about 800 words at the max! It's all about answering the question, having a strong thesis and analysing techniques. Personally, I'd never write more than about 1000 words and I got 19 and 20/20 for trials. Just saying - don't focus on the amount you write. Focus on whether you know your ideas

deswa1

HSC
Quality + Quantity > Quality or Quantity. I don't know personally why everyone always goes quality over quantity:

Obviously though an 800 word essay that answers the question is WAY better to a 1000 word one that doesn't but other things being equal, the longer the better. Though you can easily get full marks with 850 words (if its very good)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's often a compromise between quality and quantity.

If you rush and write too much, often, quality can be lost and hence, gets a poor mark.
If your essay is too short, you won't have enough - quality of what you written might be good but it lacks depth and hence, gets a poor mark.

Personally, I think there's a balance at around 900 words. You will write enough to be able to get into depth but you won't have too little that the essay is empty.

enoilgam

HSC
Quality + Quantity > Quality or Quantity. I don't know personally why everyone always goes quality over quantity:

Obviously though an 800 word essay that answers the question is WAY better to a 1000 word one that doesn't but other things being equal, the longer the better. Though you can easily get full marks with 850 words (if its very good)
Exactly - your essay ideally should have both. As my Modern teacher used to say, quantity sometimes has a certain quality to it.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly - you're essay ideally should have both. As my Modern teacher used to say, quantity sometimes has a certain quality to it.
you are essay should ideally have both

HSC
N/A
Hi guys!

950-1000 words is okay, you won't be disadvantaged significantly because of your word count if you have 950 words down on paper. It really is borderline though, you should be aiming for the ~1050 region ideally. We believe that 850 words will start to affect your overall mark as far as word count is concerned.

A common concept that's agreed upon by most of NSW's highest achievers in English is that the best essays must have quality AND quantity (i.e. a minimum of 1000~ words is needed for your essay to be competitive). HOWEVER, the latter MUST NOT come at the expense of answering the question to a less intimate and engaging degree. Get as many ideas, analysis and examples down as possible, but cut back and focus on the question if you need to.

An 800 word essay that answers the question might be capped at 18-19/20, but a 1200 word essay that does a poor job of engaging the given question would be capped at 13-14/20. Fail to engage the question, and you're doomed to the nether regions of the C range no matter how many words you have down.

Regards,
Delta Education

HK-

HSC
and then in another essay i got 15/20 i wrote like 9 or 10 pages of those exam booklets man its too hard

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
What I've been told is that a minimum of 900 words is required for a standard 'advanced english essay'. All my essays range between 900-1000 words and I only managed to write about 920-950 words for each in the trials. However, I have heard of people who wrote about 850-880 words that got an A-range (17 or 18). It is important that you answer the essay question concisely. However, a person who writes about 950+ words is more likely to get a higher mark than one who writes 850+ words. Thus quantity is quality in a sense.

xOllyx

HSC
Wow... I'm aiming for 1.1k each paper. And i thought i wrote slowly...

Rawf

HSC
Wow... I'm aiming for 1.1k each paper. And i thought i wrote slowly...
That's probably faster than majority of the state lol
I just recently bumped each my modules up to 960 words and I'm really worried I ain't gonna get it all down on paper.
for aos in trials, I spent much too long on my essay which was only 950 words and that left me 10 mins left for my creative (I had to skip a question in short answers too)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I got ~17/20 for all my essays.

Shortest was ~600 words, largest was ~850

But I did standard

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously...
Yeah. Probs ~650-700 in the exam though (I got 17.5/20 for that one, meaning one marker gave it 18/20 and the other 17/20 lol)

That's like 2.5 paragraphs for me dude xD
Me too, but in this case I had linked two texts together in each paragraph so I effectively did what you'd normally do in 4-6 paragraphs (+ intro + conclusion) in 2 paragraphs (+ intro + conclusion).

I usually wrote ~2-3 paragraphs (+ intro + conclusion) per essay, with each being ~180-340 words.

YAY!

Rawf

HSC
Can a 700 word creative which is very descriptive get full marks?
Creatives usually dont have to be as long as essays. Mm maybe try for 750. You might be able to reach full though. My creative is 744 words and my teacher said its a potential 12/15

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)