Is a 'deep' concept neccessary? (1 Viewer)

Thowra

HSC
Seeing as there's only about 4 months left before I hand in my BOW, my teacher's given up trying to change my concept, so now she keeps telling me to improve it and that it's too shallow.
I just don't get it - how deep is a concept meant to be? My current one is something along the lines of 'eagles represent the fierce beauty of nature and freedom', and I'm painting a series of eagles. Is this not 'conceptually rich'? I have no idea how to develop it further. Looks fine to me! :mad1:

l::.:LIAM:.::l

HSC
N/A
It'll be fine Thowra

Just make up symbols and representations

Maybe read some art reviews for some examples

johony

HSC
just carry on doing your work as normal and the concept will just come

nothing is worse when you have a deep concept but have nothing to show for it. :(

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
No.
If you are a good artist technically then focus on that more than the concept. There are some people out there that find it difficult to work with a "deep" concept and so the course thankfully also caters for people who are simply awesome with artistic techniques. You don't need to worry too much if you don't like working with a "deep" concept.

If you are worried though, once you finish your body of work just write a long, winded lie of an artist's statement about the concept of your work. No one will ever know.

HSC
no 'deep' concept needed - the examiners will make their own concept out of your work provided you don't send an artists statement (so don't!!) because they'll come up with something so completely and utterly subjective, wanky and better then anything you or your teacher will think of.

44Ronin

HSC
tell your teacher/assessor that art is subjective lol

MetroMattums

HSC
You may want to consider the additional question of why this is so...for instance how do the eagles inherit this sort of characteristic? Is it instilled into them because of their given physical features, or is it simply the perception of humanity that eagles are like so?

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
your concept sounds so much like that b.o.w exhibited at art express, that collection of works one of all those dead birds and teenagers made-up in bird feathers etc. 'Person/prison'

the concept kinda is important...

Angria

HSC
nope. so long as your techinque is tops and, quote syllabus, 'layers of meaning' are evident. i.e. just use ambiguous symbols, colours, tones etc. that can be interpreted in various ways and you'll be fine.

gl :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)