Is band 6 in 2U maths still attainable? (1 Viewer)

stereoheart

HSC
Hello :)

A lurker friend of mine doesnt have an account but has a question so here goes :

So shes had 2 assessment tasks already. One worth 15% and the other worth 30%. In the first one she got 56% and the second one she predicts about 50-70%.

Considering thats 45% already gone...can she still get a band 60 in 2U maths or should she just be aiming for a band 5 now?

The reason she got suckish marks is not related to her ability but more so her study skills so the work itself isnt too hard.

What do you think?

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Firstly its all about ranks not marks so no one can know for sure whether she will get a band 6 or not going off the information you have provided.

Peeik

HSC
We need to know the ranks of the exam in your class and the rank of your school. But it doesnt look too good unfortunately for your friend :(

stereoheart

HSC
We need to know the ranks of the exam in your class and the rank of your school. But it doesnt look too good unfortunately for your friend :(
the school is 88(ish) but they're not fantastic at maths. There are the accelerants which tend to do up in the high end then the rest of the cohort who arent as strong.

D94

HSC
N/A
the school is 88(ish) but they're not fantastic at maths. There are the accelerants which tend to do up in the high end then the rest of the cohort who arent as strong.
School rank is good (considering there are 600+ schools in the state), though you say they're not good in maths :s TBH, it's not looking good for your friend; maybe a low-mid Band 5 is in reach. Since you have to consider the difficulty of the exam, I doubt the exam is "that" hard in that not even an 80% is achievable.

stereoheart

HSC
Ok what about this:

you know how so far she has done a task that is 15% and 30% so 45% altogether..

isnt that just 22.5% of her whole 2U mark though? If we consider:

45/100 X 50 since the assessment bit counts for 50% of her whole mark.

Therefore, she could still get a band 6 provided she gets 90% or more in the next tasks?

I want to say this to her but I dont want to give false hope so what do you guys reckon?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok what about this:

Therefore, she could still get a band 6 provided she gets 90% or more in the next tasks?

I want to say this to her but I dont want to give false hope so what do you guys reckon?
Well it will be absolutely impossible for her to get Band 6 without reviewing her approach to the subject.

Just tell her to fix her habits rather than telling her what is or isn't possible.

deswa1

HSC
Ok what about this:

Looking at her previous assessment marks, it will be pretty hard to suddenly improve to this mark range. I'm not saying its impossible (I don't know her), but from a realistic point of view, if you're a 90%+ candidate, without study you should be hitting more than 56%...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well technically yes anything is possible, but the probability of a band 6 is low in her case. But she's probably good (if as you say good rank school and her ranks aren't too bad despite the marks) for a high band 5 if she works hard.

You can say to here she has 55% of her school assessment left, and her HSC left and you can make drastic improvements. From mid course reports to final reports, I've known kids to jump about 12 ranks.

deswa1

HSC
Anything is possible. Theoretically she could get 1st in the state if the rest of her year bombs out and she ranks first internally and then gets 100% externally. What you're looking for is for someone to tell you that she can do it so you don't feel like you're giving her false home- yes its possible, but probably not too likely.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yes it is *technically* possible but if you're getting those type of marks it generally means u dont have tje aptitude to get a band 6

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Possible but unlikely. But could happen if she picks her game up to save her rank, and then bosses the actual HSC.

it's just that most people who boss the HSC end didn't flunk out in an assessment, yeah they might have been one of two that they did sub par in(which they deem a fail in their eyes), but they don't tend to bomb them and get great marks in the end.

stereoheart

HSC
I know she doesnt have a great chance of coming top 5 because the accelerants are pretty much nesting there considering its their second time in the course, they find it alot easier.

And its true I dont want her to feel unmotivated but having said that, she has 12 units so if she knows that maybe she has less of a chance in maths then she will focus alittle less on that etc. Thats why I also want to make sure that I dont say there is no hope when there could be. But then again, someone once told us that you cant really predict such things at all because alot can change during and after hsc.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Ok what about this:

Yes it is possible. It is also possible that my mum might win the $4m lotto in 2 hrs but I'm not holding my breath.

Possible =/= probable

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok what about this:

No, this is all wrong.

When they say "50% of your final HSC mark", they mean the "moderated assessment mark", not raw mark. What you have here is the raw mark, which must be moderated according to calculations involving her final raw mark and highest/lowest HSC exam marks.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well the accelerants would probs all get band 6s, if she's close to them at the end of the year that's when she'd have a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)