Is English the hardest language to learn? (1 Viewer)

liborenglish

HSC
What do you think? English looks easy, but when I try to read news in a newspaper, it's a great problem to understand it.

Magical Kebab

HSC
That doesn't mean it's the hardest language to learn.

And trust me, if u focus u will understand it. If not, read it a couple of times.

leesh95

HSC
For me English tbh is really easy. I don't have a vast vocabulary or anything but overall I believe it's one of the easiest language to pick up.

Maybe you should keep a dictionary near you at first when you read but trust me with time and practice it becomes really easy.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Idk, it's a weird language in since quite a bit of it's a conglomeration of terms from many other languages - French etc. so it can be phonetic and times, and then...randomly not phonetic at other times.

So it isn't THAT easy.

Verify

HSC
Yes. I am so glad I was born/attended school here when I see my friends from overseas struggle (a lot) to learn the language.

nifkeh

HSC
Chinese isn't that bad initially.. the grammar is easier than english /however/ writing characters from the top of your head can be easily forgotten

HKspec009

HSC
Just learn how to swear in multiple languages, then you're set.
English compared to a lot of other languages may seem hard because of how vast the language is as it utilises words from other languages latin,french,etc.

funstudy

HSC
There are definitely aspects of English that are difficult/don't make real sense.

iBibah

HSC
English is one of the easiest languages to learn.

Arabic and Chinese are what you consider hard.

shapel

HSC
I don't think English is the hardest language to learn. Who don't agree with me, I recommend they have a look at this website: www.newsinlevels.com Everything is simple and it shows that English is very easy and anybody can learn it. Of course, there are many ways to practise English. :D

What do you think? English looks easy, but when I try to read news in a newspaper, it's a great problem to understand it.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
English is one of the easiest languages to learn.

Arabic and Chinese are what you consider hard.
I have heard Arabic has fairly logical grammar and is set out quite neatly so can you assume it's easier than English which is rather haphazard in comparison?

Bobbo1

HSC
English is one of the most complex languages for a person to learn. You guys might think this is funny but that's only because we grew up with it. I mean which other language has these complex rules, pronunciations etc. For e.g. "cup" and "put" have the same vowel put completely different pronunciations...

jadiskris

HSC
My family migrated here to Australia about six years ago and I have to say I find English as one of the easiest languages.

Of course I had trouble with it initially but how much you put in is exactly what you get back so I think the most important thing right now is put in your best effort and be patient. Language is not something you can learn overnight, it takes time and dedication. Although you may not understand say those newspaper articles you're reading for now, so what? Keep going because eventually your English will improve. Reading books and writing narratives or even simply keeping a personal diary will definitely help. I even started off with picture books at first because I couldn't read anything else, if you have to then why not? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Anyway, I think the hardest languages are Chinese, Arabic and Russian.
I actually have some Chinese background in me and I find it so damn difficult.
For me anyway.

lisamay

HSC
English is also not my first language, but to be honest I don't think that it is the hardest language to learn. I would also think that the opposite is true, it is one of the easiest in it's pronunciation and especially in the grammar. Writing English at an academic standard can be quite hard at the beginning, that is definitely true, but I would still think that it is one of the easier languages to learn. Before moving to Australia my family lived in Texas for a few years after winning the US green card through the lottery system. They took me and my brother to the States in search for a better life, I was already 14 years old at the time, but I remembered that I learned English within a few months. I think after one year I was fluent, after two years it had almost become my first spoken language. I would say that it English was quite easy to learn, especially when compared to some other languages. It's just the academic writing that I would consider to be somewhat challenging.

Regards,
Lisa May

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)