Is hsc English a real subject? (1 Viewer)

Miss Neutrino

HSC
HAHAHAHAHAHHA

english is the best subject there is. the problem is maths...who really gives a shit whether the its a parabola or an exponential.

maths makes no sense :headbang:

msn : i_fuked_hendrix@hotmail.com

Year 11. 3u english. 2u math. french. legal. ancient. drama
At least you weren't forced to take math against your will.

I hate English with a passion but I don't think it's a "fake" subject. The thing I'm totally opposed against, though, is the compulsory study of English. Think about the uproar that would've been raised if people were FORCED to study Math or Physics or any other subject. I wouldn't really care because those are the subjects I'm good at anyway, but what about the people who aren't? No matter how hard they try, they're still going to get average marks compared to the people who actually enjoy the subjects.

I just think it's completely unfair. Nothing like that should be compulsory.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
engrish see, helps you look past everyday conversation and writings to find out what lies beneath its fabric

HSC
engrish see, helps you look past everyday conversation and writings to find out what lies beneath its fabric
lol u can work out what lies ''beneath the fabric'' using common sence. I know people who have never taken a lesson in English before and are excellent in analysing rhetoric. English is a just a bunch of made up bs thesis statements and supporting it with more bs that we DONT know if it were what the composer intended but what we THINK.
- i think if we had a massive debate to why english should be compulsory theres no way the people FOR english could win

yaz.jayne

HSC
I just don't see the point in English, the teachers at my school are on another planet, it shouldn't be compulsory for years 11 and 12, or maybe just not compulsory for year 12 ?

Maths should be a compulsory subject as these are skills that you will actually use in life :)

Bek93

HSC
I agree that some things in English are stupid. I'm good at it though so i don't mind haha. I would choose English even if it wasn't compulsory so i don't really mind if people think it shouldn't be compulsory.
However, it's pointless to argue that math should be compulsory. For those that say it is part of life, i don't agree. Yes maybe some math, like that in general maths. But what I'm learning in 2U is just stupid. I will never use it unless i choose to be an engineer or something like that. 2U maths is not a part of life unless you choose a career involving it.

English>Math :)

dp624

HSC
I agree that some things in English are stupid. I'm good at it though so i don't mind haha. I would choose English even if it wasn't compulsory so i don't really mind if people think it shouldn't be compulsory.
However, it's pointless to argue that math should be compulsory. For those that say it is part of life, i don't agree. Yes maybe some math, like that in general maths. But what I'm learning in 2U is just stupid. I will never use it unless i choose to be an engineer or something like that. 2U maths is not a part of life unless you choose a career involving it.

English>Math :)
It can also be said that HSC english isn't a part of life unless you choose it to be. Yes, maybe some english, like that in year 10 (general communication, writing, etc) - but deep analysis of techniques is rather stupid.

Math > English

Dooga

HSC
This is Australia, you need English.

not as a subject you dont

personally making english compulsury is bullshit

when the hell am i going to need to write a sonnet or look at a movie and find concepts of belonging????
and no one speaks in shakespeare language anymore

english class is one of the most pointless things devised by mankind

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
HSC english doesn't teach you shit about the language or eloquence, it teaches you about literature.

sure it does, i'm a modern day Mr Darcy now - my arrogant scowling attitude has all the babes swooning, especially when i chill in lakes with white tops on.

E

Empyrean444

I suppose if the set texts were better, english could be a good subject...
also whats the point of studying shakespearean texts, its got nothing to do with our time, except probably some prevalent themes explored in them, but then again you could get that out of any modern book...
But these prevalent and eternally relevant themes will almost invariably be expressed and communicated in an inferior way (and hence our learning of them must suffer too) in any modern texts. While I do not necessarily like a lot of Shakespeare, I can recognise why he is respected. I personally think that the literature we study in English is not classical enough (especially in ext 1) and we end up with a lot of modern crap.

E

Empyrean444

HSC english doesn't teach you shit about the language or eloquence, it teaches you about literature.
And where else can you learn about eloquence and language as effectually as from the study of literature?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
And where else can you learn about eloquence and language as effectually as from the study of literature?
Not from high school study (im talking about 'language' in grammatical terms).

Last edited:

EvilRobotMan

HSC
2+2=5 is my personal interpretation. I won't have maths telling me what to think and why, I'll make up my own mind on the basis of my values and experiences.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
2+2=5 is my personal interpretation. I won't have maths telling me what to think and why, I'll make up my own mind on the basis of my values and experiences.
what experiences and values have you encountered that brought you to the conclusion that 2+2=5?

E

Empyrean444

English is NOT a real subject...pure waste of time!
Maths is more important because it's the universal language
e.g. 1+1=2 wherever you go in the world
Presuming of course that you are using the Hindu Arabic system. In addition, words carry far more meaning that a series of numbers on a page. Maths can be communicated by the English language; most of what we place in the category of 'English' cannot be communicated by numbers. Maths is anything but a universal language.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Presuming of course that you are using the Hindu Arabic system. In addition, words carry far more meaning that a series of numbers on a page. Maths can be communicated by the English language; most of what we place in the category of 'English' cannot be communicated by numbers. Maths is anything but a universal language.
lol he is on a mission to save English!

RuffWoof

HSC
yes HSC english is a real subject
-though there are significant amounts of steaming bullshit that is needed to be served.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)