Is it better to type or hand-write notes? (1 Viewer)

AtlasX

HSC
I'm currently in year 12 and I was just wondering, is it better to type or hand-write my notes? I was thinking about doing both but I'm afraid if it will take my time and therefore I won't have the time to study...
I do the following subjects
- Adv. English
- Studies of Religion II
- Modern History
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- PDHPE

kewon

HSC
most people type because its clearer and if you lose them you can always reprint
however i know of many people who completely hand wrote all their notes and got state rankings e.g in chem, phys
english definitely type up your notes and essay as its much easier to add to, edit which you should be doing all year.
and taking the time to write your notes is part of studying....

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Whichever method you choose, the only way to LEARN the content is to apply it to past papers etc.

Kowther

HSC
I find writing out notes takes too much time, so typing is more ideal but essentially it is up to you. :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Depends on which method helps you learn better. If you write out your notes and you understand them enough, you probably don't even need to study too hard.

I like typing up my notes and doing past papers to practise what I've learnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bluecrisps

HSC
It is said that if you hand write, you will retain information better, but if you type, you can constantly add information and seeing as your subjects don't require much equations and has a lot of content, it would be better for you to type. Therefore, I think you should type up your study notes, hand write notes in class, do practice papers hand written. The more hand writing you do the better practice for the HSC as each test is 3 hrs long and ur hands will prob be very tired.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I hand write all of my notes and find I retain information loads better that way. However I try to regularly scan them because if I were to lose them otherwise it would be a disaster.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I have to say it's better to type your notes up because then it allows you to add and change things that you might have missed.

Writing them out helps consolidate your knowledge about your notes.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
i myself hand write my notes as it helps me to remember my info (imo it's the process of making the notes that helps the learning). i average about 90-100 WPM when i type so i pretty much blindly copy :/ however i do plan to type it up as well as as a back up copy or in case i lose my book or it gets wet :L

fishrushed

HSC
What I did with notes is hand write and then type it up. It makes you go over your notes twice and because of this, you can edit it and cross reference with a study guide or two if needed. What I'd recommend is in class (and in free periods if you have any), try to get as much written notes done as possible and then type it up when you get home. That way, you have typed notes, and still have time to practise knowledge on questions.
I did this technique for PDHPE and it worked quite well for me.

bricko

HSC
I find that doing notes its easier to type so you can add, but then as apart of my studying I write out a more summarised version of them. However thats only for study notes, for class notes I always write them out otherwise I find myself never going back to the notes after ive typed them!

scenario

HSC
Type. You don't have time to hand write and you can change things. Also if you're thinking of stealing notes from different sources and piece them together to form one awesome one (what i did) all you have to do is copy and paste.:D

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
I'm currently in year 12 and I was just wondering, is it better to type or hand-write my notes? I was thinking about doing both but I'm afraid if it will take my time and therefore I won't have the time to study...
I do the following subjects
- Adv. English
- Studies of Religion II
- Modern History
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- PDHPE
I hand wrote my exams the entire year and it worked a charm, particularly if you are doing content heavy subjects as it saves you from spending a lot of time memorising right before exams. Maybe two weeks before the trials/hsc I started typing, fixing and organising them, I then printed them out and used them to hand write essay plans.

belinda1005

HSC
When I completed my HSC last year, I hand wrote my study notes and this worked for me as I thoroughly retained all the information needed which followed the syllabus directly. This was also accompanied by doing past papers under the time limits prior to the HSC. The more hand writing you do, the better practice for the HSC as most exams are 3 hrs long and your hand can get quite sore. I know of many people who completely hand wrote all their notes and got state rankings.

However, this is completely upon how your memory stores the information and which method helps you learn better.

AsianFrustratio

4ubiochemphysbrah
HSC
I always type my notes. It's infinitely more convenient than writing them down. Personally I prefer really detailed notes, so typing notes is so much quicker and efficient than handwriting. Also, if you have shitty handwriting like me, the prettiness of typed notes makes it easier to study.

It's also pretty convenient to save typed up notes onto dropbox or something, so that I can access my notes whenever I'm out, waiting for the bus or train, on the toilet, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)