Is it better to type or hand-write notes? (1 Viewer)

suika

HSC
I've never tried typing out my notes, but I'm always on the computer when I'm revising with my friend for a subject so we usually type out revision stuff through chats.

I was thinking about typing out my notes and then re-writing them in simple form once I've covered a topic in each syllabus point, but I think its too much effort. I also think writing out the whole syllabus is too much effort, and that if I type out my notes I won't remember much of them and I'll lose handwriting skills for exams - which on another note, one person from my school got this injury from writing too many essays about 2-4 weeks before the HSC started, which worries me. But I might type out my notes for this term and if it doesn't work out for me, I guess I know what I'm doing in my summer holidays.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Generally I handwrite class notes and then type it up nowadays, more efficient. though I like handwriting notes because it gets in some writing exercise and it helps me remember things better.

pigas

HSC
That really depends. If you summarise your notes every day after school, you should write them out. Then a few weeks before exams, type them up so you can read from them. I find writing them does take time however for me I can remember the content better. Of course, this shouldn't be your only way of studying. Past papers, practice questions, watching videos etc. help to explain and understand the content too.

If you study a few weeks before exams.. type them up or you'll be there forever.

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
I found hand writing my notes to be a hell of a lot better for me. It also doubled up with training my hand for writing quickly in exams.
Having said that, the choice is entirely up to you.

quriko

HSC
What favvify said. Typing is far more organised, definitely, that's why I stuck with them from Year 8-10, but I found that my writing became increasingly slow and messy without the practice. Since you're making notes either way, I think if you handwrite them you'll be more prepared for the HSC :)

lollipops 1

HSC
N/A
I agree with quriko. Also when you are typing up notes, there's always the chance of getting distracted by the internet and other things.

Last edited:

suika

HSC
I agree with quriko. Also when you are typing up notes, there's always the chance of getting distracted by the internet and other things.
I get distracted either way. If I'm doing an assignment I'd be looking up youtube videos, and if I was doing homework or studying I'd be on my phone. I really need to sort myself out. But I do better without the laptop.

Also I think if you write down stuff and then read it over and try and memorise (or even just mentally test yourself here and there) it's probably a good idea because I guess it sinks in more rather than typing up notes because I can't even remember what I wrote on my assignment and I got full marks u___u (which... was meant to help me with my prem yearlies for legal studies... but that didn't work out)

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
I think you should be doing at least 10-20% of your notes in writing (or have one or two subjects with mostly written notes), with all timed practice essays written to keep your hand used to writing in exam conditions. I think writing does help in retaining information as well, it takes much longer to write something out and remember it as typing is something most kids our age do without thinking much about what is being written. I do notes on my computer for the classes where the teacher talks fast, and write for the classes where the teacher has a PowerPoint summarising all their information that that they email after class, and I just write down any extra ideas that they say verbally to gain advantage over the people who just blindly type all the points on the board. Then I type them up and edit them on my computer afterwards. Ever since following this system I've found it much more comfortable to write and my hand doesn't get so tired as it did during Year 11, when I typed all my notes. While writing notes doesn't work for all classes, I still think all practice questions and essays should be handwritten to improve legibility. I think typing up study notes makes it easier to edit.

tldr: A combination of the two should do you alright.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should be doing at least 10-20% of your notes in writing (or have one or two subjects with mostly written notes), with all timed practice essays written to keep your hand used to writing in exam conditions. I think writing does help in retaining information as well, it takes much longer to write something out and remember it as typing is something most kids our age do without thinking much about what is being written. I do notes on my computer for the classes where the teacher talks fast, and write for the classes where the teacher has a PowerPoint summarising all their information that that they email after class, and I just write down any extra ideas that they say verbally to gain advantage over the people who just blindly type all the points on the board. Then I type them up and edit them on my computer afterwards. Ever since following this system I've found it much more comfortable to write and my hand doesn't get so tired as it did during Year 11, when I typed all my notes. While writing notes doesn't work for all classes, I still think all practice questions and essays should be handwritten to improve legibility. I think typing up study notes makes it easier to edit.

tldr: A combination of the two should do you alright.
Nice tips gurl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)