Is it hard making friends at uni? (1 Viewer)

The Jester

HSC
Making friends at university can be easy or hard, depending on how you treat it.

Look, if some of your friends from high-school come to uni with you, you'll be able to find some time between classes to make friends.

Furthermore, you'll more than likely make friends in your classes, and since you'll have similar classes you'll hang out and shit.

Combine this with friends your school friends drag along, making friends is relatively easy.

However, if you don't make the effort you'll be lonely, without any friends and a complete loser.

And now I'm going to shoot myself because I just realised I have been speaking to someone about "How To Make Friends".

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
hot tip: join in conversations, uninvited and announce your presence to the lecture hall.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^That's one way of doing that. There's this very outgoing girl, everyone knew who she was from the moment first year started because she sneezed very loudly (not in a bad, disgusting way--it just came out loud that's all), was always putting her hand up to contribute (and usefully too), and she was one of about...ten Caucasians in the whole of my grade.

So I guess the sneezing loudly announced her presence to us all.

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
I'm surprised you're not from UNSW. The way you speak of caucasians.

Shit. Asian is in Caucasian.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
lol @ all the 08ers giving advice in the thread. seriously, fuck off.

Whoever has had to do that math problem with how many handshakes are performed in a room full of people? Thats what its like at uni. You run into people who study the same course as you, hence have similar interests. You meet new people at the unibar, you have a few drinks, you shoot some pool. You meet some regulars in your tutorials, a bit like school, at least some familiar faces to talk to.

Never be afraid to make new friends. When you start uni most of your highschool friends will fall away into their own circles.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Get seriously involved in student politics, imo
Helps if you already have a base at uni, like I had a brother + knew a few kids from my school

Also, when youre informing people that theyre going to hell, do it with a smile; it signifies peaceful intentions and generates goodwill

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Iron said:
Helps if you already have a base at uni, like I had a brother + knew a few kids from my school

Also, when youre informing people that theyre going to hell, do it with a smile; it signifies peaceful intentions and generates goodwill
I'm thinking of joining the neofascist party. yeh?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The vast majority of people at uni are ignorant bogan fuckwits who's only interest lies in getting drunk, laid, not a single interesting idea between them. cunts who aren't worth knowing.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I'm thinking of joining the neofascist party. yeh?
Young Libs have all the fun
Young Labor, esp right wing, more grueling, more serious. Natural party of student government

Want a good time or a meaningful time?
Self interest, or service to a cause greater my fren?

Graney ur bitter man. U need a friend to thaw ur mighty iceberg of a heart
/hug/

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm surprised you're not from UNSW. The way you speak of caucasians.
Gotta agree with you on that one. Pharmacy must be one of the very few courses at USYD which are predominantly Asian. I have much respect for Aussies though. But most of the Caucasians in pharmacy aren't Aussie anyhow.

Whoever has had to do that math problem with how many handshakes are performed in a room full of people? Thats what its like at uni. You run into people who study the same course as you, hence have similar interests. You meet new people at the unibar, you have a few drinks, you shoot some pool. You meet some regulars in your tutorials, a bit like school, at least some familiar faces to talk to.
Completely agree. And uni can be a very small world after all too. I've re-met people in completely disparate situations. Like, a person at a uni friend's BBQ--see them at the clubs and socs functions. And maybe they're not completely disparate, but seeing as i don't have the luxury of 10 contact hours/week, it is not unreasonable to say that the chances of meeting them again in a different situation is quite low.

Re: iron--I stay well away from student politics. No time, and complete apathy. I suppose I could get involved if I really wanted to, but I don't really know anything anyway--catch 24 hey. Plus, I'd hate to be one of those annoying flier people, and I can't sustain a smile and talk at a hundred miles per hour for longer together.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I disagree, unless you like arguing in circles with single minded people about politics.

(for the record though - i did join a student political club lol), but really apart from the free booze - i really didn't care about politics enough to argue with opposite party views etc.

HSC
N/A
Graney said:
The vast majority of people at uni are ignorant bogan fuckwits who's only interest lies in getting drunk, laid, not a single interesting idea between them. cunts who aren't worth knowing.
a guy from newcastle giving advice on bogans? lmao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)