Is it necessary to actually read Frankenstein? (1 Viewer)

icesta1

HSC
So I'm not the kind of person to read... and i really cant be bothered to read this bloody book.

So I was wondering will i still be ok to just simply use sparknotes rather than reading the actual book? Does anyone know anyone whose never read the book and still did decent in the HSC for eng?

brendroid

HSC
So I'm not the kind of person to read... and i really cant be bothered to read this bloody book.

So I was wondering will i still be ok to just simply use sparknotes rather than reading the actual book? Does anyone know anyone whose never read the book and still did decent in the HSC for eng?
Well, you could do that and probably go okay. Only thing is though, it might be difficult to come up with your own idea of the text if you only know a plot summary and quotes from a secondary source. I'm not saying it isn't doable, but it's easier to come up with your own interpretation if you read the book and come up with your own quotes. Besides, it isn't really that thick a book, and if you don't like reading then why are you in Advanced English? You do have to do a bit of readin in that course.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
DO NOT READ THE BOOK! It is a total waste of time since your essays will be based on its CONTEXT! I am WARNING YOU!!!!!

AT MOST, absolutely most, read this: http://www.gradesaver.com/frankenstein/study-guide/short-summary/ and watch this movie: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, starring Kenneth Branagh. There are some differences between the summary and movie, so watch the movie first, then read the summary.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The movie is very different from the actual book, so make sure if you plan to use this method, you know all the inaccuracies.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
The movie is very different from the actual book, so make sure if you plan to use this method, you know all the inaccuracies.
Thats why I said watch the movie first (since it has its innacuracies) so you get a visual representation, then read the actual summary which is completely accurate, you'll notice the differences.

Thats all.

Essays are about context, not story, and the knowledge you'll gain from what is written above will suffice.

brendroid

HSC
Essays are about context, not story, and the knowledge you'll gain from what is written above will suffice.
There's no denying that, but you'll have to be sure to refer to literary techniques etc. They'll be asking you about the context, definitely, but in relation to it's effects on the text.

NewiJapper

HSC
I didn't even rabble on about context that much in my essay. At most it was a sentence or two with my point or intergrated into my arguement. :p

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i only read the first half of the book, up to the point where the monster, or was it victor, goes to chamounix and experiences the sublime

such a boring boring book lol

sparknotes helps a lot though

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Also, might I point out, try and use quotes from the book. Sometimes these things change in the translation from book to film.
Welll.... yes... I hope he realises that you dont quote the movie, but the book

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
lol i read it because its actually a good book.. i didnt really look critically but for enjoyment.. maybe my downfall?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I didn't read it. But I think that's what stuffed me up. I'd read it, or at least skim through it (if you skim, defs use sparknotes). It'll help you when you're writing notes (that's if you write notes). Just makes sure you have some nice juicy techniques ready.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
don't listen to this shit of not reading it. Read the book. Yes its boring and dull but in all honesty its not the longest book you'll read. Its english, don't expect it to be fun. But grow a pair and just read the book because it'll give you the best idea of what you're studying. You're gonna learn better if you look for quotes and techniques yourself than just getting it off other people.

shimmer205

HSC
I didn't read it and I got 94 in advanced english. It is all about context, and cramming some good quotes into your head. I would recommend reading a bunch of essays on the topic instead, and make up your own interpretation in reaction to/ agreeing with the other opinions you looked at. And steal their quotes. Haha.

jayy100

HSC
N/A
LOL, im not into reading but i found the book pretty good :] . Its very interesting and explores alot of philosophical idealogies. However, the beginning of the book is really bland and boring, so i too was put off by it at first. Actually attempt to make a personal connection with your texts, to really get those HIGH marks in English :]

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I didn't read it and I got 94 in advanced english. It is all about context, and cramming some good quotes into your head. I would recommend reading a bunch of essays on the topic instead, and make up your own interpretation in reaction to/ agreeing with the other opinions you looked at. And steal their quotes. Haha.
Well said, these other people telling the OP to grow a pair and read the book are idiots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)