Is it necessary to actually read Frankenstein? (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'd strongly recommend actually reading your prescribed text.
Whereas I strongly recommend you spend all those hours researching and organising your context - what your essays will actually be about

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
adding too much context will take away from your essay. context is not the be-all and end-all of this module, you have to relate the message of the text to the changes in context. and in order to have a good understanding of what the author is trying to say, i strongly recommend that you read the book. The only reason i did well in this module is because i read the entire book, certain chapters of it several times, and formed my own ideas about it. sure, use sparknotes if you want to get an average mark, but if you want to do well, just read it. it really isn't that boring and it's quite moving at times.

WEMG

HSC
I don't see harm in reading it though, its a fairly short book you might as well read it to get a better understanding it.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I don't see harm in reading it though, its a fairly short book you might as well read it to get a better understanding it.
Its not short though thats the problem. It's long and boring. I had all the motivation in the world this time last year but I couldn't force myself to read this stupid book!

brendroid

HSC
Its not short though thats the problem. It's long and boring. I had all the motivation in the world this time last year but I couldn't force myself to read this stupid book!
It's only just longer than Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Really, that's not all that long when you think about it. Especially since HP5 is about three times as long as HP3.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
It's only just longer than Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Really, that's not all that long when you think about it. Especially since HP5 is about three times as long as HP3.
Yes but Harry potter isn't as boring lol

brendroid

HSC
You cant tell me that reading Fuckstein is more enjoyable than watching hp, even though hp is super gay
I'm not saying it is, but some people might prefer trudging through a boring novel rather than read a 'super gay' novel almost three times the first novels length and infinitely more popular as well.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm not saying it is, but some people might prefer trudging through a boring novel rather than read a 'super gay' novel almost three times the first novels length and infinitely more popular as well.
My bad I thought you were referring to the movies. In your case I agree, but once again, not all people read Or would even consider reading hp

wrecking

derp.
HSC
it doesn't hurt to read it :p. i read it during the summer holidays and forgot about it by the time we had to study the module lol so i used sparknotes afterwards. anyway, frankenstein was wayyyy more interesting than my other prescribed texts.

brendroid

HSC
it doesn't hurt to read it :p. i read it during the summer holidays and forgot about it by the time we had to study the module lol so i used sparknotes afterwards. anyway, frankenstein was wayyyy more interesting than my other prescribed texts.
What were your other prescribed texts? Frankenstien was way better than Immigrant Chronicle and Fiftieth Gate here (I actually thought Hamlet was quite good, and Blade Runner was the same module so not counting it).

wrecking

derp.
HSC
What were your other prescribed texts? Frankenstien was way better than Immigrant Chronicle and Fiftieth Gate here (I actually thought Hamlet was quite good, and Blade Runner was the same module so not counting it).
DUDE we had EXACTLY the same prescribed texts lol. i totally forgot about hamlet! i think i quite liked hamlet more than frankenstein though. fiftieth gate was a total pain to get through and immigrant chronicles was the worst. fuck. i don't ever want to read anything by skrzynecki ever again.

brendroid

HSC
DUDE we had EXACTLY the same prescribed texts lol. i totally forgot about hamlet! i think i quite liked hamlet more than frankenstein though. fiftieth gate was a total pain to get through and immigrant chronicles was the worst. fuck. i don't ever want to read anything by skrzynecki ever again.
lol, awesome ^_^ yep, Skrzynecki was terrible. At least it was belonging though. You could use an epic awesome presribed text to compensate.
But yes, under those circumstances I can see why you'd have read Frankenstein in the summer holidays lol. Me, I just like reading.

cazbahkid

HSC
No, dont be silly, reading the prescribed texts are a waste of time. Dont even read summaries just wing it. Basically the generalisations about frankenstein having screws in his head are correct. just google image "frankenstein" and you will do fine.

PilotMerp

HSC
No, dont be silly, reading the prescribed texts are a waste of time. Dont even read summaries just wing it. Basically the generalisations about frankenstein having screws in his head are correct. just google image "frankenstein" and you will do fine.
lol

jamesfirst

HSC
I read Frankenstein on the Summer holiday thinking that it was our next task, turns out it's not, we're doing Gwen Harwoods Poetry on Module B :(

Anyway I'll probably read Frankenstein 2-3 more times just so I have clear idea of the story :)

So the point is: Yes read it.

rawrence

HSC
Definitely, you have to read it to be able to formulate your thesis. In fact it isn't that bad of a prescribed text, I liked the book very much.

Chambalam

HSC
Quick query. We seem to be getting the black and whites of those reading and those not.

What about if you've read it through once, say, 6 months ago. At this point in the HSC is it really worth reading again? (assuming you might be pushed for time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)