Is it possible for me to get... (1 Viewer)

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone,

I got worried as my school's ranking leaped from the 70's to low 90's. Does this mean, with scaling in consideration, it will be harder for me to achieve an ATAR of 95+?

Thank you.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
NOPE.

School ranking is only correct for that year. So for your year, your school could have a much better rank. Also, a rank of 90 is really good away :)

Petey9

HSC
N/A
NOPE.

School ranking is only correct for that year. So for your year, your school could have a much better rank. Also, a rank of 90 is really good away :)
Low 90's is a good rank ? cool.

P.S. congratulations on your 99 ATAR. Best of luck in uni!

+ rep btw

Last edited:

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Pfft, no way!

95+ isn't hard if your rankings are good. If you do poorly on your school assessments and are ranked lower than others, then they can potentially drag you down when it comes to HSC exam time - provided they don't do equally as good or better than you.

Seriously though, if you're gunning for a 95+, just keep it competitive and focus strongly on maintaining your ranks.

My school is nowhere near the top 100, but coming first in all but one of my subjects meant that my ATAR was purely based on my HSC performance - or anyone who did better than me. You can't be dragged down by people ranked lower than you, only higher than you =) 97.65... yeah boii!

Kaatie

HSC
also got above 95 and my school is around the 350 mark

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
No that much harder. My school ranked 169th in 2009, yet many people were still able to achieve over 95.

kcrocks

HSC
You can get any mark in almost any school with a good attitude and consistent effort. Mine would've been ranked 180-190 this year.

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your input, Whats worrying me is, most of the top achievers in year 12 do IB over HSC. I do HSC :S

jet

Banned
HSC
School rank has absolutely NO influence on your ATAR.

Internal ranks in each subject do, but the school ranks published on BOS and in the newspapers are not relevant to ATARs.

Whilst they may indicate the quality of the cohort, there are large differences between cohorts.

If you have an aim, the only person truly stopping you from reaching it is yourself. Just try your best and it will pay off :)

Schoey93

HSC
NOPE.

Not to mention a school's ranking has no bearing on what rank an individual can achieve who is attending that school. You hear about kids who went to TAFE for their HSC achieving ranks of >99.00.

A poor ranking of a school simply means that perhaps the assessments the school administered to students were too easy and inadequate preparation for the Higher School Certificate external assessment (major works and examinations). The HSC external assessment is worth 50% of your final HSC mark and is what is used to moderate (change for no good reason) your marks. A poor examination mark in most cases means a poor HSC mark and hence, students of schools with easy assessments (poorly ranked schools) sometimes bomb out and keep the school's ranking low.

Neg rep me if this is bad advice, but I am just paraphrasing a post you made several months ago, Anna. I do listen to you after all. :tongue:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Not to mention a school's ranking has no bearing on what rank an individual can achieve who is attending that school. You hear about kids who went to TAFE for their HSC achieving ranks of >99.00.

A poor ranking of a school simply means that perhaps the assessments the school administered to students were too easy and inadequate preparation for the Higher School Certificate external assessment (major works and examinations). The HSC external assessment is worth 50% of your final HSC mark and is what is used to moderate (change for no good reason) your marks. A poor examination mark in most cases means a poor HSC mark and hence, students of schools with easy assessments (poorly ranked schools) sometimes bomb out and keep the school's ranking low.

Neg rep me if this is bad advice, but I am just paraphrasing a post you made several months ago, Anna. I do listen to you after all. :tongue:
Not necessarily, I went to a poorly ranked school and I found that a lot of assessments particularly for Maths were more difficult than the trials I did for the elite schools.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You have every chance to achieve a great ATAR with a school ranked that well in the 90s. My school has only ever been in the top 200 once, and yet some of the best kids at my school perform great! :D

You school rank is only a measure of how many band 6s that cohort can achieve. It does give an indication, but you can do fine.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
My school was ranked 280th this year.
No need for more words lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)