Is it possible to achieve 99+ ATAR from taking both histories? (1 Viewer)

CecilyMare

HSC
I'm having second thoughts about being cool and taking both Ancient and Modern and maybe it would be a better idea to be a shitkicking sheep and take Physics or Chemistry in place of one of the histories so that I'll have a better chance of reaching my aim, even though I despise both of these sciences (and I'm already taking Biology).

So what are your opinions/thoughts?

bubbrubb

HSC
the person in my modern class got 99.95 this year with both ancient and history... tho he got state rankings in 4 subjects... he did humanities and ext 1 maths.

so its very possible ;) but you have to be the top of your game in histories.

Cee.

HSC
It's definitely possible, Daniel Swain got 100 UAI without maths or science.

SImon05089

HSC
Yes if i were you, I would take either Chemistry and Physics, as I heard these 2 subjects scale very well, and you can reach your aim easier!! Choose one of them, Cecily!

Well that is my opinion, I think i might as well choose both subjects Chemistry and Physics next year, I have to get it changed! I hope my principal doesn't get angry!

But anyways Cecily, if you have a passion for history, you will do well! No worries!

Good Luck! :D

Tofuu

HSC
you can still get 99+ ATAR without sciences, but then you'll have to study hard
and what would be the point of doing something you hate, you might do bad at it

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're looking for something closer to ruse, a guy in my grade is doing both histories and extension, with 4u english, no maths and no science and his estimate is somewhere over 99.35. Then again, he has to get awesome rankings in everything to keep that. But yes, it can be done.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I'm having second thoughts about being cool and taking both Ancient and Modern and maybe it would be a better idea to be a shitkicking sheep and take Physics or Chemistry in place of one of the histories so that I'll have a better chance of reaching my aim, even though I despise both of these sciences (and I'm already taking Biology).

So what are your opinions/thoughts?
Do it. If Histories come naturally do both. Some guy in my grade is on 99.45 (the guy mentioned by Jim). He does however come 1st in both, so that kind of explains how he does it. No science is no biggie, you should easily be able to get 99+, and considering you have Bio, that will make it easier. A word of warning though, do not believe what the school tells you is the top mark for the histories. They have a disgusting habit of capping them low (95ish) because they think that the top mark from our school will be that low. This is not necessarily the case, just our school has been worse at them as compared to the 99s in Phys/Chem. Eventually your 95 in Modern may be a 99, just that wont show up till the HSC.

Klutsov

HSC
It is possible, but it is more difficult. If you dont like a subject, then generally you wont go so well in them.

speedofsound

HSC
you can get 99+ with ANY range of subjects. there isn't like a little annotated note against subjects that entirely prevents you from getting a great atar when you take them.

CecilyMare

HSC
Lol yeah that's quite obvious, I was planning to write 'possible' as 'likely', or even 'How likely is it', but forgot.

speedofsound

HSC
how likely it is depends purely upon how good you are on the subject, not the scaling.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't like it when people praise the one person in a very long list of people who got the highest ATAR's or UAI's to prove a point. Yes, Daniel Swain whoever he is got 100 UAI, but each year 80 or so people get the top stuff - and he's one in around many thousands of people who also had that distinction.

So yes, you can get 99+ - but you have to be at the top of your game, and get near 100 for them. Do what you like - but if you just want the ATAR, do a science, and more importantly the higher maths. Maths Extension 1, Chemistry and Physics is a very common combination at the upper ATAR's, two of the forty eight 99.95's this year did that combination - along with other subjects.

alex09hsc

HSC
just dont fucking care about scaling or any of that shit! Do what you want

adriano_negr0

HSC
yer do histories imo
smarter kids generally do sciences thats why they scale wel i think
ans plus there probs hard and u would hate it

wendybird

HSC
A classmate of mine got 99.95 with both histories and no science. She didn't do 4U maths either.

Of course its possible. More than posible in fact.

I got 99.95 with no science, and no maths counted for my ATAR. I also did Modern Hist and History extension.

I wholeheartedly disagree with anyone who says that you should do a science or 3/4U maths as if its some kind of prerequisite. It may advantage you if you are good at science or maths, but if not, it could even harm you.

Last edited:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
My teachers said, Ignore scaling. Sure you can pick all the high scaling subjects but you prob. won't do as well.

Pick the subjects your good at and enjoy, you will be movitaved more, do better at them and at the end of the day get a higher mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)