Is it possible to "catch up". (1 Viewer)

asdfqwerty

HSC
Is it possible to "catch up" after your first HSC assessment and then overall get a good rank? I know it sounds stupid but I'm about to finish my first assessments but for all the assessments I've done so far I feel like I did not do as well as I thought I could (mostly due to silly mistakes). I'm feeling really down at the thought of not achieving a good rank in my first HSC assessment tasks because I have a good gut feeling that I will do badly compared to everyone else and I'm starting to lose hope.

Is it possible to catch up and come from average-slightly high ranking to having a good rank (e.g. Top 5-10) at the end of all your school assessments? Or is it that your rank has already been ""decided"" by how well you did in the first assessment and that no matter how hard you try your ranking will always be close around to what your original ranking was after your first exam?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I had a student a couple of years ago who after the first task was 18/18 but ended up 1st - so simple answer is - yes you still have a lot of time to 'catch up'.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Depends whether the students who beat you constantly and consistently peform well. Some people when they're on the top just don't go down.

But dw, try not to dwell on these marks. Keep your eyes focused on doing better in the next task (and you've got 6 weeks of holidays to do so :)).
Try and stay consistent during these holidays. Trust me, most others won't.

D94

HSC
N/A
Your first assessment hardly decides your ranks, even taking into account future assessments. Any assessment can be a rank-breaker and a rank-booster; it just depends on how well your cohort goes. You just need to do extremely well in your future assessments and see how you can improve. You could have a good cohort and so coming outside of the top 10 isn't as bad as you think; at least when it comes to HSC, you know that you will have a strong cohort which will do well in the HSC.

K

khorne

Is it possible to "catch up" after your first HSC assessment and then overall get a good rank? I know it sounds stupid but I'm about to finish my first assessments but for all the assessments I've done so far I feel like I did not do as well as I thought I could (mostly due to silly mistakes). I'm feeling really down at the thought of not achieving a good rank in my first HSC assessment tasks because I have a good gut feeling that I will do badly compared to everyone else and I'm starting to lose hope.

Is it possible to catch up and come from average-slightly high ranking to having a good rank (e.g. Top 5-10) at the end of all your school assessments? Or is it that your rank has already been ""decided"" by how well you did in the first assessment and that no matter how hard you try your ranking will always be close around to what your original ranking was after your first exam?
Obviously it will depend. If the people above you constantly do better than you, then yes, it's over. However, chances are they won't if you put in some extra effort. In that case, yes, it is easy to fix ranks. I went from a high 20s rank to a 2nd in chem in a top 30s school just by taking it a little more seriously. It's always possible to catch up.

Also there is no such thing as silly mistakes. You either did not practice enough, or did not think it through properly. Silly mistakes do not exist. Go over all your errors and see where you went wrong and what you can fix.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah you have all summer holidays to work and gain ranks in the end!

I know someone that went up 20 ranks from their first assessment task in English to their final rank!

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
There should honestly be a sticky telling people to stop making these threads so they realise that the HSC is not decided by a single assessment which makes up a miniscule amount of the total marks.

asdfqwerty

HSC
Obviously it will depend. If the people above you constantly do better than you, then yes, it's over. However, chances are they won't if you put in some extra effort. In that case, yes, it is easy to fix ranks. I went from a high 20s rank to a 2nd in chem in a top 30s school just by taking it a little more seriously. It's always possible to catch up.

Also there is no such thing as silly mistakes. You either did not practice enough, or did not think it through properly. Silly mistakes do not exist. Go over all your errors and see where you went wrong and what you can fix.
That sentence really motivated me, because yes, like you've said, there is no such things as silly mistakes. I realised that the reasons why I know I didn't do well was because I didn't think my questions through properly.

And thank you everyone for your insightful comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)