Is it safe to do ten units for the HSC (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
its not risky if you work hard
but if you get sick often, then dont do 10

kjerste

HSC
I would not recommend doing 10 units. I had 12 units and come results time, I did not do as well in a subject as I would have liked and that extra 2 units was the thing that boosted my atar. My friend did 10 units, and she said that the workload was not sufficiently light enough to make it worth the risk that she took. So I'd be careful, especially if you're doing the harder extensions that you are not confident with. You need to have back ups because high scaling subjects will still drag your ATAR down if badly done.

Schoey93

HSC
Back ups are a joke. They're for people who are lazy.

Again. I'll say it again. Only do ten units, do six subjects/12 units or more if you actually enjoy the extra units and would like extra extension work
\
Doing 12 units is like doing an extension subject, even when u aren't taking extensions for your ATAR and HSC. However, that said, if you're a lazy arsehole who wants to do 12 or 15 for the "back UP" you probably won't go well anyway cuz you'll be lazy in the extra units too

kjerste

HSC
No, 10 units are for lazy people who want the free periods. That's why 10 units have the worst reputation for HSC because it's a popular choice for slackers. And I don't think there is anything wrong with having a back up subject. It is extra confidence, provided you can take the extra pressure (which should not be a problem after 6 subjects in year 10 and 11)...

Schoey - you might enjoy the subjects you have but it is naive to assume that it will translate into good results. So many things can go wrong during HSC year. You can still get your arse kicked in a subject you love.

kjerste

HSC
Shut the fuck up you pretentious idiots. People choose to do ten units for a myriad of reasons, not just out of laziness. Personally I don't think it's risky at all, I think your stupid if you do more than ten simply because you want a safety net. Do however many units you feel comfortable with.
Facks sake, I never said everyone who did 10 units were lazy or inferior.
But the fact remains that the HSC statistics for 10 uniters were considerably worser than people who did a higher number of units.
Which indicate that it is, a) risky and b) seen as the 'easy' option by many lazy people.

And yes, I acknowledge the 10 uniters at the opposite end of the spectrum. Dux of my school was one... but they're relatively uncommon.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Exactly. And what can be inferred from this is that schoey93 is the cause of this undesirable waffling and thread diversion.

So, let's make a move towards getting this thread back on track!

IS IT SAFE TO DO 10 UNITS? Please offer your opinions on this. :) Thanks BOSers. :)
Aha yes.

Yes it's safe to do 10 units. So long as you're good + enjoy the 10 units and are willing to use the extra time you have into those 10 units. This includes doing lots of past papers under pressure as doing so will decrease the chance of you freezing up in the exam :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Back ups are a joke. They're for people who are lazy.

Again. I'll say it again. Only do ten units, do six subjects/12 units or more if you actually enjoy the extra units and would like extra extension work
\
Doing 12 units is like doing an extension subject, even when u aren't taking extensions for your ATAR and HSC. However, that said, if you're a lazy arsehole who wants to do 12 or 15 for the "back UP" you probably won't go well anyway cuz you'll be lazy in the extra units too
Backups IMO are for people who actually care about their ATAR and are willing to do the extra work for "insurance". Lazy people usually just do 10 units for the extra frees and minimal work. Why in the world would LAZY people want to do MORE work?

HSC
Uni Grad
Backups IMO are for people who actually care about their ATAR and are willing to do the extra work for "insurance". Lazy people usually just do 10 units for the extra frees and minimal work. Why in the world would LAZY people want to do MORE work?
This is me lol.

But I think I would have gone way worse if i had another 2 units to have to study for, commit to and do assessments for. If you are dedicated enough though, by all means go for the extra.

bineal

HSC
once a cop pulled me over and i told him i did ten units so i got locked up for the night

stay safe with 11

bineal

HSC
hey butchbitch stfu

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
LMAO. I do realise my statement was a massive generalisation but it's just like my school, (which isn't that great).
Lots of people purposely choose only 10 units so they can put more effort into those 10 units, rather than spreading themselves thin to maximise marks. So for some people, it's not to have a minimum amount of work at all :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Lots of people purposely choose only 10 units so they can put more effort into those 10 units, rather than spreading themselves thin to maximise marks. So for some people, it's not to have a minimum amount of work at all :)
I'd like to do that in the future but I'd be so stressed about screwing up.

Jacob1991

HSC
Also, if you're lazy do 10.
Great advice there tim :D
But what this guy says is true. It all comes down to ur confidence in ur subjects. i know guys from SBHS who did 10 units and got 99.65 and i also know a guy from Ruse who did 18 units and got 99.65...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)