Is it safe to do ten units for the HSC (1 Viewer)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I'm in year 11, and thinking of only keeping ten units for year 12.
Your views pls? Experiences, a friend of a friend, etc?

Top Secret

HSC
This decision will solely depend on you, not other's experiences. Only you can determine your confidence/effort/performance levels and decide whether dropping down to 10u will be beneficial, or may be counterproductive.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
depends if you're fairly confident on your 8 units (english not included).
Also, if you're lazy do 10.

astroe

HSC
I'm pretty lazy and I had 15 units, it did not go well.
I went down to 13 then still stuff up and dropped down to 10. :haha:

Do not juggle so many subjects unless you're leet.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I know, but I wanted to know the general pros and cons. I was wondering if would be worth the 'risk.' Does it lessen the burden of additional work, or does it still feel the same?
Sigh.

astroe

HSC
Actually, it all depends on your school's timetable.
Mine has lots of frees, even when I had 13 units, so I guess I only picked up/kept subjects to pass the time. During frees all we did was go downstairs and eat and go the park and play = not good.

There's a hell of a lot of work for what is only going to partly count (top 10).
I say don't go past 13, you can leave two as a back up and maybe a 1u course that you really like to do or something.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Chem is gone for sure.
I love English, and have always wanted to do Ext 1 and 2 Eng, but my teacher is (insert any profanity)...so IDK!!! Does Ext Eng rank you well?

I'm def. keeping it between 10-12 units.

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
personally i find it better to do ten units, because ur 100% focused on what u have to do good in ( all ur subs ! ) and u have less preparation to do before exams, less assessments and less stress ! However, only do this if ur confident in ur 10 units. Otherwise perhaps take 12 units till half yearlies, see how you go, and drop your worst. Or see it through, upto you. Most people who i know did 12 units did the other 2 on the side, never really paid any attention to it an it was just a hassle for them before exams.

However, others will tell you it gives security. Basically, if you dont think youre going to perform good in a subject and its just ' there ' just drop it :)
I dropped maths and that is probably the best decision iv made these last 2 years. less stress and more time to focus on other subjects, not to mention less hw ! Its only becoming a problem now that im applying for med and i think they check to see if ive done maths :S but thats another story :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I love English, and have always wanted to do Ext 1 and 2 Eng, but my teacher is (insert any profanity)...so IDK!!! Does Ext Eng rank you well?
Aren't you the girl who said she couldn't write an essay? =\

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i would advise ten units, and do ext 2 if your interested in it. the one fantastic thing about ext 2 is that you dont have to sit an exam for it, so then you only have 6 exams.
A friend of mine does the same subjects but she does an extra 2 units... and it is really killing her. even though she is brilliant.
it also depends on the subjects you want to do, for example ext 1 takes up alot of time, even though it is only worth one unit.
also, the less units you do the more free periods you have to study for them (or in my case sleep in them)
out of my friends,we are either started with ten units or dropped down to them. if you are passionalte with all your subjects and have the four subject areas i'd suggest just to do the ten units.

daryl-d

HSC
i wouldn't advise it, unless u hate/ suck at the subject u want to drop

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm so tempted to drop a subject right now just so i can relax a bit but i'm going well in all of them... and i don't particulary hate a subject.

If you're happy with your subjects and your marks are well i'd drop a subject. So long as you spend your extra time wisely, you shouldn't screw up your HSC exam :)

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
in my honest opinion, i wish i'd have kept d&t. the stress of y12 has gotten to me and i've stuffed up knowing that every subject is the be all and the end all. i'd go at least another unit above ten, but it's all up to the individual.

lychnobity

HSC
I'm on 10 units atm.

Used to think it was risky as well - like most people wanting to do only 10, I had the thoughts that physics was my worst, easily wasn't going to be counted. So I dropped it - never have regretted it.

That's because I absolutely hated it - not because I was doing badly in it, but because I genuinely had no interest and I was exponentially better in my other subjects (by at least 40%).

Before you consider dropping, think it over seriously for at least 2 weeks. I stuck with physics from the end of prelim year til the middle of this year. I was 100% sure.

Otherwise, I don't see why not - I was excellent at my other subjects, and if physics for me was such a huge outlier, it was the most strategically advantageous thing to do.

EDIT: reading the posts above mine, my experience with the stress is different, it actually takes it off for me, because physics is 1 less subject I'd have to be cramming for. I was absolutely hopeless at it anyway.

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I dropped down to 10uints from 13uints in the 1st term of yr 12.

I think it would have been more risky to keep them than drop them.
In my dropped subjects, my rank was like 4/12(jap cont), 8/60~70 (can't remember the number of ppl-eco).

But dropping those subjects allowed me to spend so much more time on the 10 units I kept and so I could do much better in them.

But this only works when you do enjoy the 10 units that you are going to keep.

pman

Banned
HSC
do as few units as u can, more time to study each unit so u get bettermarks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)