Is it still possible to get 99 atar if failed half yearlies? (1 Viewer)

jack487

HSC
How hard must i work? If i came like mid ranks in a rank ~150 school after half yearlies? I just realised my future might be fcked...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
So not fail fail, but Asian fail?

Yeah, it'd be difficult to bounce back from that to be honest......If you went to a rank 150 school, you'd need to be in the Top 5-10 to have ANY hope of getting 99.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course you can, as long as you can catch up with your ranks and be motivated 'to do well' throughout the year, achieving 99 is still a huge possibility. But, obviously Aerath said you would need to work hard to bounce back up. It's all about rankings.

Also, EVEN though you get the desired ATAR, it does not mean your life is screwed. There is a lot of positive alternatives, and also a lot of people are successful without it.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, I failed my half yearlies getting 40's and 60's for my subjects. This ranked me in the low-medium end of the cohort. Lucky my half yearly exams only constituted maybe 15-20%. So I had huge potential left. Although, after that I just worked harder and harder and caught up eventually to the top kids who got burnt out by the end of the year. By the end of the hsc exams, I was ranked 1st in three subjects and also topped in rest. I still got in 90's for my ATAR so of course you get still get high.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
How hard must i work? If i came like mid ranks in a rank ~150 school after half yearlies? I just realised my future might be fcked...
Please don't think of an ATAR as a thing like...

99+ = 6 figure pay for the rest of my life

80-99 = 5 (maybe 6) figure pay for the rest of my life

etc etc

Just because you mess up your HSC, does NOT mean your future is screwed. I know of many many people who have had... less than impressive ATAR equivalents (for their time), but very impressive careers now.

The ATAR does not determine your future career definitely.

And yes, it is possible to catch up, but significantly more difficult.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
The ATAR is one indicator though of how much you opportunities you have available (e.g professions and courses you can do). Of course if it is lower than you will be less limited. But never use it as an indicator of success (Alot of people drop out and etc and still are heaps sucessful). I know my friend's father who didn't even go high school, although, he had lots of passion in what he did and now earns a fair bit.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also keep in mind that a course with a higher ATAR cut-off is not a reflection of projected salaries.

They are not positively correlated.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
yea just do mining engineering if you want a shitload of money, you dont even need a high ATAR for that

jack487

HSC
I just want the quickest route to my desired course...

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Probably not 99. You can still do well though.

ATAR means nothing really. As soon as you finish high school and move on to something else you won't care whether you got 99 ATAR or 88 ATAR or 50 ATAR. Even if you screw up and got 70 say you can still get into uni, do a year of a degree and then transfer into what you actually wanted to do but didn't have the ATAR marks for.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
i laughed so hard when you said your future might be fucked without getting 99... just try your best, you probably wont get a 99 atar but that doesnt mean you cant get an impressive one

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Please don't think of an ATAR as a thing like...

99+ = 6 figure pay for the rest of my life

80-99 = 5 (maybe 6) figure pay for the rest of my life

etc etc

Just because you mess up your HSC, does NOT mean your future is screwed. I know of many many people who have had... less than impressive ATAR equivalents (for their time), but very impressive careers now.

The ATAR does not determine your future career definitely.

And yes, it is possible to catch up, but significantly more difficult.
Oh, yeah, in my rush to get ready this morning, I totally forgot to mention this. ATAR is no determination of how you will do in Uni, or how successful you will be in life. I did well in HSC, but my Uni marks are kinda shocking. :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can definitely bounce back, and get a great ATAR but it might be hard to claw your ranks up for what's needed for a 99+, you could probs do 95+ though. But there may be still hope in a rank 150 school, ranks are a lil more volatile than high school, people more likely to drop marks etc.

theycallmebob

HSC
So not fail fail, but Asian fail?

Yeah, it'd be difficult to bounce back from that to be honest......If you went to a rank 150 school, you'd need to be in the Top 5-10 to have ANY hope of getting 99.
do you mean 5-10 in each subject or overall?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
technically you can

but if you're failing your half yearlies, it usually means you lack the ability to get that 99+ ATAR (harsh but true)

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
That depends, how close are the ranks. If only a few marks seperate everyone you might be able to catch up if you ace everything else for the rest of the year. Trials are the most important exams in terms of ranks and they make a BIG difference. They come up a lot quicker than everyone expects so if you're prepared for them you can make a huge difference. Also remember your HSC exam is really 50% of your final mark, so how you do there is really up to you. Chin up, even if you don't get 99+ there is always back doors into your desired career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)