is it that hard? (1 Viewer)

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
hi everyone im going to be starting yr 11 in 2004 and i was just wondering, is mathematics REALLY REALLY HARD? cos ive been in adv. maths since yr 8 but ive never really been at the top of the class.. and im just wondering, if i start to work hard, will i be okay? im a bit scared.. general seems so simple and 2u seems so difficult.....................
plz help me!!

meisme

it depends on your work ethic, me i have none, and ive been in adv maths since starting high school! ive had some creative marks! but seriously, i did ext1 maths in year 11 which wasn't too nasty but then didn't wanna go on with it in yr 12.
My advice would be to stick with the 2u, firstly because most uni courses want you to have it and secondly getting only an average mark in 2u is scaled much higher than a good mark in general.

if you do really find it that difficult you can always drop down, no matter what time of year it is...so keep pluggin @ the 2u!

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Yeah i agree with meisme, work ethic is very important if u want to do well. At the beginning of year 11 I was scared of trying maths Ext 1, but then my teacher was like theres nothing wrong in giving it a go, i survived it! However other people who were coming 1st, 2nd and 3rd, in yr 10 advanced maths, either ended up dropping it or just failing it, b'cos they didnt want to struggle with it, they just gave up, n I ended up doing better than them. So I would say, Give it a go, who knows with a bit of hardwork u are ahead of your class mates...u never know!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i will say yes it is hard. don't expect it to be easy. if you go expecting it to be hard you will be fine. after you do lots of questions it gets easy though, it's just getting your head around the concepts. remember how hard you may have found x+x=2x. it's like that, it gets easier. try it!!

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
thanks guys
my brother did his hsc last yr and did very well so i'll probably use him as my tutor for the next two years lol
but yeh ill start working hard next year i think (hope)
thanks again

Winston

HSC
well have it this way i was in intermediate and i failed every exam :p... then i hopped into yr 11 didnt wat the teacher said then snap bang yr 12 started they taught calculus then i started going really good i guess everything was actually making sense lol :p... then maths got easy becoz it was logical and fun.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
It's not that hard at all if you do your homework and study. I didnt really work much in year 11 and my results showed that, but i put the effort in for year 12 and my results were a LOT better.

TheKey

HSC
2 unit maths is definatly not hard, all the topics that you do will contain questions on the easy side of things when u compare it to ext maths.

However to have any chance in 2 unit maths, you will actually have to keep up with the class and continue to work through it all year. its not like IPT where you always have a backup plan of reading over a summary. For maths its not enough to know the concepts and formulas, you have to practise heaps so you can gain speed, my biggest problem in this years HSC exam was the time.

Rahul

Dead Member
virgin, one guy from my school did intermediate in yr 10. 3u in yr 11 and 4u in yr 12. :)
and he did pretty well aswell. so there isnt anything holding you back from doing well either. :)

Winston

HSC
@virgin^sexy if i was you, since you have a break until you start, get a little head start it's not a sin to work ahead and try to get the concepts earlier and then once ur teacher teaches it again it will just refresh your mind and expand your knowledge on tha topic even more.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
what books should i use?? cos i dont have my yr 11 texts yet ive ordered them but they havent come through...

are the excell books helpful?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
excel 2u prelim is pretty good :)

i consistantly got under 30% for my assessments in year 10... couldn't understand what all the symbols meant... and im still doing math now :eek:

don't be scared its not that hard if you just try

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by virgin^sexy
what books should i use?? cos i dont have my yr 11 texts yet ive ordered them but they havent come through...

are the excell books helpful?
no excels are garbage!~@

if u dont mind i can get u started on a bit and help u on MSN alot im happy to do so

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
why? excel pretty much covers everything... and is reader friendly :)
nope excels if u havent noticed is a load of crap its good for cramming but it definately wont get u far

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
really? :(

i never used any other books but i found excel to be quite good for understanding and doing some practice out of.

it was about the poorest text book in explaining time payments and locus

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
it was about the poorest text book in explaining time payments and locus
excel sux0rs for everything else anyway

for 2 unit?
i think you should get your hand on fitzpatricks chunky yellow one :) if you can find the time to do every single question and get it right , then, you're bound to get good marks ;) thats how i learnt :) looking ahead and doing all questions :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)