is it that hard? (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Originally posted by virgin^sexy
hi everyone im going to be starting yr 11 in 2004 and i was just wondering, is mathematics REALLY REALLY HARD? cos ive been in adv. maths since yr 8 but ive never really been at the top of the class.. and im just wondering, if i start to work hard, will i be okay? im a bit scared.. general seems so simple and 2u seems so difficult.....................
plz help me!!
It does not matter if you haven't ever been at the top of the class in mathematics. Neither had I but I still did 3unit maths and it certainly paid off. Just ensure you work hard. And please do not do general maths if you are capable of doing adv maths... General maths scales terribly.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I was lousy at Math till I got myself a tutor. Didn't pass 1 Math test until Semester 2/yr 9 - 4yrs later - completed & passed (although not w/flying colours) yr12 math (further math ---> Gen math NSW).

My conclusion: If I can do it - anyone can. ;)

HSC
For 2U maths I'm first using the excel textbook to get all the major ideas written up in note form, and then working my way through the cambridge textbook. It's a very good way of making sure you know everything in the topic, and the excel book _is_ good for cramming :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Cramming, however, is shitty for maths-esque subjects. You've got to get some past papers going and practice doing the problems. You've got to be able to apply the theory you already know.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
craming is always better than not studying at all... i wonder why so many people hate excel??? in my mind excel is a good read as it gives you the basics straight off without talking about a bunch weird irrelevant stuff like cambridge does, so you can start to do some practice exam questions as soon as possible.

HSC
go excel i only used it for formulas and revision
BUT past exams ALL DA WAY!!!!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
uh, excel is good for revision. But why not work through a proper TEXTBOOK and make your own summary, with examples of harder questions?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Grey Council
... make your own summary ...
Man, am I ever glad I didn't do that. So tedious and boring. Just do the questions.

(Note: My teacher provided us with a varitable forest of notes as reference.)

Numero Uno

HSC
Btw What Text Books Did You Use For 3 unit / 2 unit ?
Atm my schools using Maths In Focus this is preliminary edition

is it a good text book ? can u recommend me a better book ?

victorling

HSC
N/A
excel books are not very helpful
for maths, fitzpatrick is good enough..."past papers and questions"(which i am selling now^_^), "success one" are all of high quality too

choc-chip

HSC
virgin^sexy..
i wished i chose 3u last yr...
2u maths is basic maths...u said u did adv maths, so i think u should b ok wif 2u...i suggest u choose 3u and try...if u stuck,just drop it...try more never hurt.
cambridge is dull...loans of theories n confused me alot...so yeh ..fitzparick might ba best 1...

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
-update-
okay well i'm doing 2u and so far so good, but i think its only because over the xmas holidays i had a look through basic maths rules etc so i would know what i had missed (i did very little work in years 9 + 10). i was told at the end of last year that i wasnt recommended to do 2u but i told them i was doing anyway and im glad i did, i understand everything (so far!!) but yeh. and winston is helping cos he's a champ!!

so thanks everyone for your help/advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)