Is it true that UTS business school is absolutely crap? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Each uni receives different reception for different faculties

Praised:
UNSW LAW
USYD Med, dentistry all those science stuff
UTS LAW + ENGINEERING

(correct me if im wrong)

idk the others
Nope.
Arts/Law - USyd
Commerce/Engineering - UNSW

enoilgam

HSC
It has absolutely nothing to do with what uni you went to... at the end of the day, you graduate from university with a piece of paper, and this does not form part of the criteria for graduate employment selection. Instead, it is based on stuff that is less superficial than "what uni you went to", like your experiences, what you've done with yourself, how you've involved yourself in the local and wider community, how well you can communicate, what skills can you bring to the table. stuff like that. stuff that will BENEFIT the employer. what uni you went to will NOT in anyway give the employer any benefits. it is just a coincidence that more people were from UNSW etc, and obviously they were the better candidates for reasons MORE than just that they went to UNSW.
This.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont think it matters, my mates brother does accounting at UWS and landed a job with Ernst and Young earning $70,000 a year...he's only 20, u mad?
Even TS and actuarial doesn't pay that well for a first year grad at Big 4 as far as I know but I could be wrong.

... but I'm 99% sure it isn't audit since $70k is round about a first year fresh senior accountant.

Back on topic though, university doesn't matter that much especially in accounting since you'll be doing CA or CPA anyway. It'll help you get a foot in the door if the recruiters hold prejudice but realistically it'll be other factors which will sort the good from the bad.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Even TS and actuarial doesn't pay that well for a first year grad at Big 4 as far as I know but I could be wrong.

... but I'm 99% sure it isn't audit since $70k is round about a first year fresh senior accountant.

Back on topic though, university doesn't matter that much especially in accounting since you'll be doing CA or CPA anyway. It'll help you get a foot in the door if the recruiters hold prejudice but realistically it'll be other factors which will sort the good from the bad.
agreed!

So many people tend to inflate the salary figures by like 100%. Actuary in Big 4 starts high 50k to low 60K while Actuaries in traditional actuarial firms like Tower, Finity, Allianz might start mid 60K to low 70K. If you go banks and get risk management, that might be like 70K (max). I know 1 person in Allianz with 63K, Suncorp with 70K and other banks with mid 60K. But in Big 4 Acct, it is more like 60K if not high 50k. In terms of accounting, I didnt see anyone over 60K...unless you do tax. Then again, tax might just be reaching 60K figure right now.

If you want money, IB is the clear choice as well as MC (I have stressed that few times haha). IB gives like 80K-90K base with 30-40 bonus - now that's crazy for fresh graduate. Then again, get ready to pull multiple all nighters and practically have NO life for the next few years while you are analyst.

EDIT: Oh yeh.

In terms of UTS business. I actually think it's one of the top here in Sydney . I have been to few ACs at different place , I have seen quite a number of UTS, Macq. I dont know why I didnt see many Sydney people tho in comparison...

Last edited:

jaychouf4n

HSC
IB/MC prepares you best for a future career. MC, especially, McKinsey is known as CEO factory and IB gives you really good business experience, which lets you move into other career paths at a higher position as opposed to a grad grunt e.g. partner at a law firm.

HSC
Uni Grad
agreed!

So many people tend to inflate the salary figures by like 100%. Actuary in Big 4 starts high 50k to low 60K while Actuaries in traditional actuarial firms like Tower, Finity, Allianz might start mid 60K to low 70K. If you go banks and get risk management, that might be like 70K (max). I know 1 person in Allianz with 63K, Suncorp with 70K and other banks with mid 60K. But in Big 4 Acct, it is more like 60K if not high 50k. In terms of accounting, I didnt see anyone over 60K...unless you do tax. Then again, tax might just be reaching 60K figure right now.

If you want money, IB is the clear choice as well as MC (I have stressed that few times haha). IB gives like 80K-90K base with 30-40 bonus - now that's crazy for fresh graduate. Then again, get ready to pull multiple all nighters and practically have NO life for the next few years while you are analyst.

EDIT: Oh yeh.

In terms of UTS business. I actually think it's one of the top here in Sydney . I have been to few ACs at different place , I have seen quite a number of UTS, Macq. I dont know why I didnt see many Sydney people tho in comparison...
IB/MC prepares you best for a future career. MC, especially, McKinsey is known as CEO factory and IB gives you really good business experience, which lets you move into other career paths at a higher position as opposed to a grad grunt e.g. partner at a law firm.
So what is the best university for international business? (in terms of everything that the universities have got, not what you have to do yourself)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
what do u mean? international business?

business-wise, i would say unsw. but it depends on major too. Actuarial studies is arguably better in Macq. TBH I wouldnt disagree with that because it's kinda true. But everything else in Commerce, UNSW trumps Macq + prob other unis too. Biased much? Yeah but it's true. I have never been to AC (pwc, ey, zurich, some cf job etc. ) where more than half of the people weren't from UNSW.

EDIT: as far as i know, unsw is the only uni with international commerce. so i guess UNSW is the best bets?

HSC
Uni Grad
what do u mean? international business?

business-wise, i would say unsw. but it depends on major too. Actuarial studies is arguably better in Macq. TBH I wouldnt disagree with that because it's kinda true. But everything else in Commerce, UNSW trumps Macq + prob other unis too. Biased much? Yeah but it's true. I have never been to AC (pwc, ey, zurich, some cf job etc. ) where more than half of the people weren't from UNSW.

EDIT: as far as i know, unsw is the only uni with international commerce. so i guess UNSW is the best bets?
oh okay thanks. I was considering doing either a plain B Commerce with Actuarial and International Business or B Commerce/B Science, with an actuarial and maths major respectively.

Is actuarial and international business a good combination in terms of job prospects? Because I know that so many people at UNSW want to do actuarial and finance, but I don't want to do those two streams together because it seems too mainstream, might want to try something different :L

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Actuarial and international business?

Well, you are definitely right in that you will be like the only person with such combination. However, I do recommend finance. Why? It's because traditional actuarial jobs are very limited. As far as I know, actuarial firms like Finity + Alianz and others are very very competitive. I heard that they dont even offer positions to normal students as those positions are taken by Coop people (lucky people! xD)

The big chance is that you will be working in finance field with actuarial major. So I would recommend doing that.

However...if you are really set on doing actuarial and interested in working overseas, it may not hurt to do those two combinations. But you have to keep in mind that you can still work overseas with fins+acturial combinations with even better chance. I would personally suggest Comm+Eco so that you can do 3 majors in fins + actuarial + econ-related major. They complement each other very well.

HSC
Uni Grad
Actuarial and international business?

Well, you are definitely right in that you will be like the only person with such combination. However, I do recommend finance. Why? It's because traditional actuarial jobs are very limited. As far as I know, actuarial firms like Finity + Alianz and others are very very competitive. I heard that they dont even offer positions to normal students as those positions are taken by Coop people (lucky people! xD)

The big chance is that you will be working in finance field with actuarial major. So I would recommend doing that.

However...if you are really set on doing actuarial and interested in working overseas, it may not hurt to do those two combinations. But you have to keep in mind that you can still work overseas with fins+acturial combinations with even better chance. I would personally suggest Comm+Eco so that you can do 3 majors in fins + actuarial + econ-related major. They complement each other very well.
I was thinking of moving to the mainland to work there, or Taiwan. Would a B Commerce (International) be a good degree to do so, majoring in Actuarial and International Business?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
As I said, doing Comm (international) may offer slightly better prospect of working overseas. You can do normal commerce or comm/eco or comm (liberal) and do exchange program which will further help you with the prospect of working overseas. Otherwise, I really don't see much point with Comm (international). But if you would like to learn a language and study international business, why not? Do finance + actuarial + international business then =)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Multiple is an understatement.

I leave at 3am maybe once or twice a year, and at midnight about 20% of the year. And I'm in audit. Such is the way of Commerce particularly in FS-related industries.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A

I leave at 3am maybe once or twice a year, and at midnight about 20% of the year. And I'm in audit. Such is the way of Commerce particularly in FS-related industries.
haha i think its just you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

omg WHAT? audits work like that and get paid peanut? (apparently)

:S do you guys get paid overtime?

natebrah1

HSC
Can someone help me out.. what exactly does IB and MC stand for?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I did my MBA at UTS GSB (Graduate School of Business) and it was good. Some really good lecturers, some really bad -- Every single law lecturer I had was awesome.
The accounting lecturers were pretty damn good except the auditing lecturer -- he was author of the textbook, but he was crap! The finance lecturers were ok, only one was really good (Zoltan), management was good. I can't really fault most of the lecturers at all.
Although I did basically have to teach one of the classes :\ Which was kind of funny.. That was my worst experience, it was a summer class, we had two 'lecturers', both of which were useless.. I had to object to so much stuff they said, I ended up teaching it to half of the class, hahaha. And got a HD :)

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
For front-office IB UTS would be at a disadvantage, ceteris paribus, vs UNSW/USyd. For most jobs it won't matter.

Last edited:

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Does it matter?! Its what you make of your degree in the end and its up to the individual to put in the effort to study etc. I have friends going to UTS B School and they can tell you that its up to you to make it somewhere in the end and that its really not that bad. You study the same thing and come out with the same degree ~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)