Is law boring? (1 Viewer)

funstudy

HSC
Is law boring? I mean considering all the lectures/readings, is it actually interesting material?

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I find it interesting, but I have a passion for law and enjoy learning about it. In my first year the content wasn't dry at all - it was very interesting and engaging. You apply what you learn to problem questions so you know what your learning is relevant and practical. Law requires logic, imagination (for problem questions) and critical thinking. I think it's fantastic.

Bobbo1

HSC
How much reading is required for law? Like on a weekly or daily level? Because I'm not the fastest reader and fear that I might get bogged down by all the reading... Also does law really require you to be extroverted/talkative or can introverts succeed? Thanks

enoilgam

HSC
How much reading is required for law? Like on a weekly or daily level? Because I'm not the fastest reader and fear that I might get bogged down by all the reading... Also does law really require you to be extroverted/talkative or can introverts succeed? Thanks
I am not that far into the degree, but there is quite a bit of reading (the exact amount depends on the subjects/lecturer) The volume of reading is compounded by the complexity of the material - case law is often very difficult to understand, so you need strong comprehension skills. You dont need to be extroverted to succeed in law, but obviously you need good interpersonal and verbal communication skills (as you would for the vast majority of professions). Contrary to popular belief, debating and arguing arent common tasks for lawyers - many lawyers often hardly ever go to court. However, debating and arguing are necessary skills if you want to become a barrister.

Back to the OP, whether Law is boring or not is pretty subjective - it really depends on the person. I mean, I personally find it quite boring, but I know a few people who find it interesting and engaging.

Last edited:

inJust

HSC
yeah im interested as well to see if people think law is boring haha

Bobbo1

HSC
I am not that far into the degree, but there is quite a bit of reading (the exact amount depends on the subjects/lecturer) The volume of reading is compounded by the complexity of the material - case law is often very difficult to understand, so you need strong comprehension skills. You dont need to be extroverted to succeed in law, but obviously you need good interpersonal and verbal communication skills (as you would for the vast majority of professions). Contrary to popular belief, debating and arguing arent common tasks for lawyers - many lawyers often hardly ever go to court. However, debating and arguing are necessary skills if you want to become a barrister.

Back to the OP, whether Law is boring or not is pretty subjective - it really depends on the person. I mean, I personally find it quite boring, but I know a few people who find it interesting and engaging.
I want a number dammit, nah jokes. Like how many hours of reading would be required per day on average?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Some things are interesting while some are not e.g. reading the glorious revolution crap is boring. It was fun reading about a guy filing a lawsuit against himself in Torts haha

lawstu

HSC
Probably everyone finds law rigorous and stimulating but you'd probably be hard pressed to find anyone who found all of law boring. With its reach so broad, there's bound to be something for everyone.

I would hazard that 90% of law students - all current second- and third-years? - would find that law was generally dull and plain onerous. Life seems pretty awful until you're admitted to the bar or law council - and that's but a small victory and life isn't just awesome, but I guess the little things are what you'll have to live for for the next few years. To each, his/her own. To me, law in general seems not at all boring, but I can't say I'm too interested or fussed with money or commercial law (IP, contracts, dispute resolution, and some other areas are exceptions. I guess you can't really say specifically and exclusively commercial law).

is a roflcopter
HSC
only interesting subjects for me were - torts, criminal law for about 3-4 weeks, and income tax law (nerd side of me just clicked)

rest of the sht was boring.

to the other question - readings were about 30-40 pages each subject, each class. so if you are doing 4 law classes with 2 classes a week, thats 240 pages a week (of fkn tiny font archaic english). obviously not compulsory since you will have friends that will share their notes during exams :D

whemand

HSC
N/A
No. It seems boring for those who are uninterested. If you love it, you won’t find it boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)