Is my concept too generic??? (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
So we're already like a quarter of the way down the track and I'd defs say its too late to change major work concepts, but I still can't shrug off the feeling that I've chosen something too generic and unimaginative not like what other ppl have chosen. To be honest there weren't any concepts in particular that I was passionate about, let alone interested, but then I finally came up with one; in my short story I'm trying to investigate the nature of character change in relation to contextual values, that is the values and principles of the society within the text, using a dystopian society as the backdrop. But I need opinions! Would anyone be kind enough to tell me whether I've chosen too generic or bland a concept cause I could do with the reassurance

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I don't neccesarily think it's too generic. With time your concept will become more defined, e.g. I started off with 'gender roles' and am now refining that further to something like 'gender roles as shown within Modernist literature' or something along those lines.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
So we're already like a quarter of the way down the track and I'd defs say its too late to change major work concepts, but I still can't shrug off the feeling that I've chosen something too generic and unimaginative not like what other ppl have chosen. To be honest there weren't any concepts in particular that I was passionate about, let alone interested, but then I finally came up with one; in my short story I'm trying to investigate the nature of character change in relation to contextual values, that is the values and principles of the society within the text, using a dystopian society as the backdrop. But I need opinions! Would anyone be kind enough to tell me whether I've chosen too generic or bland a concept cause I could do with the reassurance
I did something very similar (character change and withdrawal from the USSR) and it ended up working out fine. Differentiate your MW by creating an original and evocative setting, experiment with language forms and get to know your character really well so that you can think up a moving and un-cliched ending for him/her. Good luck with it!

ptrgrgry

HSC
in my short story I'm trying to investigate the nature of character change in relation to contextual values, that is the values and principles of the society within the text
Um... I'm confused. This is a creative writing piece right? I didn't know we needed some incredibly 'literary' concept behind it. I mean my story has concepts but they do not sound like something from an HSC English rubric. Does our creative have to be 'literature about literature'?

Last edited:

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Well I admit I'm not overly creative in the concept that I have chosen but the most important thing as I see it is to ensure that it shines through in the major work and is clearly dealt with and examined. However, I need to be more innovative in my approach though, suggestions anyone?

proletariat

HSC
Um... I'm confused. This is a creative writing piece right? I didn't know we needed some incredibly 'literary' concept behind it. I mean my story has concepts but they do not sound like something from an HSC English rubric. Does our creative have to be 'literature about literature'?
No, it doesn't necessarily have to be metafiction XD

Its just that very few people would be able to write in a classical literature style (like look at Frankenstein and the author's writing style.. ._. forgot the author.) so we take up postmodern - which is relatively easy to write in / adapt to / etc.

and dont worry about being too generic. my plot is based around a 17 year old writing his english ext 2 work (lol) with the concept of different perspectives :/

BrandZ

HSC
i think you could do a dual narrative with one storyline dystopian and the other a utopian. the could kinda start off as the same character and at the end there'll be a dramatic difference between the two. a little like sliding doors with paltrow

ptrgrgry

HSC
i think you could do a dual narrative with one storyline dystopian and the other a utopian. the could kinda start off as the same character and at the end there'll be a dramatic difference between the two. a little like sliding doors with paltrow
Ooohhh, and maybe at the end you find out that the utopia is a dystopia because happiness must be imposed on citizens and that the dystopia is a utopia because at least the citizens are free. The underlying message could be something about how one man's utopia is another man's dystopia (or something equally gay).

...Okay, maybe that's a shit idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)