Is Society and Culture any good? (1 Viewer)

filip23

HSC
hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts/experiences were on Society & culture. i'll be starting yr11 next year and i have elected to do it, though can't decide whether to swap it for something else. i've heard that it is 'easy to get good marks in' and that the exams are very 'straightforward'.
On the other hand, i've heard it can be a pain in the ass, with all the graphs/surveys etc

I need some advice. HELP!

neontiger

HSC
I love it! It's been my favourite subject in senior years. It's not easy, strictly speaking. You need to have analytical skills and the ability to remember statistics etc. But having said that it's not too content heavy for a Humanities subject.

The graphs/surveys only become a problem when the PIP rolls around but as long as you work on it consistently you should be fine!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm 100% serious about knowing one of the girls who topped the state last year. She seemed decently intelligent when she still went to school with me, so if she can top the state... well, if you're a decently intelligent person who puts in a lot of effort into it - you can, and will, go far.

So... yeah.

kinneretov

HSC
it's my favourite subject, also in life not just in studies.
go for it.

avro

HSC
It's fun and requires you to think and stay up-to-date with current media and affairs, both local and international. You have to back up your responses with statistics and the like, just like any essay where you need proof. The content is not too difficult, which is a bonus. But then again, it helps if you have a genuine interest in it. It's great as you can incorporate real-life examples into your responses. You also need to have significant motivation/enjoyment of the subject in year 12 as you have to complete both a major work, as well as sitting exams for the hsc. Overall though, it's an awesome course which uses a lot of modern information and applies it to real-life concepts. The first topic in year 11, I think social and cultural world from memory can be a little dry at first when you first learn the key concepts etc, but it gets a lot better :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tk8

jnney

lemon
HSC
it depends.

i started off year 11 thinking that it would be my favourite subject, i was so excited about it. but i found it incredibly boring and dropped it after the 5th or 6th week. apparently it got more interesting after i dropped it. see how you go, and if you don't like it, you could always change afterwards.

:)

jnney

lemon
HSC
oh - what you can do is - go to the book store and flick through the S and C textbooks

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
Society & Culture is undoubtedly my favourite subject- then again, my teacher is incredible, so that might contribute to my perceptions towards the subject. I guess what I love most about Society is that it's so relevant to the outside world- you'll find that what you discuss/learn about in class is so applicable to understanding the different forces, aspects and influences upon your environment and identity.

I think Society isn't 'easy' in the sense that it's not a subject you can rote-learn/memorise (like you can with several other subjects, esp Legal); it requires active engagement with the content, and application to your own micro world. If that's what you like, then absolutely it's a subject for you.

What are you tossing up between? If it's another subject I do, then I can offer you much better advice :)

eja2000

HSC
Depends on your personality, political views and interests. If you're interested in foreign countries and culture, then it may be of interest to you. How interesting it is as a subject is based around how interesting the teacher makes it, really. That said, some of the segments included in the course can be quite leftist in political approach (again, the degree of this is based on your teacher.)

I hope that helps you more than it confuses you, haha. :p

mi misma

HSC
dont do it. its suicide and depression. its horrible, regretting heaps at the moment. :(((

d-alarmclock

HSC
Honestly my favourite subject, and I'm a science based girl, so that's saying something. It really makes you more open to everything, and requires you to think. And yes, the marks aren't very hard to get, as long as you're not a complete dumb ads.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Society and Culture

- It is an inherently interesting subject
- Certain generational theories and social theories can be hard to comprehend, and understanding the concepts in relation to society and culture can be hard to handle
- Depending on how you see it there is a major work involved. If you genuinely want to have the opportunity to research a topic of your own choosing go for it.
- The PIP generally impacts on people taking it or not as it is a big part of the HSC year.

It is not any easier to "get marks in", obviously there is a lot of work and effort required, however it appears more doable than Chemistry or Physics.
Personally I find SAC not too challenging, I put the least amount of work into it apart from exam time and I am pretty much topping it.
However the biggest drawbacks for me is due to the slow-pace of the subject, I don't find it challenging and I find it sometimes a "waste of a unit". For example I feel I could learn more in biology or legal studies and stuff that's more useful.

If you want to do well in SAC, having good writing and communication skills really helps, also knowing the course concepts. You need to be original. A lot of people do it, and its not too challenging so to get top marks u have to differentiate yourself from others, you need to keep up to date with the news and issues in society.

mont

HSC
Hello!
I really do enjoy society and culture and it's really interesting, especially when you get past the methodologies work at the start (which is repetitive and boring). I just started my HSC year and it's good so far, just be aware of the PIP!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)