Is sport compulsory? (1 Viewer)

benn07

HSC
Not at my school, well its only compulsory as pdhpe from yrs 7-10, and i go to a private school.

HSC
benn07 said:
Not at my school, well its only compulsory as pdhpe from yrs 7-10, and i go to a private school.
sport is only compulsory by the bos in yr 7-10

from yr 11 - 12 its an elective

for my school and in pretty much all catholic schools its compulsory to do at least 1 unit of religion. if u dont want to they simply just ask u to leave the college but i have never heard of such a case where someone left for that reason. but obviously studies of religion is NOT compulsory by the bos but is by the schoolor alternativly u can do catholic studies which is not a counted units subject.

i presume this is how pe is working for ur school.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
We have to do sport this term however its optional next year.
I dont know, it seems silly to me because this is year 12 just like next year will be.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Sarah182 said:
We have to do sport this term however its optional next year.
I dont know, it seems silly to me because this is year 12 just like next year will be.
No, you're not in Year 12 - you're in Term 4, Year 11, where it is generally expected you will commence the HSC course.</nitpicking>

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
My school doesn't even offer sport in any way to year 11 and 12.
I think they're introducing PDHPE for year 11 next year.
Go international schools :D

So no, I don't believe it's compulsory for year 11 or 12.
It is for 7-10 though.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
We now have tutorials during sport since we are in year 12 now.

ratcher0071

HSC
Sport's not compulsory for our year group. Unless you made it onto the school team :cool: . When you don't have tutorials, you get to go home, yay.

tommo2198

HSC
well at my school we have no sport for years 11 and 12 and that really sucks! i think we should get outdoors atleast once! throughout the week and have a break from school.

bored of sc

HSC
Sport is only compulsory from years 7-10 since years 11-12 is post-compulsory education meaning we don't have to be at school anymore.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As my school has had years where we haven't had Year 10 do Sport (but they did do PDHPE) and we went through BOS registration with no problems I think I am right in saying that the BOS actually doesn't mandate Sport at all but does mandate 300 hours of PDHPE between Years 7 and 10.

Schools, on the other hand, can mandate Sport up to and including Year 12 if if fits the ethos of the school.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
cem said:
As my school has had years where we haven't had Year 10 do Sport (but they did do PDHPE) and we went through BOS registration with no problems I think I am right in saying that the BOS actually doesn't mandate Sport at all but does mandate 300 hours of PDHPE between Years 7 and 10.

Schools, on the other hand, can mandate Sport up to and including Year 12 if if fits the ethos of the school.
I have been told by teachers before that our Sport lessons were counted towards the PDHPE hours as practical time; is that what generally happens in most schools?

Hannargh

HSC
In my school it's compulsory to do Sport and PD.H.PE from Years 7 to 10. After that you can do PD.H.PE as an elective and Sport if you feel like doing so.

I do photograph in a block lesson during Sport times on Thursday afternoon. :)

I don't have to do another sporty lesson ever again! YAY for laziness!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ajdlinux said:
I have been told by teachers before that our Sport lessons were counted towards the PDHPE hours as practical time; is that what generally happens in most schools?
It depends on how many hours of practical are in the PDHPE course - we cover the required hours in PDHPE so Sport then is an extra that we don't need to do but other schools may cut back the practical element of the PDHPE and thus need to have Sport hours to make up the minimum stipulated by the BOS.

punhanii

HSC
i've never had a sports day in my life :)
My school doesnt have sport days... instead we get extra holidays LOL

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
punhanii said:
i've never had a sports day in my life :)
My school doesnt have sport days... instead we get extra holidays LOL
Umm........ Good for you?

fjnpenguin

HSC
Sport is AWESOME! got cricket finals in 2weeks Belmore high or Syd tec GOING DOWN! and no its not compulsory for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)