is standard crappY? (1 Viewer)

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
ok~ question:confused: .........
i dropped from Advanced to Standard ( i got relli crap marks even though i thought Adv wasnt hard :mad: )
enyway.. i keep being told left right and center that dropping down to Standard was a crap idea.. now its too late and im :eek: :mad: :( :( :( :confused: ??
so as HSC English veterans, can u guyZ tell me the whole truth?

and also my Eng class is full of ppl i dunt like :(

Rojc01

HSC
Hay hay m8 i know just how you feel.

I also dropped out of adv english because of such a bad preformance. Now i do english standard.

It is crap as, the people there are like :confused: . And my teacher, she is just as bad. She can't get a grip of these wacko's. Around 7 of the guys don't even known what a HSC is. Seriously man.

Just try hard on the test and focus more on other subjects. Thats what i'm doing.

Good luck

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Tough it out guys. You might be surrounded by lost-ies, but you can still pull off a decent mark if you do what is nessesary.

Ac

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
the english pplz are dumb in my school that is.. i get 50% in a test and kick all four classes asses

i wish i did advacned thoz i regret that all through my yr 11 and part yr 12 life

plus the makrs r bloody low when it comes to uAi

chait

the question shld be - is English crappy? the answer is YES :)
i dropped from advanced to standard as well (I regretted it later).. just couldn't stand the pointlessness of the subject. standard was even worse than advanced.. think I've mentioned it elsewhere, but English is a great chance to hone your skills at BSing.. it's such a biased subject.

hey, check this thread out..

The subject I hate most is ... http://hsc.ozlpn.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1694

well, there's my cynical (and honest) version :) goodluck

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Back on topic...

If you do really well in the Standard assessments and get a good ranking (I think by 'good' I mean in the top five percent or so?) then you have a good chance of your English mark NOT pulling you down.

That's my perception of how this thing works anyway :)

chait

Originally posted by Bon
anti has the right idea, in 2001, people who scored in the top 1% of standard english scaled by a factor of 1 or more. A mark of 74 (top 5.35%) scaled to 69.

If you're going for a UAI of 99, then you should have done advanced. :D

However, you can still get above 90 easily while doing standard english..
yes it's possible to get over 90 when doing standard. there was a girl last yr who got 96 and she got in the 70s (mid 70s if i remem correctly). she didn't do physics, chemistry or 4u maths. in fact, she did subs like pdhpe, general maths and senior science.

I know of one girl in the top 10% of the grade this yr who will most likely get 99 or close to it (the top 10% is virtually guaranteed 99+ at my School), even though she does standard english. This is probably b/c she topped 4u maths and came near the top in other subs such as biz studies and economics. So it isn't impossible for ppl who do standard to get 99. It depends on your mix of subjects, as well as a whole host of other factors. Though it's true to say that most ppl who get 99+ do do advanced levels of english - I know of only 1 person in the top 10% who did standard eng. More people out of the top 10% also get 99+, so it isn't easy to predict.. guess we'll know soon enough. :(

mmhmm

r u sure its not too late for u to change to advanced. i also dropped advanced to do standard.............it was worst thing i ever did! stupid me in yr 11 i tried really hard in all my subjects except english cuz i always had the perception that u dont need to study 4 english. i ended up doing well in standard and actually trying cuz i didnt wanna risk it but i know it would have been alot better for my uai if i did advanced.

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
well its definately too late now ~_~
cause we already had assess stuff..~
so enyway its ok~ cause i got highest score in class for that ases so im temporarily happy;)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
I know that one term has gone by and that you have done assess etc, but did you do the area of study for term 1? cause if you did you should be able to change back to up advanced cause everyone does the AOS and you wont need to catch up on anything.

professor

i have this problem with english, like when they tell us to look at things and analyse it, i can do it quite well and 'say' whats importance is in it, but if i was do write in essay form, i can only do well up to an extent and can only get max 15/20..

plz help!!:(

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by professor
i have this problem with english, like when they tell us to look at things and analyse it, i can do it quite well and 'say' whats importance is in it, but if i was do write in essay form, i can only do well up to an extent and can only get max 15/20..

plz help!!:(
15/20 isn't bad.

try taking your texts one at a time and analysing them as your normally would if you weren't writing an essay and then do and intro and conclusion for an essay, put your little paragraphs in and add some linking sentences here and there, and that might help a bit.

professor

i tried that, but usually i end up with a pretty short essay and i try to expand on each of the points made afterwards...but somehow i still lack something...:worried:

jessika

law chicky
HSC
seriously 15/20 is really good, especially if your getting that kind of mark in paper 1!!!!

just keep trying and you'll get there.

short essays eh...stick a big long quote in haha.

needtostudy

Originally posted by jessika
seriously 15/20 is really good, especially if your getting that kind of mark in paper 1!!!!

just keep trying and you'll get there.

short essays eh...stick a big long quote in haha.
yeh i agree
i wonder if standard doesn't scale u up but down
any one know ?

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by sukiyaki

ahh my band 6 dream dieds slowly away *cries*
im aiming at least low band 6 or high 5's :D

oh boy its going to be a tough year :(

Shocker_85

Originally posted by tt_j65
standard eng rules :cool:

just get high band 5's and ur set :D
how?
do u have any suggestions on how to study for english?
and how to improve?

i want to get Band 5...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by tt_j65

im aiming at least low band 6 or high 5's :D

oh boy its going to be a tough year :(
hate to shatter your dreams...band 6 = almost impossible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)