• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is suicide the "easy" option? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've just been involved in a msn debate about whether suicide is the "easy" option. I believe that suicide is never easy, and while I accept that it can be taken as often the easier option, I do not believe it is the easy way out that everyone claims it is.

My basic reasons for this are the relatively low number of suicides that occur (something that was an easy option, when compared with life... you would expect to be popular).
Stats on Suicide (2001)

Also, I believe most deaths involve a significant ammount of pain / a really hard decision.

So is suicide the "easy" option? or is it just the "easier" option sometimes to people when life gets too hard? Lets ignore people who kill themselves while drugged / insane.

rumour

HSC
No, I don't think it is an easier option. But it depends on how fucked up your life is I guess, to think that suicide is a better than continuing to live.

Last edited:

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
So is suicide the "easy" option? or is it just the "easier" option sometimes to people when life gets too hard? Lets ignore people who kill themselves while drugged / insane.
I don't believe its the easy option but I do think it the easier option in some circumstances.If that makes sense.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't think suicide can be considered in terms of "an easy decision" or "an easy way out". One has to have some serious psychological issues to attempt suicide, whether or not it is "successful". You can't see it really as someone making a rational decision... my life sucks and I want to easy way out, I might kill myself... I don't think that is really the sort of thought process people would go through, and to simplify suicide in that way is kind of offensive I think- it neglects the underlying mental health issues people who are suicidal face. It comes from the same branch narrow minded type viewpoints such as "people with anorexia should just get over it and eat some food"... it shows a lack of understanding, or willingless to understand, in my opinion.

Though on the other hand I could see how some could see it as "easier" because of the suffering of those who lose a loved one to suicide, I still think it is a narrow view which doesn't take account of the real mental and emotional causes behind a person's decision to suicide. You can never really know someone's private pain and anguish and what is going on in their mind.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
haha iam one of the latest up on BOS, check post time- 3:45

yeah so suicide i dont think is the easy way out, seems kind of hard to throw your life away i think. i think its more of a mental issue that the person needs counciling about. like we have all thought about suicide but not many of us would have thought about it seriously because we are mentally normal lol

so its a problem that needs to be fixed

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I don't believe it is the easy way out. Having contemplated it once at one stage of my life it wasn't an easy decision. Alot of thought went into the choice of life or death, the effects, the benefits and the problems at arise should the take be undertaken.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Sucide isn't something most people 'plan' I've noticed - people can exhibit suicidal tendancies, can be severley depressed and can talk about killing themselves, but don't really want to want to kill themselves until the moment they actually do it. They don't want to die, they just want to escape - suicide is the ultimate form of running from your problems - suicide isn't death but rather simply escape. It's usually a spare of the moment thing - when the pain gets too much and they just want to escape, suicide is a quick fix to their problems. So yes, I do see suicide as an easy way out, as it is running away - those who give thought to what they're actually doing quite often don't go through with it, or do a half arsed job anyway - thats why so many people (teenagers and young adults esspecially) will kill themselves while drunk or on drugs. Alcohol not only makes your problems seem a million times worse, you quite often don't realse the rammifications of what you're doing, and just want to be free at that moment.

Killing yourself may take alot of guts, but facing your problems, dealing with them rather than running takes even more.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
All potential suicidals should read Hamlet's "to be or not to be" monolouge before going through with it.

IMO, 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune than to take arms against a sea of troubles.

Last edited:

rink

HSC
Killing yourself may take alot of guts, but facing your problems, dealing with them rather than running takes even more - White rabbit

Bravo. Well said white rabbit

Ofcourse it's the easier option. Those who commit suicide are cowards who can't face their problems. Whatever happened to the value of life being characterised by the difficulties we face and our ability to overcome them? And dont give me that ''it's not exactly easy to stab urself'' crap. Obviously for those ppl it IS harder to go on living the way they are than to bring themselves to kill themselves. Im not saying those who committ suicide dont have difficulties in life. No, they obviously do. But i've always believed in facing our fears and the difficulties in life because in the end, it's those ppl who have the right to say that they achieved sumthing in life. Geez, despite our perceptions of ourselves being an 'intellectual, technologically advanced and civilised group' society is getting dumber by the minute.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
it's not the easy way out
i had a mate when i was in year 8 commit suicide
hardest time in my life, if anyone says it's the easy way out. talk to someones family who has lost a son, daughter, father, mother. it's unbarebly hard to contend with

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
bowman said:
hardest time in my life, if anyone says it's the easy way out. talk to someones family who has lost a son, daughter, father, mother. it's unbarebly hard to contend with
I know what you mean.

I actually had a girl that I was obbbbbbsessed with suicide in year 9.
It really hurt. I think there was one night where I came close to jumping off the headland.

I've dealt with the hurt mostly now, but there are some nights where I swear she's in my room.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I don't know if it's an easy way out. Im move of the opinion that people think that theyrem life is just too hard, that they don't have the strength to go on anymore. So it's easier, but only for the person (assuming they suceed) it's increadibly hard for the family.
I'm with whiterabbit, I think that facing your problems is a lot harder them killing yourself

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
bowman said:
It's the easy way out for him. As you've shown, it's also the selfish way out.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
yeah, selfish is the way to put it
for months after i would cry myself to sleep

i just want this to realise anyone who thinks about suicide it realises what an effect it has on people.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
selfish, cowardly, "wrong", its everything but easy. it's the hardest thought process to really understand i guess and if its not easy for anyone to really understand i wouldn't call the end decision to commit suicide an easy one.

(oh and its commit suicide, suicide isn't a verb)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What if you do it for the good of others?...
Jesus committed suicide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)