Is the law degree at uow any good? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of the quality of education, you are likely not to be disappointed as you will have an enriching learning experience throughout your time at university, irrespective of the specific university that you choose to attend. Making an informed decision with respect to studying law could be slightly trickier than another degree given the nature of the legal industry, which is an aspect that may not be as relevant in the case of other fields. Based on this, whether you should study a Bachelor of Laws at UoW depends on a couple of factors, which are as follows:
  • Your career aspirations - What do you intend to do after graduating? Will you be planning on accepting whichever opportunities are available, or would you be more likely to aim for employment at one of the larger and more established firms? If the latter applies to you, USyd and UNSW would probably be a better option since they are perceived positively by top firms due to their more established law schools. I will also note that, regardless of the university that you end up choosing, there is an emphasis on favourable performance and whether a graduate has gained some form of work experience (such as through a clerkship), i.e. something to keep in mind.
  • Whether other options are available - As mentioned, if your goal is to land a position at one of the more established firms in the future, then USyd and UNSW are likely superior options. If neither of these universities is an option, you may wish to consider (potentially) slightly better alternatives, such as WSU, UTS and MQ.
Additionally, if you are passionate about studying law and wish to attend USyd or UNSW, but end up not receiving an offer to either university, you should accept any other offer that you may receive (including UoW) because you would still have the opportunity to study law in this case as opposed to dismissing this opportunity altogether.

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

So I'm a 2021 graduate who is currently studying law/commerce.

But tbh this year has kinda been rough and I wanna relocate, so on the 10th of November, I took the rather spontaneous decision to apply on UAC to study law at ANU. $200 decision LOL.

Just wondering when exactly (like what date) I'll find out the outcome, since there are quite a few offer rounds and idk if I have to wait until 2022 graduates get their ATAR etc. And also if I have the ATAR for it (my ATAR was 97.8), do you think my entry is guaranteed?

Anyone who can help answer these questions would be appreciated.

Since you already have an ATAR, which is one of the elements that ANU will use to assess your application, the other possibly being your university results in your current Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws (provided that you have completed at least one year of full-time study), you could expect to be notified of the outcome in December Round 1, which takes place on 8 December 2022 and happens to be before 2022 ATARs are released. The subsequent offer round is December Round 2, which takes place on 22 December 2022, a week after 2022 ATARs are released.

Despite the fact that it exceeds the minimum selection rank for ANU's Bachelor of Laws (Honours), I would not be inclined to assert that your ATAR guarantees you an offer to this degree, simply due to the fact that ANU states that its admissions process is of a competitive nature and that applicants who meet the minimum selection rank for their preferred program are not necessarily guaranteed an offer. However, it would be reasonable to suggest that you have a good chance of receiving an offer. Looking at recent ATAR profile data for this degree, the lowest ATAR to which an offer was made was 94.60 and your ATAR is considerably higher than that.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Ohhh thank u so much!

Can I also ask if I failed a uni course, would this impact the decision ANU makes?
No worries! Assuming that ANU takes your university results into consideration, failing a course in your current program likely makes your ATAR more advantageous. If that is the case, ANU would shift its focus to your ATAR and will assess whether you can be made an offer based on your ATAR.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
okay phew that's a relief
thanks!

sorry, can i just ask one more question?

atm, i'm at UNSW which has a far better ranking for law. do you think my moving to anu would impact my employability in the future?
Sure, my understanding is that, in the case of the legal industry, there is an emphasis on the university that a candidate attended, which becomes more significant at larger firms. While universities such as UNSW and USyd are considered to have very good law schools, ANU is also well-regarded in this respect as far as I am aware, meaning that in theory, you should not be missing out on much.

Additionally, an important thing to note is that, regardless of the university that a student attends, there is a need to achieve favourable results. If a student fails to perform at a high standard, this is likely to negatively impact their employability, even if they attended a university with a more established law school.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
m
In terms of the quality of education, you are likely not to be disappointed as you will have an enriching learning experience throughout your time at university, irrespective of the specific university that you choose to attend. Making an informed decision with respect to studying law could be slightly trickier than another degree given the nature of the legal industry, which is an aspect that may not be as relevant in the case of other fields. Based on this, whether you should study a Bachelor of Laws at UoW depends on a couple of factors, which are as follows:
  • Your career aspirations - What do you intend to do after graduating? Will you be planning on accepting whichever opportunities are available, or would you be more likely to aim for employment at one of the larger and more established firms? If the latter applies to you, USyd and UNSW would probably be a better option since they are perceived positively by top firms due to their more established law schools. I will also note that, regardless of the university that you end up choosing, there is an emphasis on favourable performance and whether a graduate has gained some form of work experience (such as through a clerkship), i.e. something to keep in mind.
  • Whether other options are available - As mentioned, if your goal is to land a position at one of the more established firms in the future, then USyd and UNSW are likely superior options. If neither of these universities is an option, you may wish to consider (potentially) slightly better alternatives, such as WSU, UTS and MQ.
Additionally, if you are passionate about studying law and wish to attend USyd or UNSW, but end up not receiving an offer to either university, you should accept any other offer that you may receive (including UoW) because you would still have the opportunity to study law in this case as opposed to dismissing this opportunity altogether.

Macquarie uni and western Sydney university is trash

(this was a joke sorry)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)