Is the sense of adventure under threat in the modern world? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
With our increasingly tech savy society, the rising pressure to endeavour in the capitalist system, take office jobs and work longer hours and the ever growing increase in the stock of knowledge regarding our little planet (and our insignificance), is there much left in the realm of discovery??

I mean are the days of exploration to distant and undiscovered lands over? Are we bored with our natural world? Would you prefer to spend your free time watching your 3D TV or playing farmtown on facebook?

In all seriousness, as our population grows and globalisation continues (and our environment falls apart) do you see there being much opportunity for adventure left?

I'm reminiscing on what it must have been like during the golden years of tomb raiding through Egypt (ie Belzoni and his crew), the early explorers to the polar caps, boarding Darwin's HMS Beagle...

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Keep in mind you can even explore Mars now without leaving your living room...

Google Mars

There's nothing left :(

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
for some people yes
i am still facinated by going to places iv never been even if they are just local
you dont have to go far in NSW to be in a place where you are completely isolated and its a great feeling

HSC
i see what you mean. its a slightly sad age to be living in. though when you think about it there was plenty of less glossy aspects to those times of exploration as well. imagine the hardships etc. the worlds gone soft though.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
pretty sheltered view imo

what do you individuals know of the world?

i know fuck all apart from my tiny existance

the difference in the way people live between here and sydney amazes me, let alone here an different coutnries and cultures

HSC
well maybe thats what the exploration is now, exploring what we've different cultures, countries etc.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Oh I'm the same on a personal level. My favourite days are just going bushwalking to a new waterfall, visiting a little town for the day inland a bit etc

I thrive on isolation in a healthy way.

But I'm more asking about the larger populus, on a societal level are we moving away this from this need for physical isolation/natural beauty?

We can replicate it for many using video games.

I guess another thought would be do you believe that a point will come where populations are so high that it will almost be impossible to be alone?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
well maybe thats what the exploration is now, exploring what we've different cultures, countries etc.
The issue is that many of them are violent, backwards and religious with little concern for the natural world that brought them into existence.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I attest that (anecdotally) the surf crowd has at least tripled in the last 5 years down here on the South Coast NSW.

The days are gone of getting up at 7 and having the waves with just a few mates...

The amount of rubbish that was left on the sand this morning from someone's lunch yesterday was also attrocious!

HSC
Oh I'm the same on a personal level. My favourite days are just going bushwalking to a new waterfall, visiting a little town for the day inland a bit etc

I thrive on isolation in a healthy way.

But I'm more asking about the larger populus, on a societal level are we moving away this from this need for physical isolation/natural beauty?

We can replicate it for many using video games.

I guess another thought would be do you believe that a point will come where populations are so high that it will almost be impossible to be alone?
i don't think so, at least i hope not. i think for most people there always comes a point when they have to get away, just be away from all that noise and energy. When we go on holidays we usually try to go somewhere quite, isolated, natural. Do you think this will encourage society to save our natural environment?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
i don't think so, at least i hope not. i think for most people there always comes a point when they have to get away, just be away from all that noise and energy. When we go on holidays we usually try to go somewhere quite, isolated, natural. Do you think this will encourage society to save our natural environment?
Yeah we always try to as well, but I even noticed how crowded our favourite carravan park has gotten over the last decade.

Then again, I'm no more special then other humans and have no more rights to be here, but the general thought of there just being more of us disgusts me.

In a nihilistic way I reckon we need a global catastrophe, one meteorite would disturb Earth's system and let it eventually bounce back and restore the system at a new level...I know that there's a good chance I might be killed in the process, but hmm. The paleontological record shows that this inevitably happens anyway...

Otherwise I don't think we will restore our environment. Innovations are driven by profit. The days of Darwin were driven by the thirst for knowledge and understanding for its own sake. Profits are the new ideology and they inevitably conflict with "holding back" on any process deemed destructive.

Then again as we recently saw with the Iceland volcano, the Earth is an extremely powerful system. A small eruption can shut the skies down (and profits), imagine if we had volcanic activity such as that during the end of the Permian with the Siberian Traps...

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
i think technology has made more rapers and murderers

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
If you want an adventure go and meet a stranger you met online, namely Facebook.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
yeah in some ways. what about networking sites, phones, all of that though? they've helped to promote communication.
i think mobile phones are the worst of all...sure theyre good for some situations and meeting up with people...but some people are on their phone all the time...its pretty much stuck to their hand...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i have this very adventurous side to me that can never get out, because of uni and the lack of forests in sydney :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)