Is there anyone currently doing the GLP? (1 Viewer)

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
I'm thinking about enrolling for it, but not quite sure about what they do in it. Listen to the convenors??? And for those session times...are each of those 3 cores run 3hours? Coz i might misread it as ...one core runs for more than 1 sessions, like doing it in different parts? Correct me if i'm wrong :p

Any if anyone here is doing the program now...do u find this program useful?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I signed up and enrolled in todays session.

I have 2 years ahead of me and it doesn't seem too bad except the Colloquil and compulsory cocktail party per semester.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah just got the email, now to book a session

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
The session is rather boring, its suppose to go for 2 hours but because it was a Friday they rushed through it.

I think if you have more than 1 year left in your studies then you should sign up because most of the program can be completed in the holidays.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, i've got 2 or more years depending on how well i go :p

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
applied for it, might as well have something on my resume

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I plan to add a "Did Stuff" "...Really Good"

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
It wont go on your resume unless you comp[lete the 200 points.

PLUS: This is the final year/semester that they will be accepting points from activities that you have been part of (such as mentoring) prior to joining the program.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
cool...i will sign up for it...not only for the resume...i actually wanna go somewhere else n study :p
btw...did u guys or girls sign up with friends or attend by ya self?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Sweet_Lemon said:
cool...i will sign up for it...not only for the resume...i actually wanna go somewhere else n study :p
btw...did u guys or girls sign up with friends or attend by ya self?
By myself, but then someone I knew showed up. :rolleyes:

Like it doesn't make much of difference. The colloquiel sessions that are compulsory they pretty much promote meeting new people but I would be more comfortable being with people I know at first (like if I attend a seminar overseas it would be nice to have someone I know attend too).

Apparently the grant at Macqurie Uni is 3 x $7000 worth per student.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
I'm thinking about enrolling for it, but not quite sure about what they do in it. Listen to the convenors??? And for those session times...are each of those 3 cores run 3hours? Coz i might misread it as ...one core runs for more than 1 sessions, like doing it in different parts? Correct me if i'm wrong :p

Any if anyone here is doing the program now...do u find this program useful?
I signed up last semester, so far i've attended one core colloquia (they get booked out fast!), went to 2 on-campus seminar things which got me 10 pts, and yeah attended that cocktail night thing.

Do i find it useful? Hmm from the stuff ive attended i cant say i really learnt anything new, but its ok i guess. Yeah i basically signed up for my resume, plus i wanna go on exchange eventually...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Apparently the grant at Macqurie Uni is 3 x $7000 worth per student.
lol check that. People who go overseas for a semester get $3000 and that is the highest grant. I also heard each student could only get 2 grants.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
bscienceboi said:
10 for mentoring

40 for mentor leader
thats pretty good. i would do it, but most of the points require you to go overseas, using your own cash right? It would sort of disrupt the general flow of things for me i think. looks ok though.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
thats pretty good. i would do it, but most of the points require you to go overseas, using your own cash right? It would sort of disrupt the general flow of things for me i think. looks ok though.
Since you have already mentored (and you get 20 points for mentoring) if you are considering joining you could join right at the end of this semester anyway. This is the last semester where you can count previous points, so if you don't join this semester you won't be able to count mentoring. If you join at the end of the semester you miss the cocktail party which means you would not have had to attend.

Most of the points are obtained by going overseas and yes you would spend a lot of money but they might add new ways to get points in the future. I don't think they can expect everyone to go overseas, it's not practical and in a way it is a bit discriminatory on the basis of money. Even if they give a large grant people are likely to spend $2000 minimum, $5000 average and maybe $15000 maximum on going overseas.

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
They give you enough money to cover travel expenses, living and food to the point where they make sure you can't be making a profit from the program. But there are exceptions suh as a attendance fee when joining seminars overseas and such.

And you can go for like 1 day if you have to and they will cover that cost, its not just going to study abroad and theres really no set period.

There are different ways to get points (this is like the 4th time I have repeated myself in this forum now). They will add more ways to get points and you can suggest ways or you can provide them with details of things you have done that you believe you should be awarded points for.

http://www.international.mq.edu.au/GLP/ExperimentalCredit.html

And its compulsory to attend the cocktail parties which is once every semester.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
If that was a reply to me I will reply back:

bscienceboi said:
They give you enough money to cover travel expenses, living and food to the point where they make sure you can't be making a profit from the program. But there are exceptions suh as a attendance fee when joining seminars overseas and such.
I was wrong about the $3000 maximum, the maximum is $4000 for a semester and $2000 for an additional semester
Go right to the bottom of the page, there are the grants:
http://www.international.mq.edu.au/abroad/important/student_exchange.html

The fact is that for a whole semester, $4000 will only cover the airfare and minimal living expenses. A lot of the expense is out of your own pocket. A lot of people can't afford it, even with the grant, although the grant is obviously a great thing that all students are thankful for.

bscienceboi said:
There are different ways to get points (this is like the 4th time I have repeated myself in this forum now). They will add more ways to get points and you can suggest ways or you can provide them with details of things you have done that you believe you should be awarded points for.
Yes but if you look at the list a lot of the points can only be obtained by going overseas. About 1/3 of the listed points come from going overseas. Two of the listed points are from doing a subject - that is good if you are doing a degree that has those subjects but I would not take a subject just for the GLP.

I do not disagree that they should be on the list, they should definitely be there, but what I am saying is if you eliminate the above it could be difficult to get the points.

bscienceboi said:
And its compulsory to attend the cocktail parties which is once every semester.
But if you join this semester after the cocktail party you can't really attend.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)