Is there anyone currently doing the GLP? (1 Viewer)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Iambored -

Yes, they offer you travel grants to just cover expenses. And you also do not have to go for a whole semester, you can go for 3 days to a conference in say Singapore during the holidays and they cover that too. You really shouldn't have to pay out from your own pocket unless you decide to use the grant for your own benefit thats unrelated to the program.

Yes, I know that the majority of activities involve going overseas, I never said they werent. I only mentioned that you can provide them with alternate suggestions. Most subjects are considered "leadership" based and you can claim those and I was told pretty much everyone gets those 10 points without having to enrol into a class. Philosophy is one subject thats considered and some business ones.

Obviously if you join the GLP program after the cocktail party you can't attend =|

The program promotes participation in world events and cross culture awareness. You won't be able to complete the program without going overseas at least once. It's good for those who have alrady gone or decided to go in the future.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Obviously if you join the GLP program after the cocktail party you can't attend =|
I thought your comment on the GLP was related to my comment to cyan about joining after so he doesn't have to go

bscienceboi said:
Yes, they offer you travel grants to just cover expenses. And you also do not have to go for a whole semester, you can go for 3 days to a conference in say Singapore during the holidays and they cover that too. You really shouldn't have to pay out from your own pocket unless you decide to use the grant for your own benefit thats unrelated to the program.
What I am getting at though is that the travel grants don't cover expenses. (and shouldn't have to, it's not the uni's responsibility). If you go to singapore for 3 days to a conference, as the table shows, they will give you $500. This will not cover expenses for the flight, conference, accomodation and food. This point can be seen better by considering that same amount will be given if you go to singapore for a 2 week conference. It won't even get close tojust covering expenses.

lol, I think we are arguing different topics, but I don't want to do my assignment.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
IAMBORED:

Even if he joins GLP after the cocktail party he'll still have to attend the ones each semester later in the future until he finishes it.

Does GLP cover the cost for the cocktail parties?

Where does it say you get $500 for going to a 3 day conference? (I'm quite certain that the $500 is additional to the grant covering the flight).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
http://www.international.mq.edu.au/abroad/important/student_exchange.html
At the bottom of that page there are the grants listed
Singapore is in Asia, the bottom row. A conference would not be with a macquarie partner so it is the last column.

If you think the $500 is on top of money given for the flight, would you think all figures listed on that page are on top of money given for the flight? I know that not all of them listed there are on top of money for the flight and I am fairly sure they are all 'flat rates' for grants.

Yes, cocktail parties are free for us to attend. They give alcohol, other drinks and finger food (nice finger food, not sausage rolls).

I think the program is a great initiative, I hope it continues, becomes recognisable and is a great experience.

Last edited:

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
i applied yesterday...but seems like i need to wait for a reply email before i sign for a welcome session...btw...i'm thinking about taking a French beginner course...coz i wanna go on an exchange to France :p travel grants are great...cover for the airfare..but rest...think i will earn some cash now...for later use :p I didn't really think that 4000 will be enough for going on an exchange...and I thought there's 2 cocktail party each yr or am i wrong :p oops~

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Sweet_Lemon said:
i applied yesterday...but seems like i need to wait for a reply email before i sign for a welcome session...btw...i'm thinking about taking a French beginner course...coz i wanna go on an exchange to France :p travel grants are great...cover for the airfare..but rest...think i will earn some cash now...for later use :p I didn't really think that 4000 will be enough for going on an exchange...and I thought there's 2 cocktail party each yr or am i wrong :p oops~
1 cocktail party every semester which you have to attend as long as your in the GLP program.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
i applied yesterday...but seems like i need to wait for a reply email before i sign for a welcome session...
i applied ages ago and i still havent got an email back yet

reckn i should ring them???

100 points for going on exchange, awesome, ill be half way there! :D

CrashOveride

HSC
i heard from a mate doing this tha tbasically you have to be involved regularly over the 4yrs or whatever you are at uni in order to be able to get their award or something..and hence put LEADERSHIP on your CV?

Discuss.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Anyone else still to book? Wanna go together as a group? I don't want to go as a loner rofl :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
CrashOveride said:
i heard from a mate doing this tha tbasically you have to be involved regularly over the 4yrs or whatever you are at uni in order to be able to get their award or something..and hence put LEADERSHIP on your CV?

Discuss.
you dont have to be involved regularly. you only have to go to the cocktail pary. if you do nothing for 3 years, just go to the cocktail parties and then in the last year get all the experimental credit and go to all the colloquia you will get it.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I think I'd rather do the overseas requirements first and see how it is, then the workshops.

Theres no point doing 3 hour workshops and 10 of them for no reason if I decide I can't do (or afford) the trip overseas.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
AsyLum said:
Anyone else still to book? Wanna go together as a group? I don't want to go as a loner rofl :(
Booking and going to colloquia alone is done. It's the cocktail party where you want to have friends because it would be daunting turning up alone.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Another Question:
I've Completed The Regstration Form, So I Have To Get An Email Back From Them Then Book Into The Welcome Session Or I Can Book The Welcome Session Right Now???

hammond

Cricket Fanatic
HSC
i booked into a welcome session with out receivng a email from them after i registered on the website
anyone going to welcome session tommorrow night

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
see how they are talking about getting credit if you attend conferences and work shops etc (just looked at the website), do we have to find about these ourselves, or do they tell us about them and we decide to go or not???

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
Another Question:
I've Completed The Regstration Form, So I Have To Get An Email Back From Them Then Book Into The Welcome Session Or I Can Book The Welcome Session Right Now???
i think you can straight away. i applied a couple of weeks ago and heard nothing back. i emailed them and they are like you have been signed up, just pick a welcome session time.

so i think you can do it now. im going in october :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)