• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is this plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Long story short, using someone else's idea and " calling " it your own is plagiarizing.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
you can use the idea (pfft as if anyone would know), but if you copy it word for word or try to reword a sentence here and there then technically it is plagiarism. Don't plagiarise or the only award you'll be getting is an N AWARD.
Ummm...actually, copying the idea, words, sentences and paraphrasing are all forms of plagiarism and you deserve 0 for the task of you do it. However, I'd say that 99% of the state plagiarize if copying words counts (even ideas)...

ahdil33

HSC
It's plagiarism, but would you get caught? 99% chance you wouldn't. Not that that matters anyway :p

asdfqwerty

HSC
there's no such thing as an 'original' idea, but if u copy something word for word then its considered plagiarism because it is someones work. if u like a simile or a technique u found in someones work then feel free manipulate it in ur creative if u think it helps to convey ur idea (using someones technique isnt plagiarism). im sure that there are many similar creative ideas for belonging in the state because a lot of people use films/plays/novels etc. as an inspiration because not many people can think if a random idea on the spot. for example, i used the lives of others as an inspiration and the motif of 'the cold' that i got from the spy who came in from the cold to help convey my ideas.

kenkap

HSC
my essay had a small amount of stolen analysis which i paraphrased...then i scanned the essay and and it said 0% plagiarism....is this ok?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Where or how do you get your essay checked for % plagiarism?

deswa1

HSC
Where or how do you get your essay checked for % plagiarism?
There's a thing called turnitin that I think a lot of uni's use but honestly you'd know yourself if you plagiarised. If you wrote it yourself then don't worry about % counts etc because there's no way you would have written the exact same thing as someone else

kenkap

HSC
There's a thing called turnitin that I think a lot of uni's use but honestly you'd know yourself if you plagiarised. If you wrote it yourself then don't worry about % counts etc because there's no way you would have written the exact same thing as someone else
i think turnitin costs money...but i downloaded this free software called viper which is pretty good IMO...like i scanned my essay and and turned out 30 words were plagiarised, it turned out being the text title and quotes which is alright..they even highlight the plagiarised phrases for you!

Newbit

HSC
Is it plagiarism if I used someone else's definition of belonging but changed a couple of words and added quote marks?

2xL

HSC
Yes...but will you get caught.. probably not. Up to you.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
my essay had a small amount of stolen analysis which i paraphrased...then i scanned the essay and and it said 0% plagiarism....is this ok?
The term in bold: it should make it obvious that what you're doing is plagiarising.

Is it plagiarism if I used someone else's definition of belonging but changed a couple of words and added quote marks?
You can't change words and add quotes marks, because what your quoting is not longer the original quote. You have to use the real things, or part of it, in quotation marks; or write something else. And the source can only be an high level academic one e.g. you can't use your friends definition and just put quotation marks around it.

alexobern

HSC
rule of thumb, if you have to ask yourself "is this plagiarism?" 9 times out of 10, yes, yes it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)