Is tutoring the secret to success HSC? (1 Viewer)

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
Agree with some things, don't agree with others.

-Some people don't have the discipline to regulate their own study. If their parents, or even themselves, sign up for tutoring then they will have more obligations to fulfill, hence will study more. This helps them reach their potential.

-Possibly, their school teachers cannot teach well, are stupid, don't answer questions or whatever. Students pay for a quality tutor do perform the tasks their school teacher does not. By the way, this obviously is not the case if the tutor sucks.

Tutoring works n some situations, but not in others.

Therefore, I recommend tutoring for:
-students who believe they will perform with their full potential under tutoring
-students who have a bad teacher

I do not recommed tutoring for:
-students who alreayd have the aptitude to direc ttheir own learning. for them, performing better is only an application of further effrot on their behalf.

By no means is tutoring the 'secret to hsc success'. its just another tool, like good books and the internet.

HSC
Completely disagree. If you absolutely suck at English and can't read or write or use grammar, then yeah you should get an English tutor. Otherwise just do the work - the English course is stuffed anyway so it's not like it'll make it any less stuffed for you to have extra work. You'd probably end up hating it more than everyone else.
yeh that's what i meant

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
No.

Non-stop study and questions to test your knowledge is the secret.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Agree with some things, don't agree with others.

-Some people don't have the discipline to regulate their own study. If their parents, or even themselves, sign up for tutoring then they will have more obligations to fulfill, hence will study more. This helps them reach their potential.
and how will they survive uni where noone gives a fuck what you do and noone pushes you? if you require tutoring to learn or get any work done, don't come to uni - you won't survive.
-Possibly, their school teachers cannot teach well, are stupid, don't answer questions or whatever. Students pay for a quality tutor do perform the tasks their school teacher does not. By the way, this obviously is not the case if the tutor sucks.
tough shit, self teach from the textbook.

i did have tutoring for yr 12 4unit math for the first 2-3 topics but then realised i didn't really need it.

self directed learning ftw

K

khorne

and how will they survive uni where noone gives a fuck what you do and noone pushes you? if you require tutoring to learn or get any work done, don't come to uni - you won't survive.
But how will they rote learn and memorise their essays!

Got2Kno91

HSC
Tutors are good for a subjects that require a lot of explanation rather than self study, especially if you suck at it(for me, Adv. Math). I saw a tutor for Math, helped a bit, but not enough. It was my fault though, I didn't use the tutor to full advantage. I dropped it in the end.

Ragib

HSC
Generally i guess : If you can motivate yourself to work hard on your own, then you don't need tutoring but some 1 hour a week tutors can help you learn how to shape your answers the syllabus requires that school can't always give you as good.

If you can't motivate yourself - full blown coaching colleges, Matrix, Talent100, PreUni, Shore, something. They'll force you to do their work, and you learn. Amazing huh.

Huge waste of money considering you could just motivate yourself. But Yeah.

sinophile

HSC
N/A

tough shit, self teach from the textbook.

i did have tutoring for yr 12 4unit math for the first 2-3 topics but then realised i didn't really need it.

self directed learning ftw
1. I agree- they may probably not survive uni. However, without the mark boost from tutoring, they may have never gone to university in the first place. Getting the marks for uni, then having a try as to whether you can survive there is far better than not making it at all. Plus, some people will not go to uni after high school.

2. As I said earlier in my post (which you quoted out of context), some students do not have the discipline or the drive to direct their own self-study. If they were faced with the problem of a crap schoolteacher, then I would say going with a tutor is far less risky than hitting the books alone and hoping your attitude towards studying will change.

I don't appreciate your less-than-normal-intelligence in that post, especially since i've seen you argue so intelligently in the past.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
1. I agree- they may probably not survive uni. However, without the mark boost from tutoring, they may have never gone to university in the first place. Getting the marks for uni, then having a try as to whether you can survive there is far better than not making it at all. Plus, some people will not go to uni after high school.
oh believe me, surviving at uni is by far worse than not making it in at all.

you waste time AND money (500+ a subject). and if kids aren't going to uni after high school, why even get a tutor? such a waste of money.
2. As I said earlier in my post (which you quoted out of context), some students do not have the discipline or the drive to direct their own self-study. If they were faced with the problem of a crap schoolteacher, then I would say going with a tutor is far less risky than hitting the books alone and hoping your attitude towards studying will change.
i think you fail to realise that everything changes in uni.

shit lecturer? shit tutor? tough luck, learn it yourself. noone is there to give you external motivation, only you yourself can provide that motivation.

Tranasonic

Audiophile
HSC
To get good marks, you just have to fucking sit down, study and do the work given to you. Teachers are always willing to help you out and like to help out more if they that you have grinded over a hard question. Also make summaries of the course, dot points ect. And whenever you are competent with a part of work, whether it be Integration by Parts in MX2 or Projectile Motion in Physics, do HSC past paper question on them. By the time you get up the HSC exam period, you will have done tonnes of questions and memorized all your summaries. Pretty Simple, but requires work.

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
oh believe me, surviving at uni is by far worse than not making it in at all.

you waste time AND money (500+ a subject). and if kids aren't going to uni after high school, why even get a tutor? such a waste of money.

i think you fail to realise that everything changes in uni.

shit lecturer? shit tutor? tough luck, learn it yourself. noone is there to give you external motivation, only you yourself can provide that motivation.
-I think we both agree that at uni, its sink or swim. Both the students who had tutoring AND students who self-taught will fail. Basically, its a calculated risk where you could either fail with a large debt or end up with a useful degree.

I hate to strawman, but I should add that many students go to tutoring because they want to end up doing X job or learn X thing, and can only do so at uni. If they don't get the sufficient marks, then say goodbye to their dreams. Failing would indeed really, really suck, but at least they tried (versus not getting the required ATAR and having no chance of getting the goal). Students who go to tutoring with the intentiion of increasing their chance to go to uni acknowledge the risks involved. Hopefully their goal, and the threat of losing huge amounts of money will give them the kick-in-the-arse to get studying.

If they fail then its their own damn problem, and they know they've got themselves into it for the chance to get the goal.

-Students might be going to TAFE or some sort of private college. You're right that its mostly a 'waste of money' to go tutoring for these things. Possibly, these students might be going to tutor just to boost their marks and have the option to go the uni, or they might just suck so much that they need that mark boost. Not all students going to tutoring are gunning for a 99+ UAI y'know.

meh.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
It looks like tommykins can't be fucked arguing against me lol

smart boy, smart boy

The Engineer

HSC
Everyone learns differently. I never had a tutor, but i know people who have and it helped them heaps. I prefer to sit down with my mates and discuss the work - more fun that way. The best thing to do would be to take a few tutoring lessons, see if you like it and if you think it will help, then make the decision yourself. Good luck!

nagina1

HSC
thank you peoplessss for the help !!!
i got tutor for bio and an successful tutor for english just to read essays and mark and freee because shes my friend ...ty again
and a way of me learning is group tutoring, i cnt be kept motivated for long if iam alone !!!!

and if any of u's knoe alpha omega tutoring...what rank would you give it out of 10
tnx
=) =) =)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
thank you peoplessss for the help !!!
i got tutor for bio and an successful tutor for english just to read essays and mark and freee because shes my friend ...ty again
and a way of me learning is group tutoring, i cnt be kept motivated for long if iam alone !!!!

and if any of u's knoe alpha omega tutoring...what rank would you give it out of 10
tnx
=) =) =)
Tutoring Reviews - Bored of Studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)