Is tutoring the secret to success HSC? (1 Viewer)

JJ_Lin

HSC
Hi!
I am currently in year 10. And seeing some of my friends are going nuts in studying with tutors and started wondering should I do the same.
First is that I am not very sure what I will be studying with tutors. so could someone tell me what is in it if you do go tutor?:p

Would it be better if I just buy HEAPS of books and study myself and throw whatever question I don't know to my school teachers?

Thanks!:)
Good luck with your HSC!

K

khorne

Protip 1: Your integral sucks, you're not integrating anything! You just have the upper and lower limits!

Protip2: You can self learn, tutoring is not the secret to success, but hard work is.

Finx

HSC
I think if you're having trouble with a particular subject, tutoring would be necessary. If you really want a 99+ ATAR, then I think tutoring in at least English and another subject would be essential. James Ruse students have mandatory tutoring after school, plus their work environment, which is why they do so well I think..

jet

Banned
HSC
To put it simply, no.

To put it in a complicated fashion, it is good for some people, not for others. You need to make an informed decision about whether tutoring is/is not good for you. There'd be an extra time commitment etc. when you might find it easier going over concepts on your own. There are textbooks and internet resources e.g. this forum and the resources page as well as NSW HSC Online. If you think you are desperately in need of help from another person (which might be the case looking at the integral in your sig - where's the integrand? lol) then get a tutor.

Don't forget you can always 'try before you buy'. Try it out, if you don't like it, drop.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
u should go tutoring if u think it will help u. for some ppl, it will help. for others, it won't.
i went for a few terms, and kept switching tutors because i found every one of them crap. i think i work better without tutoring.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I think if you're having trouble with a particular subject, tutoring would be necessary. If you really want a 99+ ATAR, then I think tutoring in at least English and another subject would be essential. James Ruse students have mandatory tutoring after school, plus their work environment, which is why they do so well I think..
I don't have either and i really want 99+ ATAR as do many people i know :p

You only need tutoring if:
A/ You have a really crap teacher and can't be bothered teaching yourself
B/ You don't understand your teacher and self teaching doesn't work
C/ You're lazy and need someone to force you to do work
D/ You're paranoid and want someone experienced to make sure you're learning everything correctly

Otherwise, you don't need a tutor :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
most ppl fall into the trap of thinking that they're disadvantaged if they don't get a tutor, because other people have one.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Depends. But if you do get one, you need a good one [stating the obvious].

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Tutoring is okay useful. IT's just so expensive.

People who goes tutoring tends to also be hardworking. Sometimes people mistaken that good marks is caused by the former rather than the latter.
Pros about tutoring is that you usually learn ahead and so you have more time to absord the materials than everyone else (whereas your method....teachers wouldn't answer you unless it has already been taught)...and sometime they give good materials, it's also a PLUS for procrastinators who cant study alone.
The cons are the $$$ sucking nature of tutors.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
its not a secret. its a known fact.

but of course, you can do well without tutoring. Tutorings just one way.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not necessarily. Different students have different needs. If you require tutoring, that's fine - if you don't, that's fine as well. If you wanna see, I'd say I'm doing decently at school, but Tim Siu who goes to my school is doing equally well. I go to tutoring, and he doesn't.

q3thefish

HSC
My fellow bros and homies. Tutoring is the shizbiz - just check out my sig, that just screams crazy amounts of tutoring.

Even geniuses go to tutoring lol just check out that Giles Gardam kid from my school last year, he was so gg.

Lol nah tbh, tutoring is not essentially the way to go. If you can keep your ass to your seat and your face to your work, then you do not need tutoring.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I probably could have benefited from tutoring in English and Physics (English because I find it difficult, Physics because my teacher's a little eccentric, in that he doesn't tend to teach), but seeing as how I go to a private school, I felt a little uncomfortable asking for it...

Most of my friends get tutored though... can't really think of one that doesn't get tutored in at least one area.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Tutoring is a confidence thing for me. It's extra reassurance that if I can't grasp a concept that my teacher is explaining, there's someone else that I can always go to that can explain it in a different way. With a tutor, you must remember that they're expensive so don't feel guilty about hitting them with an endless stream of questions.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
If you have good teachers, utilise them. They can be more handy than tutors (especially if they are HSC markers)
If you have bad teachers.. Even self teaching has its limits

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)