Is tutoring the secret to success HSC? (1 Viewer)

icecubeX

HSC
I don't think it's necessary, seriously i see some people go to tutor and their marks are exactly the same. =/
I think it the amount of work you put into study more than anything else.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
Tutoring is not something i asked for, its something my parents committed toward my education.
Its because i was never really focused in school, it affected my learning a lot. I was diagnosed with adhd in year 9, so a lot of work i was taught didn't get through into my head.
I have massive regrets now, and i wish that i worked a lot harder and was more focused on school..
I used to get 40% - 50% in every subject.. since i've been diagnosed, i've been working a lot harder.. and have matured mentally (since i didn't really think about how much effort my parents put into my education til about now)
anyways, my reports and marks are getting a lot better now. i'm getting around 80's now and my paediatrician thinks i have improved a lot since being diagnosed with adhd.
but i don't think ill be able to do 3u math or 3u english.. i really really did wish i concentrated more + worked more in year 9.. and all the years before that..

HSC
nope...
ive never had a tutor in my life and i ended up beating kids with tutors.
i often wondered what it'd be like to have a tutor though lol

untouchablecuz

HSC
yes tutoring is the secret to success in the HSC

NB: i hope to tutor after hsc

nagina1

HSC
i'm gonna go in year 12next term (4) , and i want to get a tutor but not sure which tutor is good... does anyone know a good tutor and not sure if getting a tutor for history or legal studiess would help.. can someone plezzzzzzzzzzz tell e an reply to this post or sndin privateee
thx

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
No.
It is a waste of money to go tutoring and I was proof that tutoring doesn't work because I outperformed friends and others around who actually wasted hours every week on tutoring.

Same. Can you believe people get tutored for Art theory? ...LOL

tku336

HSC
Tutoring at our school is used far more by the bottom 50 than the top 50.

dynan

HSC
i did tutoring for advanced maths in year 11 because i was like 5th last
i didnt find it much help. I did group tutoring with about 8 other people, all from different schools at different stages of the course

i dropped the tutoring, dropped advanced maths and i finished 1st in general on 96. Best choice i made in year 12
but its a personal thing, up to you

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
James Ruse students have mandatory tutoring after school, plus their work environment, which is why they do so well I think..
LOLWTH. No, at Ruse tutoring is not mandatory. Yes, a lot of people do tutoring anyway, and buggered if I know why cause they're already smart. I don't do tutoring myself- it just seems like a lot more unneccessary work for me. Maybe if I was motivated I might read ahead but most of the time I can't be stuffed. So no, I don't think it's neccessary, but I don't have any major moral objections to it either.

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
No.
It is a waste of money to go tutoring and I was proof that tutoring doesn't work because I outperformed friends and others around who actually wasted hours every week on tutoring.
No, that is fucking bullshit some people don't have the same willpower as you and need articificial injections to bolster their knowledge and discipline

Monsterman

HSC
I don't even know what is intergral, I just like the little S symbol:mad1:
Why do you hate me for this?:mad1:
Looks like you are behind already. get tutoring. It helps you get ahead if your school teaches slow. i go to some shit school which is ranked like 150 in the state.. and almost everyone has tutoring.. It helps because it keeps you back on track.. and it would help you get ahead of everyone.. you can learn the same thing twice.. so it goes into your brain more.. you could say. That what i learnt for having a maths and chem/phys tutor... it helps but you need to put in some of your own effort into working on it..

For english tutoring.. i just recommend just getting a tutor to read your essays, that is if your english teacher at school does their job then they would be able to get some concepts into your head.. and then you just have to word it correctly and make it sound smart.. that is all. you can stop going to them near the hsc because you should be set by then...

LordPc

HSC
No, that is fucking bullshit some people don't have the same willpower as you and need articificial injections to bolster their knowledge and discipline
why do you have to pay money to do work you should be doing in the first place?

you should be getting your teachers to mark essays and any other work your tutor is marking. firstly because they (usually) know more than your tutor. secondly, it shows the teacher you are trying which gets you sympathy marks in assignments (if you do crap) and bonus marks if you do well (they'll look on your work positively).

Im with Uncle, I never got tutoring and I did better than people that did get tutoring. tutoring =/= guarantee success. and there is nothing that a tutor can do for you that hard work couldnt. the teachers are at school, the textbooks are at the library. where do you think your tutor got their knowledge from?

Monsterman

HSC
why do you have to pay money to do work you should be doing in the first place?

you should be getting your teachers to mark essays and any other work your tutor is marking. firstly because they (usually) know more than your tutor. secondly, it shows the teacher you are trying which gets you sympathy marks in assignments (if you do crap) and bonus marks if you do well (they'll look on your work positively).

Im with Uncle, I never got tutoring and I did better than people that did get tutoring. tutoring =/= guarantee success. and there is nothing that a tutor can do for you that hard work couldnt. the teachers are at school, the textbooks are at the library. where do you think your tutor got their knowledge from?
Sometimes teachers cant mark essays properly.. I got my tutor and 2 teachers to mark my essays for english.. but the problem with the teachers at my school marking my essays is that they couldnt say whether you wrote something good for drafts cause they are marking it... i mean.. if you gave in a draft.. and gave a mark then obviously after 10 tries you'll get 15/15.... this i can do with my tutor... and also my teachers dont usually check grammar they just skim read it to look at the content to get the gist of it to see whether you are going in the right direction..

and this is similar for maths.. if you dont get it then you can ask the teacher for help right? but if you still dont get it.. sometimes.. the teacher may just give up.. i've seen in some circumstances.. like the teacher just says.. you just better hope that it doesnt come out in the hsc.. and also for 4unit maths.. i would recommend it highly.. that people get tutoring mainly because there's alot of crap that is taught and sometimes schools dont finish the course.. like for my school.. we just made it to inequalities on the last day of school.. there were only 4 people in my class on that day out of.. 20.. so yea.. how are they going to learn inequalities? tutoring..? also in my opinion.. my tutors explained things much better than my actual school teachers

Rage01

HSC
The time it takes to go to and from tutoring could be better spent studying

izzy88

HSC
Tutoring is not the secret to success in the HSC. As someone said earlier, consistency and hard work will help you a lot more.

For some people tutoring might be useful/helpful, but you certainly do not need it to do well.

I never had any tutoring and I got 99.6. Most of the people who got over 99 at my school didn't have tutoring either.

LordPc

HSC
Sometimes teachers cant mark essays properly.. I got my tutor and 2 teachers to mark my essays for english.. but the problem with the teachers at my school marking my essays is that they couldnt say whether you wrote something good for drafts cause they are marking it... i mean.. if you gave in a draft.. and gave a mark then obviously after 10 tries you'll get 15/15.... this i can do with my tutor... and also my teachers dont usually check grammar they just skim read it to look at the content to get the gist of it to see whether you are going in the right direction..
other way around. this you can do with your teacher.

if you want your teacher to check grammar and all that tell them.

[/quote]and this is similar for maths.. if you dont get it then you can ask the teacher for help right? but if you still dont get it.. sometimes.. the teacher may just give up.. i've seen in some circumstances.. like the teacher just says.. you just better hope that it doesnt come out in the hsc.. and also for 4unit maths.. i would recommend it highly.. that people get tutoring mainly because there's alot of crap that is taught [/quote]

if you dont understand new material in math, you raise your hand and say "I dont understand that line". that is the proper learning process. you straighten out your problems as they arise, you dont ask for help at the end cause if you dont understand what is happening in the middle of class, then you wont understand anything after than, so you missed half a class.

im not saying that tutoring doesnt resolve these issues, its just that there are far easier solutions available

sometimes schools dont finish the course.. like for my school.. we just made it to inequalities on the last day of school.. there were only 4 people in my class on that day out of.. 20.. so yea.. how are they going to learn inequalities? tutoring..? also in my opinion.. my tutors explained things much better than my actual school teachers
the 16/20 people that didnt show up are what we call "idiots". they were lazy and didnt come to class and so they didnt learn inequalities. tutoring isnt the solution, coming to class is the solution.

your not actually presenting any advantages of tutoring. all you are doing is showing how laziness can be remedied with tutoring

your last sentece is the only thing that is valid. some teachers cant explain that well, other teachers can. (my math teacher could explain the same thing in a few different ways, so if you didnt understand one way, you might understand another way). this is a case by case thing

Tutoring is not the secret to success in the HSC. As someone said earlier, consistency and hard work will help you a lot more.

For some people tutoring might be useful/helpful, but you certainly do not need it to do well.

I never had any tutoring and I got 99.6. Most of the people who got over 99 at my school didn't have tutoring either.
exactly.

the thing is, that at the end of the day, after the hsc is done and you go and do whatever it is that you want to do in life, tutoring wont help you then. a tutor can only help you in the hsc, but hard work and persistence will help you for the rest of your life.

RuffWoof

HSC
The success of tutoring depends on how well you use the additional resources provided and how good the tutor actually is. From my experience, my tutors saved me a lot of time and stress being HSC markers. I think my study hours were literally cut in half to achieve the same result had I not gotten a tutor.

However, tutors take away your sense independence which can be deterimental in university and later in life as I found everything being spoon-fed (e.g. prepared essays by tutors, heavily edited assignments and specific choice of exam-style math questions). All that was required of me was just raw persistence and natural intuition to apply myself to the resources they gave me. I didn't need to think for myself in terms of where to go for research, getting stats, deciphering through piles and piles of notes or deciding what is good and bad data. All this was done by tutors.

The university entry system in NSW and Australia is set up in such a way that emphasises everything on exam performance through the HSC. So it would be natural for people to do whatever is possible (i.e. get a tutor) to get into their desired course the quick way, albeit if students lose the sense of academic independence.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)