Is University overrated these days? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Still its a pretty stupid argument.

No one gives a shit where your undergrad psych degree comes from.

IF you do honours or a post-grad diploma (at a range of other unis) then you CAN become a conditionally registered psychologist- hence it leads to a profession.

Most psychologists, irrespective of where their undergrad is from, will have postgrad training in the form of competitive Masters/PhD from well-respected instituions.

These are the degrees that set them up for a career, these are the degrees that matter.

At the end of the day, no one will give a shit if they came from UWS or USYD at the undergrad level, as they (assuming they are any good) will have a PhD or at minimum masters.

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A

spence

HSC
lol you must have server mental handicaps. That site shows that only a B. Psychology (or honors) is recognized, not the B.Arts (psychology).
Further evidence to suggest that UWS apologists are in fact illiterate.
3-Year sequence of study

a) APAC accredited courses in psychology of three years' duration. These courses must be supplemented by a fourth year of study before students are eligible to enrol in an APAC accredited Masters or Doctoral program:

University of Western Sydney
Home | University of Western Sydney (UWS) - Bachelor of Arts

4th Year Courses

APAC accredited fourth-year courses in psychology comprising one-year equivalent of study:

University of Western Sydney
Home | University of Western Sydney (UWS) - Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
- Postgraduate Diploma of Psychology

As I said, if you do honours, it doesn't matter what your degree is called it is still accredited

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
*severe buddy, can you read your own post?

Last edited:

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
Why are you bringing up diplomas and honors..they're extra courses you moron.

The fundamental question is why is the B.Arts (psychology) at U-Syd is recognized but the B.Arts (psychology) at UWs not.
I tell you why, because UWS is in fact a TAFE, and employers know it's graduates are mostly criminals and half wits. that's why.

(and schtrevey, good to see you corrected you own spelling of severe above)

rx34

HSC
Initially I disliked Omar, but after reading all his posts, it now seems he makes 'some' controversial yet valid points.

spence

HSC
Why are you bringing up diplomas and honors..they're extra courses you moron.

The fundamental question is why is the B.Arts (psychology) at U-Syd is recognized but the B.Arts (psychology) at UWs not.
I tell you why, because UWS is in fact a TAFE, and employers know it's graduates are mostly criminals and half wits. that's why.

(and schtrevey, good to see you corrected you own spelling of severe above)
That's because USyd's BA(Psych) has a 4th year built in, but you still have to make it into honours and do the honours year to be accreditted. So its the same thing as UWS. And honours isn't an extra course, its an extra year on top of a course. Dumbshit

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Yeah but those post grad programs are insanely difficult to get accepted into as there are only a limited places because there are clinical internship requirmens.
It's also difficult to get into hons at USYD, the BA student is NOT guarranteed a position.

Therefore, the BA (psych) at USYD and BA at UWS are the same degree. Both require competitive marks to enter the honours year.

The main difference is at USYD i'm assuming has the 4th yr "built in" IF a certain average mark is attained through the program (eg- D average in second/third yr).

I'm imagining that such requirements would prob exist for the BA student at UWS in order to get into honours.

There is no difference in reality.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
It would be overrated in the past. Since one could get a job without a degree easily.

belindyjj

HSC
These days people are more surprised if you don't go to university. The only subject I was good at in school was English, and I didn't wanna fork over 25k to study books in uni I could just read myself. Meh. Maybe one day I'll go but I seriously doubt it.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Hey guys, I'm going to CSU next year, is this a good uni?

John555

HSC
Personally I think getting a bachelors degree today is like getting a high school diploma back then. Its socially expected of you. And the lower tier Universities with their low entry requirements (no offense to anyone) is the main driving force behind this, in my humble opinion.

Although I do agree that these days its what course and uni you go as opposed to going to uni in general. ie. a law/med degree from USyd/UNSW will still impress people.

I remember when my friend said he was doing commerce at Monash my dad was like "meh" but when another said he was doing law at Monash my dad instantly had the admiring look on his face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)