Is year 11 and 12 chemistry hard? (1 Viewer)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Prelim (preliminary) refers to year 11
HSC refers to year 12

SaraJayne

HSC
Also, do you think i should do chemistry if i get B's and high B's in science? Or do i need to be like, top of the class and super dooper smart?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Well...thats confusing..is that the American?
I dunno what you mean

They are just what they name the years
You got your Preliminary year which as I said is year 11
Then you got your HSC year which is year 12

Preliminary definition: "An action or event preceding or preparing for something fuller or more important."

Johnny1995

HSC
Year 11 chem is more difficult than year 12. But year 12 chem is more applicable and enjoyable. Acidic environment, one part of monitoring and management and some parts of industrial chem require understanding, the rest is pure memorisation.

SaraJayne

HSC
Do you think i should do chemistry if i get B's and high B's in science? Or do i need to be like, top of the class and super dooper smart?
Sorry for all the questions!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Do you think i should do chemistry if i get B's and high B's in science? Or do i need to be like, top of the class and super dooper smart?
Sorry for all the questions!
B's are fine :p
Year 10 doesn't determine how well you'll do in the HSC

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm not really a science person, I've clearly been much better at humanities since I started school. Yet thus far I really live chemistry and it's actually quite easy, I never thought I'd be topping my class in a science but I get chemistry. If you think you would like it, choose it. You can always drop or change but the last thing you want is to spend the next two years wishing you had a bit of faith in yourself.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you think it's interesting, it's definitely worth trying out.

My dad tried to convince me not to do chemistry when I was in year 10 because it's too hard, in my head, I felt he just didn't know about it - turn out that it was my favourite subject in high school and favourite subject at uni.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No subjects are hard if one applies effort and works hard.

liz2814

HSC
If you want to do anything at uni that is to do with science definately do chem. It helps soo much with uni science, I just had my uni chem exam today and theres no way that I would have been able to do chem if i hadn't done HSC chem. And its fine - year 11 chem is really boring but year 12 chem is fun when you get it. I got tutoring for it last year which helped a lot, but its a lot easier than university chemistry haha, I think its easy now looking back on it :)

HSC
Year 11 chem is more difficult than year 12. But year 12 chem is more applicable and enjoyable. Acidic environment, one part of monitoring and management and some parts of industrial chem require understanding, the rest is pure memorisation.
Which part of chemical monitoring and management? I remember that module and production of materials being pretty much based on memorising.

Also, to OP, like everyone else said, Year 11 Chem is harder than Year 12. (The lattice crap still gives me nightmares...*war flashbacks*). I recommend you do try it out since you sound really interested in it, but if you're really unsure about it ask your science teacher; she/he can give you the best personal advice, really.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well if you enjoy it then do the subject as you will be more inclined to study the subject (i mostly studied subjects which I enjoyed, and neglected the ones which I didn't - bad decision but I still did it)

tbh I found year 11 chemistry more difficult than year 12 chemistry, and at times it was boring, whereas I found most of year 12 pretty easy and interesting.

It's definitely not difficult if you keep on top of it, only when you cram will it become difficult.

Year 11 chemistry is basically what chemistry is and year 12 chemistry is what chemistry is used for

Btw PE, chem and bio is a really good combination :) - even though I didn't do PE i wish I had
+15 (From all my science teachers and my chemistry class)

SaraJayne

HSC
Thank you guys! I have put in my subject selection for 11 and 12 and im going with Bio, Chemistry and HPE! Fingers crossed! Would maybe getting a chem tutor or something like that be a good idea or would it just be pathetic? Cause i really want to do well in this subject and i feel like i can handle the other subjects on my own. And normally my brother helps me with my science homework and his best friend always helps me too, but neither of them are doing chemistry so.. what do you think?

ashbash4210

HSC
I am in year 12 now and love chemistry its one of my favourite subjects. I dont find it hard, but I have topped it for the past two years. As long as you stay on top of it you will be completely fine :) I do bio too and they are a good combination, they often compliment and help eachother I recon go for it, especially since you say you're interested in it!

SaraJayne

HSC
Would getting a chem tutor be a good idea? Just or some extra help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)