• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is your course or UWS worth it? (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
well is it worth it???
i am doing a B Tech (IT Support)
you've probably heard about the scarcity of IT jobs, so what is your view?

i'd like to hear your opinions on your course, whether you picked on preference on subject or casue of jobs, like teaching and nursing has gotten so high UAI's (compared to last year) becasue of demand.

also i prob ask about UWS, and are you guy gonna transfer to another uni?
either becasue other uni's are more prestigeous or have better curriculum etc...
or gonna stay becasue other unis are more business like and care aobut money more, there are classes e.g. rich etc..
or becuase UWS is charging alot for fees,e.g. Dingo2004 has invoice = $400+ and more with the government cuts to funding...

just wanted to know... ;) :cool: :D or :argue:

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
My degree (B Policing) is the only one of its kind available in the state, so yes, it's worth it.

I actually transferred from a B Science degree at UNSW to UWS. Prestige is overrated in my opinion. As long as you're happy with your degree and your learning environment, a universitys name shouldn't really be that important.

Fees are a natural part of university life, as is your ever-increasing HECs bill and the cost of the other necessities. Everyone has to go through it.

I don't see why Dingo's invoice is that much when the UWS Fees Website states the Student Fees for full-time students is $316.80 a year.

memo

In my opinion IT isn't really worth it. Unless you love computers and wouldnt want to do anything else I suggest you steer clear of IT.

I have done 2 years of a Comp Sci degree at usyd and no its not worth it. About all uni has taught me was how to generate fibonacci using java and C. IT is a skill not something you can learn from textbooks. Getting a job in IT is very difficult and almost all requires experience (which most grads dont have) unless you manage to top your class or doing one of those advanced degrees chances are you will find it hard finding any IT work.

Although people say it would get better in years to come there really isn't any logical reason why it should.

peepee

loser.
HSC
to be honest, i don't know if it's worth it
i'm doing B Biological Science and i don't have much science knowledge at all.... i picked it because i wanted to something completely different to what i already know
i have a lot of knowledge in the tourism & hospitality areas, yet i did not attempt to enter any courses related to those areas...
i might be wasting my time and energy but yeah, in 3 weeks i'll decide if it's worth it lol

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
im doing a b.business and commerce part time. working full time. love it!

JRasnier

im doing b of information technology, and im going into i.t cause i simple love it, ive never cared about money, or about jobs...cause to meeh doesnt matter how shit the pay, how crap the job, if i love what im doing, then im doing the right thing...

i even pick computers over girlz sometimes, lolz i know its sad but its what i love...

im planning to do the b of information technology for one year, then transfer to uts into one of there b of comp science in information technology...or i think thats the name if i remember correctly, because of one curriculm, two facilities, as im one of those ppl that need stuff exact right to learn, i cant learn in 40 degree heat and sweating like hell, just aint possible for meeh (aint saying its gonna happen at uws, was just example), and three prestigious (if i was able to do anything, i would do M.I.T, in usa, i hear it so often it has to be a prestigious course/uni for i.t)

yeaha but if u love what u do, then there will always be a way for u to get a job, thats only if u love it, if u like hate waking up in the morning and say u hate this job, theres no way ur gonna move anywhere in that industry...

well my idea for uws to meeh is a stepping stone....to others it maybe the door way, but i see it as a stepping stone, towards the door way...

Last edited:

klh

HSC
sorry dingo2004, my mistake :)

coz i've been thinking transfering into another uni, but heard about how other uni's treat u like a customer than a student, unlike uws....

i like IT, i was the only subject that i had high marks in my senior year i.e. grade 11 & 12, but looking at job prospects for ecperience like at careerone and stuff, and there aint many jobs ( i found three, 2 needed experience and the other was a trainee position but all looked for a degree and programming stuff i didnt know yet. so considering positions, i am not sure, but i know that i love IT for some reason...

to peepee, i dunno...if i dont have any knowledge of something, i feel left behind from others and that makes me feel worse enough i cant study. if you wanted to transfer, you need to do 40 credit points with a better than credit average, so that will be hard doing a course tyou may fing out that u dont like....

memo

Go for it JRasnier I'm sure you will do very well. I thought I loved computers a few years back but realised now I was like probably most of the others and loved computer games.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
they look at your first year uni marks
and your UAI..
add them together and divide them by 2
LOL JRasnier you really need to get a uni mark of 100 to even have a chance to transfer to uts
LOL
coz your uai is gonna pull your nrsl mark down

santaslayer

HSC
a GPA of 6.5+ will be equivalent to a uai mark of 99.5 so if u get this then 99.5+ur uai/2= NRSL mark

ruski_gal

Originally posted by klh

i'd like to hear your opinions on your course, whether you picked on preference on subject or casue of jobs, like teaching and nursing has gotten so high UAI's (compared to last year) becasue of demand.
The nursing uai cutoff didnt change for c'town from last yr. It stayed at 64.00. All the other campuses went up though. SO lucky ctown was my first pref.

JRasnier

problem with meeh loving computers is that there is so much i wanna know about em, like i dont want u to just major in networking, but wanna major in everything even 3d graphics.....

and im certain ill get transferred...(sorry just always have a positive outlook)

i had a distinction average at tafe (i know that tafe is different, but if i done that without trying, i serzly didnt try, why couldnt i at uni)

Last edited:

JRasnier

i knowz, i alreadyplanned if i dont get in, ill try every semester, until i graduate and then try to get a postgraduate course at uts....also though, they actually take into consideration also personal statement and past work experience, so im gonna do voluntary work experience

ruski_gal

Originally posted by Dingo2004
whats so good about campbelltown
its on the outskirts of sydney
heahehae
well borderline of sydney actually
Its only a 30 min drive from my house. Thats whats so good about it, well for me anyway.
Plus the fact that its the major health science campus and so doing nursing there makes semse dont ya think??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)