• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is your course or UWS worth it? (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
thanks alot mel81!!!
i luv IT starting since in year 11 and it just was interesting to me.
i actually just want to be like a tech support person but move up into IT managing as well...

i've helped alotof people with computer problems, albeit basic but they like me becoz i explained clearly and was funny as well...

but rumours said a thousand times makes u think that it is true, u know wat i mean??

thanka for the reasssurance tho, i mite see if i can get into another tafe or get some good experience with customer service
another thing i'd like to ask u mel81, wot is the IT at c'town like?
i was thinking of changing into IT or Comp science later on if i changed my mind...

but i depends, reading over the course thingy, i think i mite go through with this since it outlines all the things i like to do in IT...lol

mel81

The IT course at campbelltown is pretty good, if you want to work in support than I wouldn't bother with computer science. I think your course is pretty good because you have the TAFE units and the prac experience plus its focused on IT support

klh

HSC
well, i am playing with linux and my friends said that if u wanna be like a unix admin, u should do system programming and stuff so looking through that brochure, it says that in Computer Science as a major and also in computing.

i was wondering, since u are yr 2 student, could u explain wot system analysis and design is? is it related to system programming?

in IT support, my majors are like e business, web development and system analysis and design, and none that i really like...

thanks.. and do u know of anyone willing to sell any of their old books?

sorry, but ive got alot to ask...
cheers!!

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
if u wanna do systems programming then you should transfer to B Computer Sciece or B Computing and Major in Systems Programming
coz B Technology (IT Support) has No Programming in it !!!!
LOL

mel81

Systems Analysis and Design isn't programming its the thing you do before the programming, Determine what type of system is needed (analysis) and then design the system (design).

Systems analysis is the process of understanding and specifying in detail what the information system should do.

System design is the process of specifying in detail how the many components of the information system should be physically implemented.

Systems Analysts are paid extremly well but they have to be good at there jobs.

Anyway even if you wanted to be a unix admin you still dont need the comp science degree because you need a few years of unix experience before you'd get an admin role but you can do the systems programming major in the bachelor of computing if thats the path you wanted to go.

mel81

Also after speaking with my course co-ordinator the software development major he said that the software development major is fairly similar to the systems programming major. Because I was thinking about doing systems programming but since I was a campbelltown student I needed permission to do the units that are only offered at penrith.

mel81

Originally posted by Dingo2004
systems programming is way harder than software development
Didn't say it wasn't just said that they were fairly similar. (According to my course co-ordinator)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)