ITT: We atheists discuss and shoot down Wicca, Jediism but not Christianity (1 Viewer)

Jack Burton

ninja of the world
HSC
jesus can levitate so hah!

but seriously why do we need religion im pretty sure if we weighed the good it has done against the bad then the bad would prolly outweigh it immensely

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
jesus can levitate so hah!

but seriously why do we need religion im pretty sure if we weighed the good it has done against the bad then the bad would prolly outweigh it immensely
eternal salvation trumps all, honey.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Whats wrong with jediism? it seems like a pretty beneign religion to me. Compared to the attrocities commited by most of the main religions, a bunch of guys wanting to walk around in robes from a science fiction movie is pretty harmless.

mazarati

HSC
The real difference is that whilst some agnostics consider that they just don't know whether there is a God, I flat out refuse to believe for one millisecond that there is a God and I flat out refuse to entertain the thought.

...don't you think that makes you as narrow-minded as religious fundamentalists, who refuse to entertain any thought of any religion apart from their own?

fliick

HSC
N/A
“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins.

And any sciences, ie invisibility, levitation etc cannot be proven to be absolute fact or impossible. The laws that govern physics are only as absolute as eachother.
I study paganism, one of the branches is wicca.
In it's defence it teaches equivalent exchange, and respect for anything and everything. The neo-wicca bullshit uses spells and potions that attracts alot of fluff.
But the foundations of practicing wicca, and the practice of most other pagan religions are centering mentally and sometimes physically and is the lesser constricting religion I know of.

POINT> Is there something wrong with a "path" that allows you to become a better person? WITHOUT limiting your rights as a human?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

fliick

HSC
N/A
Filthy empiricist. Christianity teaches you to be at peace with the world, your place in it and the people in it. This has nothing to do with scientific pursuits and both can/must happily coexist. The point is that man cannot live by bread alone and we humans, indeed all of creation, add up to more than the sum of all physical parts
This can be applied to all religions.
And what your saying is subjective. Everything is physical; how things are created, how they function, and the inevitable death. The emotions we feel as humans are mere "bread" created by electrochemical impulses that propagate a need to find something more.
The presence something "else" has never interfered with my, or anyone else's consumption of bread alone (Or all things physical) and so humanity lives on.
Growing fat on bread.
And what makes Dawkins so filthy ;P

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You call me subjective then go on to claim that the emotional/spiritual 'realm' is objective!
Your star will fall!

fliick

HSC
N/A
You call me subjective then go on to claim that the emotional/spiritual 'realm' is objective!
Your star will fall!
Never did I mention any spiritual belief was real, let alone express any interest in such a fictitious "realm".
I continue to claim emotions are merely electrochemical impulses. Physical.
And my interest and respect in Paganism is purely because of it's benefits mentally/physically. The prospects of mutual respect, emotional understanding and self control appeal to me.
Sorry if I seem contradictory, I'm being extremely brief about my points.

HailSatan

HSC
Your star will fall!
Are you some kind of supertroll or are you really as religious as you make out to be?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I am devout, guy. Knowing Christ has given me a peace and armour and happiness that I have never known before. I charge at the world with the confidence of a raging bull

fliick

HSC
N/A
I am devout, guy. Knowing Christ has given me a peace and armour and happiness that I have never known before. I charge at the world with the confidence of a raging bull
GOOD FOR YOU :)
Except the bull part some people prefer nice appreciative people.

Unsatisfied

HSC
lol at the complex eye argument

theres fucking shrimp in the great barrier reef that have way more complex eyes than us, our eyes are not that remarkable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)