James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
I'm not saying its right or wrong - but look at what you're arguing. You want bos to tell jrahs to stop teaching their students ahead of time, stick with what the syllabus says. That is the biggest tragedy that can happen. These students talents need to be nurtured not halted.
Oh Please!
So what your'e saying is that everybody who does not go to James Ruse doesn't desrve to compete against them and get a mark that they worked as hard for...but are disadvantaged because they didn't have enough time to study for it?
JR just needs to get over themselves

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
critiek said:
I understand your angle acmilan but there are rules in place that do not allow teachers to 'nurture' them so much. They already have an advantage with their school's scaling.

They can offer extra worksheets but devoting weeks at a time to HSC work and examining them is not on IMHO, there is a difference between exploiting these loopholes and actually doing some extension work out of curiosity.
They dont have advantages of scaling because of their school. Learn the system before you comment on these things.

HSC
middlemarch said:
Oh Please!
So what your'e saying is that everybody who does not go to James Ruse doesn't desrve to compete against them and get a mark that they worked as hard for...but are disadvantaged because they didn't have enough time to study for it?
JR just needs to get over themselves
If you're that cut up about not being able to learn things ahead of time, show some initiative and work ahead of your class, or lobby your school for changes to help you win the education race.

critiek

HSC
babydoll_ said:
Translation: I did not get into James Ruse and therefore criticise their teaching programme to make it look like I was too good for them.
I am perfectly content with my school and would not go into James Ruse even though it is closer to my home than the school I currently attend.

You're use of italics is so clever (sarcasm here, note.) but I do like to criticise thigs which are not allowed. No other school does this to the extent that James Ruse does to my knowledge.

critiek

HSC
acmilan said:
They dont have advantages of scaling because of their school. Learn the system before you comment on these things.
Have you heard of the bell curve? A student who gets 80 in JR will have a higher UAI then a student in another school who got the same mark after scaling and the performance of their year.

Did you know that already or is it new information?

ogmzergrush said:
If you're that cut up about not being able to learn things ahead of time, show some initiative and work ahead of your class, or lobby your school for changes to help you win the education race.
You have not read this entire thread, this is not about working ahead independantly. It is about being examined and specifically taught HSC only course work.

Last edited:

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
That's besides the point. There's a differebce between me borrowing a book on 4u maths and teaching myself the course and a teacher teaching their whole class ahead of time.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
critiek said:
Have you heard of the bell curve? A student who gets 80 in JR will have a higher UAI then a student in another school who got the same mark after scaling and the performance of their year.

Did you know that already or is it new information?
Do you mean a student who gets an aligned HSC mark of 80 in james ruse will have a higher scaled mark contributing to their aggregate mark than a student from another school?

HSC
middlemarch said:
That's besides the point. There's a differebce between me borrowing a book on 4u maths and teaching myself the course and a teacher teaching their whole class ahead of time.
See point B) then, complain about it to everyone who will listen (And then some), and help everyone understand how vitally important it is that you win the hsc prize.

critiek

HSC
acmilan said:
Do you mean a student who gets an aligned HSC mark of 80 in james ruse will have a higher scaled mark contributing to their aggregate mark than a student from another school?
If I went to Narrabeen Sports College and got the exact same marks (above average lets say) for the same subject as someone from JR then they will end up getting a higher UAI than me. Common Knowledge

nwatts

HSC
acmilan said:
I'm not saying its right or wrong - but look at what you're arguing. You want bos to tell jrahs to stop teaching their students ahead of time, stick with what the syllabus says. That is the biggest tragedy that can happen. These students talents need to be nurtured not halted.
No, sorry. There are ways to nurture talented students within the rules BOS has set. Extending the time in which students have to complete the HSC is, in my opinion, pretty blatant cheating and very unethical. Simply because if all schools allowed their students an extended time for the HSC, performance would rise across the board.

Making sure Ruse students complete their HSC in the same time everyone else does will not 'halt' their education - if anything, it'll force them to work harder!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
critiek said:
I don't see how the bell curve has anything to do with it, and acmilan would know so much more about normal distribution than you.

In the end, who cares. I'm sure I can study ahead as well, but there are so many things to do in life apart from studying and getting good marks.

critiek

HSC
Thank you again nwatts, good points brought up there.

I know for a fact that North Sydney B/G do not start Yr 12 work early until a couple of weeks into Term 4 when the actual HSC begins.

JR effectively has a year atleast over your average high school.

nwatts

HSC
critiek said:
If I went to Narrabeen Sports College and got the exact same marks (above average lets say) for the same subject as someone from JR then they will end up getting a higher UAI than me. Common Knowledge
This is because the standard of Ruse students is higher. Your marks may be equal, but your performance will not be. Come exam time, the Ruse student will beat you because they would have been marked harshly in internal assessments.

ie, a mark of 95 at Narrabeen Sports may only match the performance of a 65 at Ruse. Simply because the standard is higher. It isn't to do with BOS/UAC scaling.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
critiek said:
Slide Rule: Are you one of those gits who post without offering a rational explanation to what you're on about, instead you choose to post some vaguely related material without an explanation just so you cannot be proved wrong? That is weak, and so if your 'argument'. If you actually read the WP entry then you'll find it was irrelevant for us at an Educational Level not the Social, Economic Levels like it says in the article.
Please explain how education is not a social, political or economic entity?

I provided no argument for or against your own argument, yet you assume I am attacking you and have the gall to propose I do not back up my arguments (what were they, may I ask?).

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
See point B) then, complain about it to everyone who will listen (And then some), and help everyone understand how vitally important it is that you win the hsc prize.
Since your'e listening...
Me "lobbying" to get my school to study ahead would have no result. The teachers aren't allowed to do it and nobody else would want to. So basically, your saying "too bad coz you go to a school that cheats."

nwatts

HSC
critiek said:
Thank you again nwatts, good points brought up there.

I know for a fact that North Sydney B/G do not start Yr 12 work early until a couple of weeks into Term 4 when the actual HSC begins.

JR effectively has a year atleast over your average high school.
Exactly, and look how they perform! You'd wonder how Ruse would rate if their HSC year was the 4 months of other schools.

(and thanks for the kind words. :))

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I suggest you try to take the perspective of the top school.

Lets say you are a James Ruse student. Hardworking and smart ( usually ).

Your level of learning is much greater than most other students.

Would you be happy and content to be learning a year 9/10 syllabus while you have the capacity to learn more ?

Although they may not follow the Board of Studies syllabus, it's because they already have the knowledge of pretty much everything that is to be taught for that year.

Conversely, a school with extremely poor acedemic students also tend to have teachers that don't teach the syllabus. Rather, class involves a whole period of useless bludging and mucking around. Would you say it is unfair and that they are cheaters because the teachers don't teach the syllabus? The difference is James Ruse is teaching year 11/12 material, while the poorly acedemic isn't teaching the syllabus at all. Both of which are not following the official Board of Studies syllabus. I wouldn't call that 'cheating'.

As said before, James Ruse does not have 'special' scaling that makes them top evey year. Please refer to the technical arcana fora for more information about how the moderation process works.

Lastly, you can't expect that every school in NSW should be expected to strictly follow the board of studies rules in terms of teaching. If say James Ruse was forced to learn at the same rate as other schools, there wouldn't be any schools that specifically stand out. In my opinion, it's a good thing that it is known that these schools are the most acedemic and represent the elites of the state.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
critiek said:
Wrong. It's not common knowledge, it's common misconception.

critiek

HSC
Templar said:
I don't see how the bell curve has anything to do with it, and acmilan would know so much more about normal distribution than you.

In the end, who cares. I'm sure I can study ahead as well, but there are so many things to do in life apart from studying and getting good marks.
The bell curve (because of it's shape) make the best better and the worst even more worse. It's hard to explain but Nwatts had the correct idea.

Slide Rule: Then what is your reason for just posting an irrelevant link?

Like middlemarch I could approach my teachers during lunch and ask for extra work and ask for any tips on what I should be looking for in the news, papers and books but they are not allowed to teach me in class this information and examine it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)