• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
critiek said:
Why is it that James Ruse is the only school in the State that starts HSC and Prelim work way before they are allowed to by the BOS?

No other selective school does this, even the high ranking girl and boy schools play by the rules and only start the HSC course after Year 11 has officially finished.

If anyone has seen a James Ruse maths test, they are doing 3 unit work in year 9/10 and their exams are more difficult than any other school urely because they have worked so far ahead.

Officially the BOS does NOT allow this yet they cast a blind eye over their love child with the politicians and spin doctors who want a model school for NSW. We don't tell the other states that this 'model' school plays by their own set of rules.

I find what James Ruse is doing extremely selfish and stereotypical of their school mentality of "marks marks marks".

The BOS also have less than impressive contact 'details' which are probably siphoned straight into their spam folders or answering machines.

People think it's impossible to overcome James Ruses' high standard but their is talent in every school, except they work hard and have no life.

I say we should make some noise and get the BOS to rethink their special treatment policy. I propose that because of their unfair advantage over other schools they should have their scaling reduced because they already have and advantage over other students even before they cheat and do the HSC material behind everyone else's back.
look just becuase u didn't make it in, you don't have to cry over it. Look mate if you want to get a 100UAI like the breed at James Ruse, then just do your hsc again...and again....and again....u might get lucky. :)

HSC
middlemarch said:
Since your'e listening...
Me "lobbying" to get my school to study ahead would have no result. The teachers aren't allowed to do it and nobody else would want to. So basically, your saying "too bad coz you go to a school that cheats."
I'd imagine you mean "too bad coz you don't go to a school that cheats". Essentially, I guess that's exactly what I'm saying.

Seeing as Ruse is The Board of Studies' official Chosen institution, and the inequality is ingrained to the extent that you say it is, you're never going to see changes. Your school will never help you in your quest for educational supremacy, and because of Ruse's aforementioned Chosen status the Board will never stop them from doing so for their students. This leaves you with two options. Teach yourself as best you can in an effort to combat the vastly unfair system which places you at a distinct disadvantage in comparison to the kids over at Ruse who shit pure gold, or go to Ruse and become a chosen one yourself.

The short version of what I'm saying here is this: "What exactly do you hope to achieve by this thread?". I can understand that you're exceptionally bitter about being placed at such a HUGE disadvantage by the evil conspiracy between Ruse and the Board, in a series of assessments that are of life or death importance, but seriously, where is this going?

critiek

HSC
Zahid: What is wrong with you? why do you assume I even tried out for James Ruse? I got into my school of choice and have not looked back since. I appreciate making good friends as much as getting a good mark in my schooling.

playboy2njoy: Your point was disproven a long time ago...

I would like to get people to be aware of this fact and hopefully in the future certainly after I've finished the hsc they can begin to crack down on this type of behaviour. I plan to contact the BOS about this issue which screams favouritsm

Last edited:

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
awww sorry hun don't take offence. Yeah Ruse has some hot chicks.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
critiek said:
The bell curve (because of it's shape) make the best better and the worst even more worse. It's hard to explain but Nwatts had the correct idea.
You have no idea about normal distribution.

critiek

HSC
Draw 2 bell curves one small and one large and you will see what I mean. The middle is not affected but the above average will be stretched along the scale

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
I'd imagine you mean "too bad coz you don't go to a school that cheats". Essentially, I guess that's exactly what I'm saying.
I'm glad we agree then.
Personally, I think I'm doing fine with the pace at which our school goes at, but I wouldn't mind studying ahead if it does give me such a "HUGE" advantage.

And I guess the "purpose" is to debate whether this is fair or not. But it just eems that anybody who goes to JR finds it fair that they are "nurtured" and advantaged over others.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
critiek, I'm curious, if you were to suggest one of these, which would it be?

a) Bring James Ruse down to the level of every other average student of the state and teach them exactly and only the prescribed syllabus of their year.

b) Allow every school to teach ahead of the syllabus ( even the not so smart schools )

c) other - your suggestion.

edit: Guys, please do not resort to flaming, or this thread will have to be closed.

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
You are an idiot. Who the hell is the boardofstudies to hold back ANYONE who is a high-achiever? They cannot. If a student is good enough to skip ahead, so be it. You certainly display your ignorance well.
Why can't they simply work faster instead of skipping ahead?

edit: why can't the school work faster, not the individual.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I assume you meant increasing the standard deviation of the distribution. There is nothing wrong with the outliers experiencing a larger change than the interquartile range, this is perfectly normal in a normal distribution.

You're assuming that the best students are all from James Ruse, hence all will get inflated marks if somehow the standard deviation changes.

To Ragerunner's question: Let every student capable of learning ahead do so.

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
Ragerunner said:

a) Bring James Ruse down to the level of every other average student of the state and teach them exactly and only the prescribed syllabus of their year.

b) Allow every school to teach ahead of the syllabus ( even the not so smart schools )

edit: Guys, please do not resort to flaming, or this thread will have to be closed.
As far as I'm concerned, it doesnt matter if its a) or b)...as long as there is no favouritism.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Why can't they simply work faster instead of skipping ahead?
They don't skip ahead. They do work faster. They need to learn the course just like everyone else.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
seriosuly critiek even if you do contact the real BOS, what makes you think they will give a shit. As you can the see the majority of students have no problem with Ruse...so i don't think you will get very far...having said that, it's still upto you.

critiek

HSC
Ragerunner said:

I understand that James Ruse is a highly talented school with many bright minds but because they are the posterchildren for the BOS it does not mean that the have the right be have an advantage by having a significantly longer time to learn the same course as everyone else.

Sure many of them do harder subjects but that's not a reason for them to have a longer time to learn them.

I am not aware of the inner working of the BOS but I think option A would be a good start. Some may think that they are being held back, but how? They choose harder subjects which the BOS has set an appropriate syllabus for. However I think that this only becomes an issue in Senior school when competition is very real and it is important for all school to have an equal footing for the very important year ahead!

What are your thoughts ragerunner?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
To Ragerunner's question: Let every student capable of learning ahead do so.
Ok, sounds good, but what if a capable student is in a poorly acedemic school. A school cannot teach ahead because a few 'capable' students.

James Ruse and other top schools are allowed that exception because the majority of the students are capable of learning ahead, as thus, James Ruse does so. Teaches ahead.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesnt matter if its a) or b)...as long as there is no favouritism.
I can't see how this is favouritism. These top selective school specifically recruit acedemic students. As a result, the school as a whole is able to learn ahead without other people falling behind. Are you saying we should remove selective schools to ensure no school can be unfair?

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
zahid said:
seriosuly critiek even if you do contact the real BOS, what makes you think they will give a shit. As you can the see the majority of students have no problem with Ruse...so i don't think you will get very far...having said that, it's still upto you.
I wonder where the majority of students who don't care go to?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
critiek said:
I understand that James Ruse is a highly talented school with many bright minds but because they are the posterchildren for the BOS it does not mean that the have the right be have an advantage by having a significantly longer time to learn the same course as everyone else.

Sure many of them do harder subjects but that's not a reason for them to have a longer time to learn them.

I am not aware of the inner working of the BOS but I think option A would be a good start. Some may think that they are being held back, but how? They choose harder subjects which the BOS has set an appropriate syllabus for. However I think that this only becomes an issue in Senior school when competition is very real and it is important for all school to have an equal footing for the very important year ahead!

What are your thoughts ragerunner?
That's the thing, if BoS did set an appropriate syllabus for these students, they wouldnt need to accelerate them.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
they will cain you all in the externals if you insist on posting...build a bridge and struggle over it

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
Ragerunner said:
I can't see how this is favouritism. These top selective school specifically recruit acedemic students. As a result, the school as a whole is able to learn ahead without other people falling behind. Are you saying we should remove selective schools to ensure no school can be unfair?
Alright, I agree with you there
I go to a selective school myself and I can say that most of the students are capable of learning at a faster pace.
I'm sure there can be a middleground where a school that is has capable students can teach ahead just as JR does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)