James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Many schools around the state are "cheaters" then because they accelerate people. And acceleration is typically worse than making people learn ahead.

I have benefited myself from acceleration but I don't think it is "cheating" in any form.

People who argue about this and think Ruse people are cheaters, here is the message for you:
Just suck it up, and work harder. Stop making an excuse.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I dont think going beyond the course is cheating. In fact, this would be evidence of a determination and love of learning. People who don't go beyond the course are the people who should be railed against.

tango0o

HSC
hearsay..

this is bs. james ruse is full of innovative thinkers. why do u think so many students from james ruse enter international olympiads and walk away with gold/silver/bronze medals. now, you can't possibly argue that international olympiad worthy students are programmed thinkers.

furthermore, james ruse exams are hard to challenge the student which is the purpose of having a selective school in the first place. to be fair, they merely teach harder extensions of the board of studies syllabus. Moreover, the board of studies does not exist to smother the learning of capable students. the last time i checked, being an interested and keen student did not break any sort of legal policy, albeit, is an advantage i do admit. i'm sure there are hundreds of students out there that have read their hsc prescribed texts before the start of their hsc...OMG lets kill those heretic sons of bitches. crusades, much?

HSC
This thread's going no where, everyone's just repeating what's already been said with no conclusive answer, just the same points being raised again and again.

But hey, arguing is fun ay?

dp624

HSC
yeah +1 while i still can... lulz
thread is several years old as i've said

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
Many schools around the state are "cheaters" then because they accelerate people. And acceleration is typically worse than making people learn ahead.

I have benefited myself from acceleration but I don't think it is "cheating" in any form.

People who argue about this and think Ruse people are cheaters, here is the message for you:
Acceleration != being taught the HSC content during the Preliminary course of a subject. Being accelerated isn't cheating.

sinophile said:
I dont think going beyond the course is cheating. In fact, this would be evidence of a determination and love of learning. People who don't go beyond the course are the people who should be railed against.
Likewise, going beyond the course != being taught HSC content during the Preliminary course of a subject. Sure, go ahead and learn it yourself or get an outside tutor, but actually being taught at school is definately against the rules.

Get it right. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but the primary argument is that James Ruse guys are taught HSC content during Preliminary course - you people are mixing things up by thinking that it encompasses acceleration and going beyond the course in terms of knowledge, which it doesn't.

dp624

HSC
Continuum said:
Get it right. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but the primary argument is that James Ruse guys are taught HSC content during Preliminary course - you people are mixing things up by thinking that it encompasses acceleration and going beyond the course in terms of knowledge, which it doesn't.
No, they don't.

But as no-one's going to listen to me...
*flame on*

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
georgefren said:
James Ruse is the hardest selective school to get into in the state. So wouldnt that mean that it contains on average the brightest pupils every year, and does the best in the state? I mean, sure it cheats by going ahead. But who cares, all that means is that the kids are bright enough.
Stfu & gtfo.

katie21792

HSC
oh how i love the keyboard warriors in this thread. personally, i think it is a bit suss that nearly all the 100UAI go to JR, but they are a selective school and they do without a doubt work hard. it's not the students fault if they're given Prelim/HSC work in years 9/10 it's the teachers.
the board of studies probably turns a blind eye to this because the kids at JR are selected and are probably finding the work in the set 9/10 syllabus too easy.
they are being accelerated, and it is unfair to those of us that have to keep on time with the syllabus, but what are the JR kids meant to do? waste 5 years of their schooling life sitting back doing work that is obviously too easy for them?
just a thought.
i was my school had this advantage. grr.

dp624

HSC
katie21792 said:
oh how i love the keyboard warriors in this thread. personally, i think it is a bit suss that nearly all the 100UAI go to JR, but they are a selective school and they do without a doubt work hard. it's not the students fault if they're given Prelim/HSC work in years 9/10 it's the teachers.
the board of studies probably turns a blind eye to this because the kids at JR are selected and are probably finding the work in the set 9/10 syllabus too easy.
they are being accelerated, and it is unfair to those of us that have to keep on time with the syllabus, but what are the JR kids meant to do? waste 5 years of their schooling life sitting back doing work that is obviously too easy for them?
just a thought.
i was my school had this advantage. grr.
see? i told you noone ever listens to me
regardless, since my opinion matters not, i'll just say that ruse doesn't get any material earlier than other schools

katie21792

HSC
dp624 said:
see? i told you noone ever listens to me
regardless, since my opinion matters not, i'll just say that ruse doesn't get any material earlier than other schools
wait what? i only skimmed over what everyone was saying, because it seemed to be rather repetitive. what did you have to say dp624? your opinion does matter :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Acceleration != being taught the HSC content during the Preliminary course of a subject. Being accelerated isn't cheating.

Likewise, going beyond the course != being taught HSC content during the Preliminary course of a subject. Sure, go ahead and learn it yourself or get an outside tutor, but actually being taught at school is definately against the rules.

There isn't much difference really if basically everyone in the year gets accelerated as in Sydney Boys for 2 Unit Mathematics or some other school.

It's basically the same concept.

dp624

HSC
katie21792 said:
wait what? i only skimmed over what everyone was saying, because it seemed to be rather repetitive. what did you have to say dp624? your opinion does matter :)
ruse doesn't get accelerated illegally

bored.of.u

HSC
lyounamu said:

agreed completely

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
why do people care wht others do anyways? you can accelerate yourself and plus the hsc is all up to you.

a group of 150 students (whom probably are better than you already) isn't going to SIGNIFICANTLY effect your UAI.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
tommykins said:
why do people care wht others do anyways? you can accelerate yourself and plus the hsc is all up to you.

a group of 150 students (whom probably are better than you already) isn't going to SIGNIFICANTLY effect your UAI.
cuz people like to wine

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that Ruse is the ONLY school to start HSC work early...

Does anyone on here realise how many schools do that? There was an old Prelim thread last year where heaps of people said that there school start HSC work early (one student even said they had completed an entire module before the HSC officially started) .. I contacted the BOS about it and they couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)