• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

James Ruse Controversy (1 Viewer)

Micro Reflex

HSC
My biology teacher stated today that markers of the HSC Biology test don't like to mark papers from James Ruse because the students apparently always ask for extra sheets for additional writing space. This would be time consuming to the poor teachers. Is my teacher right in saying this?

enoilgam

HSC
They might not like it, but they still have to mark it. Besides, I dont think teachers know what schools they are marking - the papers only have a test centre number on them (not 100% sure on this).

omgiloverice

HSC
Well it is his/her opinion so yes your teacher is right in saying that. Plus teachers get paid crap loads to mark HSC papers so they shouldn't really be complaining.

SunnyScience

HSC
They might not like it, but they still have to mark it. Besides, I dont think teachers know what schools they are marking - the papers only have a test centre number on them (not 100% sure on this).
This is true.

However, I'm sure the James Ruse Centre number has become well-known among the markers.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Too bad.

I used extra booklets in most of my exams.

It should be expected.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
^
The markers don't know what school they are marking

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
...who cares though? james ruse's bio marks arent being affected

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't get the idea behind this - when I'm marking a student's paper it actually pleases me if he/she has gone over the lines (with relevant, correct information that answers the question) - it shows that they've done their work and are keen to demonstrate what they know.

I guess it could get annoying if the extra paper is used to ramble, though.

enoilgam

HSC
Also to add, I was told HSC markers get paid by the hour, not by the amount of papers they mark - so it's not like there is an incentive for them to rush.

ncoul

HSC
Also to add, I was told HSC markers get paid by the hour, not by the amount of papers they mark - so it's not like there is an incentive for them to rush.
I have been told that it's a highly pressurized situation though, head makers walking around taking a quota of the amount of individually marked papers. Apparently they like you to be around 3 minutes a paper for you particular section.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well clearly the JR students are doing something right if they've been #1 for so many years.

Pointless bitching as far as I'm concerned. Hardly a controversy either.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Well clearly the JR students are doing something right if they've been #1 for so many years.

Pointless bitching as far as I'm concerned. Hardly a controversy either.
They're number one because they always get the top students :p.

Bitching?? Yes it is.

yasminee96

HSC
My bio teacher marked last year and actually said one of the points in some answer's marking guideline said "clear and concise" ... But only a few questions. Not sure how greatly it was emphasised in the marking though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)