JB Hifi related please some advice (1 Viewer)

daniel4592

HSC
Ill try to make this as short as possible but there is quite a bit to cram in.

Anyways Im starting uni mid year and I really want a job within some electronics retailer so I discovered my JB HIFI were hiring casual cashier staff ok, so I bring in the resume tell the store manager my name im wanting to hand in my resume regarding this position blah blah ok walk out, then as I walk out I notce the sign up Thursday and weekend work is a must!. Instantly at that moment I was like FFS I had only put down Monday-Saturday Open to close, anyways I ring up and speak to a manager I think it might have been the same guy and I inform him that I can actually work on Sundays and I appologize. He then searches for my resume and picks up the phone and just says "Can I get your name, theres a big pile here and I dont want to leave you on hold" I let him know of my name again and he just replies "Ok extremely apprectiate you letting me know" and the call ends.

Anyways now I have discovered the exact same store is searching for part time software advisers, should I apply for this role aswell? one side of me says stick to the original postion as it will look worse if I apply for 2 or 3 different roles in one store.

Ok so I really want a job like I am extremely desperate and do not want to ever work in fast food again after 3 years and this would be a dream part time job to me working with things I actually know about :). But im extremely worried I have wrecked any chance I had with the first situation?
Should I apply for the 2nd position? Or just stick to one?
When should I give a follow up call? when one week passes?

Thanks!

All advice is appreciated.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
how long ago have u applied for the job?

yups

HSC
Ill try to make this as short as possible but there is quite a bit to cram in.

Anyways Im starting uni mid year and I really want a job within some electronics retailer so I discovered my JB HIFI were hiring casual cashier staff ok, so I bring in the resume tell the store manager my name im wanting to hand in my resume regarding this position blah blah ok walk out, then as I walk out I notce the sign up Thursday and weekend work is a must!. Instantly at that moment I was like FFS I had only put down Monday-Saturday Open to close, anyways I ring up and speak to a manager I think it might have been the same guy and I inform him that I can actually work on Sundays and I appologize. He then searches for my resume and picks up the phone and just says "Can I get your name, theres a big pile here and I dont want to leave you on hold" I let him know of my name again and he just replies "Ok extremely apprectiate you letting me know" and the call ends.

Anyways now I have discovered the exact same store is searching for part time software advisers, should I apply for this role aswell? one side of me says stick to the original postion as it will look worse if I apply for 2 or 3 different roles in one store.

Ok so I really want a job like I am extremely desperate and do not want to ever work in fast food again after 3 years and this would be a dream part time job to me working with things I actually know about :). But im extremely worried I have wrecked any chance I had with the first situation?
Should I apply for the 2nd position? Or just stick to one?
When should I give a follow up call? when one week passes?

Thanks!

All advice is appreciated.
firstly you didn't wreck any chance you had with the first situation as you cleared it up.. and i don't think you should apply for the 2nd position .. and don't give a follow up call .. otherwise you'll seem too desperate .. i remember one time i gave my resume in to a shop and 10 months later they called me back .. so if they're interested they'll be the ones to call you . good luck

daniel4592

HSC
Ive always been told to give follow up calls and I did so at big w last year and got the job :S, apparently it also shows that you are very keen on working which I heard is a good thing.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'd recommend the follow up call. But only after a decent period of time. A few weeks would be ample.

As for the seond job, I'd say give it a go if you feel qualified. You may want to alter your resume to cater for the second job. This not only shows your best qualities for that position, but puts you in a better light if they recognise the name from the other resume.

yups

HSC
Ive always been told to give follow up calls and I did so at big w last year and got the job :S, apparently it also shows that you are very keen on working which I heard is a good thing.
really , at the end of a job interview once, before we left the interviewers were like ".. and please don't call us back asking 'did i get the job?' because if you did get the job, we will call you .."

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
really , at the end of a job interview once, before we left the interviewers were like ".. and please don't call us back asking 'did i get the job?' because if you did get the job, we will call you .."
It would depend on the company I guess. Who was that with?

daniel4592

HSC
Well I guess thats if they say so, but I am so sick of applying for jobs I dont even get interviews, ffs (excuse the language) but I am so frustrated applying for atleast 100 jobs over the last 6 weeks and not a single interview. Its like a life long punishment for quitting Mcdonalds.
From Bank Teller positions to Cashier work to IT tech roles I have got not a single interview.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
From Bank Teller positions to Cashier work to IT tech roles I have got not a single interview.
Two questions:
1. Are you applying for positions that are open, or just handing in resumes?
2. What's the quality of your resume like?

daniel4592

HSC
Open positions, my resume isnt bad its well formatted has proper work place store managers who I was good friends with as references etc.

Regarding applying for the second job :S, Its just a software, Music and movies adviser but wouldnt it turn out a little strange because I know I will have to modify the cover letter to suit the role and approach the job slightly different to the already applied cashier role.
I dont want to demolish my chances about getting a job here because in all honesty this is the place I really want a job because when ever I shop there the staff seem really great and they are always laughing with on another talking not the stressfull environment at Mcdonalds.

So please I really need honest opinions about this because I am really desperate Im getting about 50 a week from youth allowance and have to pay 900 for car rego in a month with only 700 on my bank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)