Job suggestions? (1 Viewer)

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
Hey, I'm a 16 year old girl, turning 17 later this year. For a while now I've had this thought in the back of my mind about getting a proper job. I used to clean my aunties house and I got paid for it, but now I'm thinking of getting a proper part time job.
I'd really like to get a job at JB HI FI but i doubt they'd even consider me seeing as I've had no experience in retail or with a real job and I'm probably too young seeing as most of the workers there look about 18+.
Where else could I work in the mean time to get some experience in and some money?
In all honesty I'd prefer not to work in a fast food chain. I know that's probably the easiest place to get a job, but I'd really prefer not working there.
What should I even put in my resume? I don't know how any of this job stuff works :(
Ohh...and does anyone here work at JB HI FI? If you do.....how do you get a job there? What makes you look like a really good candidate for becoming an employee? I'm pretty knowledgable in music and gaming and I'm ok with movies and TV Shows.
I hate the idea of job interviews and handing in resumes and stuff in case I get rejected :'( Like in all honesty, applying for selective schools 2 times after year 7 (last year and year 9) and getting rejected both times has lowered my self esteem A LOT :(
Any general tips on getting a job anywhere?
I'm not sure if I've missed anything.. I'm just sick of sitting at home doing homework all the time and my dad usually buys what I want, but sometimes I want something and he just won't get it for me.
I think getting a job would be beneficial to me as it would teach me some responsibility, I'd gain experience for future jobs, I'd get a bit of money and it would get me off my ass for a few hours a week.
Gosh, I feel so dumb because I know nothing about jobs and resumes....IM SUCH A NOOB D;

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Apply for 10-15 places from now. If you don't get a job that way, then keep applying for the exact same places around September this year (no later than October) and you will definitely get some sort of a job.

Try to get both an in person application and online application as much as possible (do both as much as you can).

Don't get discouraged by not making it into the selective school.

To be honest, the selective school I applied for did me great service by constantly rejecting me. I got a high ATAR (even higher than probably 50% of that selective school's students) and the rewards from going to a low ranking school (580 ranks below that selective school lol) are amazing (they give you basically everything).

Though in saying all this you have to be a great independent learner.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
Apply for 10-15 places from now. If you don't get a job that way, then keep applying for the exact same places around September this year (no later than October) and you will definitely get some sort of a job.

Try to get both an in person application and online application as much as possible (do both as much as you can).

Don't get discouraged by not making it into the selective school.

To be honest, the selective school I applied for did me great service by constantly rejecting me. I got a high ATAR (even higher than probably 50% of that selective school's students) and the rewards from going to a low ranking school (580 ranks below that selective school lol) are amazing (they give you basically everything).

Though in saying all this you have to be a great independent learner.
Thanks. So what kind of places should I apply for? Like should I go for shops like kmart and big w? i really don't know :/ i don't think JB HI FI would consider me at this stage would they :L

I'm kind of happy at the school I'm at I guess. I'm so scared about the HSC Next year :S :S :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My first ever job was soccer refereeing.

Why go to the cliche stuff? Retail, etc.? Try and combine things you like - perhaps a sport or something, and see if it can be turned into a viable job.

Think outside the box.

Kittikhun

HSC
Any general tips on getting a job anywhere?
Unless if you're working in civil service or in the military, use your connections really. That's how I got my jobs. It's a really crap thing to accept, but it's the truth really in most parts of the business world.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks. So what kind of places should I apply for? Like should I go for shops like kmart and big w? i really don't know :/ i don't think JB HI FI would consider me at this stage would they :L

I'm kind of happy at the school I'm at I guess. I'm so scared about the HSC Next year :S :S :(
All retailers similar to that. I applied for over 10 places last November but got nothing.

My first ever job was soccer refereeing.

Why go to the cliche stuff? Retail, etc.? Try and combine things you like - perhaps a sport or something, and see if it can be turned into a viable job.

Think outside the box.
This is very true too. In the end I'm pretty frustrated at the way the job market works for older students so currently I am doing a course to become a referee as well. That will also be my first job.

Thief

!!
HSC
I think you can't be too picky. Apply to everywhere you can. Obviously start with preferred jobs in case you do get in, but then continue on with other things. You could go for retail (clothes stores, electronics, etc) or Big W/Kmart or fast foods. Go for Maccas, it wouldn't be so bad if you just worked at the front counter all the time. And the longer you work there, the better your wages get (on top of the wage increases as you get older).

Kittikhun

HSC
What's wrong with hospitality? You're mostly always busy and getting the mind and body stimulated. In my opinion, it's better than retail, which looks very boring and not challenging enough.

Kittikhun

HSC
So you're saying try to find a job that will relate to your future career. OK. What jobs should I try to find in relation to psychology?
What field in psych? If clinical psychology, I would look into volunteering and giving back to the community whilst also working on a casual basis if possible (might not be with HSC). Psychology is a really hard and competitive field to get into though. You need really good marks in psychology whilst at uni if you want to a get a job in it (at least postgraduate qualifications and membership to this Australian and New Zealand Psychological Association, I believe), so your casual job may not help you that much in getting a job in psych.

At the end of the day though, a job is a job and you get money, so as long as it's a job that allows you to maintain your integrity and moral values, then it's worth doing. As said by others, you can't be too picky. And in being young, your chances of getting employed are much higher than someone who is already 21.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
thanks guys. yeah idk i don't like the idea of fast food. it to me, does not seem very enjoyable and i would hate to be constantly taking orders from people one after the next. id rather apply for something that id like a bit more. So probably shops like Big W and Kmart and such (maybe after i have experience JB HI FI)? Those would be willing to accept me right? Its just i have had no experience at all so I'm scared that they will reject because i have no experience, but then you sort of think, how am i meant to get experience if you won't hire me. idk anymore :|

Katebrunner

HSC
My friend works at jb and he said its not that great, even thiugh they get to wear casual clothes and stuff. Aparantly the management are really tyrannical, like you're in big trouble if you come in 5 mins late. Maybe that just the store he is in though. Try big w, I already work for woolworths so I'm trying to get a transfer to big w cause its the same company

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Fast food is not too bad, if you do your job right and have a good relationship with your boss you can improve your resume heaps from showing your a confident person, polite and welcoming and be able to handle conflict between customers with ease, I use to work at gloria jeans and there i had a coworker who got hired at 16 despite having no experience, my boss loves her.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
All retailers similar to that. I applied for over 10 places last November but got nothing.

November is a bit too late to apply for jobs, usually those jobs like Christmas casual you need to apply before September or even earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)