Junior Legal Secretary Interview (1 Viewer)

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
melsc said:
Don't worry I don't expect much, I found that out when I did work experience at Legal aid 5 days of filling and one 1/2 hr court visit the whole time i was there...and it was a really boring contested divorce.
I hate to double-post, but my work XP was just like that. In 5 days I only went to court once, and that was to seek an adjournment... :|

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Wolfowitz said:
Are you sure the interview wasn't for a cadetship? 'Cause it sounds a lot like it. It's fairly common for B.Commer's to start a cadetship after 2 years full-time and go part-time for the last two. That way they've got a job when they finish, and great XP...just like killing a Carrion Crawler at Lv1.
No no...I meant that when they saw I was going to be studying law the figured I could do it part time and work, it was a normal job. I have a few friends doing those cadetships but its fulltime work part time uni from the beginning

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Frigid, I'd rather spend my day filing because at least then you can feign being busy!

I'm wanting to leave my job after being there two months - isnt that disgusting? I just cannot stand it!! So I've applied for a job as a medical receptionist near home...

... Its admin work, right? Better than retail...

I need moral support :(
yes myer sucks too.

but filing sucks as well.

both are great evils. i will volunteer in a CLC if i can't find a better job soon
MaryJane said:
Oh, also, just wanting to confirm. You know how we need two years experience before we can become a solicitor? That two years is effectively the clerkship, right?
i think it's only 16 weeks of practical in PLT i think... i'm under the impression that 8weeks of clerkship counts towards the 16 weeks of prac...

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Frigid said:
yes myer sucks too.
but filing sucks as well.
both are great evils.
Seriously, enjoy your retail jobs as long as you can.

The pay is often better. You can work weekends which give you penalty rates. You can turn up hungover. You don't have to think about the work. If you get sick of it you can ditch it and find a new one.

Everyone here in 1st - 3rd year should just be enjoying uni life. Not looking/worrying about fulltime work/careers.

Remember: a job is just something to do between weekends.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah UOW actually pushes quite a few first year cadetship type things where you do part-time from the start and I guess move up the ranks in the firm.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Oh, also, just wanting to confirm. You know how we need two years experience before we can become a solicitor? That two years is effectively the clerkship, right? Because this girl who I work with who is in her last year is planning on staying at work, but bullshitting her resume by an extra year, so she's got the two years experience before graduation... Thats not how it works, correct?
Not quite. You have to do college of law (or equivalent). Part of this is the practical element...at a law firm, legal centre etc. All up it takes 6 months to a year I think.

A clerkship (should u be one of the few fortunate souls to get one) is merely summer work and the likelihood of a graduate offer (i.e. a job)...with whom you will be doing the practical element as mentioned above.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I didn't apply but was offered a summer clerkship this year for some reason from a few places but had to say no cos Im going away.

Is the application process really competitive? Cos Im thinking of actually applying for summer next year.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
I didn't apply but was offered a summer clerkship this year for some reason from a few places but had to say no cos Im going away.

Is the application process really competitive? Cos Im thinking of actually applying for summer next year.
yeah they're really competitive for top-tier. usually they receive upwards of a thousand applications (i know CVmail.com.au does) and they only have 5-30 per city.

so you must be really good to have been asked without applying. it's a shame to not have accepted, really.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Oh they weren't top tier firms, just your average medium sized legal type places. I think my 'boss' (they guy I follow around) at legal aid must have told a few people about me.

Wolfowitz

HSC
MiuMiu said:
Oh they weren't top tier firms, just your average medium sized legal type places. I think my 'boss' (they guy I follow around) at legal aid must have told a few people about me.
I love legal word-of-mouth. My employer knows the lady who sponsored the legal studies award at my school. When I one it last year it suddenly jumped $200 in value :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Top-tier firms are extremely competitive. It's hard to even get an interview!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
That's not a clerkship then.

Clerkships are a formalised process. There are inter-firm functions, sporting competitions. The clerks will be wined and dined to their hearts content, and in return they do a little bit of work on the side, suck up and generally act like eager beavers. Dates for application, offer and acceptance are akin to accepting a university placement - i.e. a proper procedure..

It helps being female if you want a clerkship...(with some firms having a ratio of 10-1)

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Just musing here ...

Do you think chances of employment at a super top-tier firm in Melbourne would be greater than here in Sydney?

Certainly the number of available places would be smaller but I feel one's Melbourne chances would still be better, when one considers the ratio of applicants to places.

And I've always liked Melbourne.

Also, I'm thinking of moving to Idaho. Or Boston.

Winter in Idaho stretches from November to March. I shall learn to ski.

Wolfowitz

HSC
Idaho = hole.

Don't go to Idaho, you'll develope sprouts, crusty brown skin and resemble the state's crowning glory: the potato.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ManlyChief said:
Just musing here ...
Do you think chances of employment at a super top-tier firm in Melbourne would be greater than here in Sydney?
Certainly the number of available places would be smaller but I feel one's Melbourne chances would still be better, when one considers the ratio of applicants to places.
And I've always liked Melbourne.
remember victoria has the whole 'articles' process which i'm not too sure about.

keep it simple. stay in sydney. or hong kong. whichever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)