Laptop for Engineering @ UNSW? (1 Viewer)

LandCo

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I'm just wondering if an iPad would suffice.
I'm looking to do computer engineering. Is it tech heavy or not?
What are the recommended specs? (Not looking for a gaming machine, already have one of those)

Thanks!

D94

HSC
N/A
You'll need more than an iPad for your work. But if it's just to bring to uni then that's plenty.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
You'll need more than an iPad for your work. But if it's just to bring to uni then that's plenty.
Like notebook,pens and paper right.. because I am also planning to use an iPad for Engo next year hopefully

D94

HSC
N/A
Like notebook,pens and paper right.. because I am also planning to use an iPad for Engo next year hopefully
I meant like if your iPad was your only device for all your work, i.e. no computer, no laptop at home.

Of course pens, notebook, calculator are obvious items to bring.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I meant like if your iPad was your only device for all your work, i.e. no computer, no laptop at home.

Of course pens, notebook, calculator are obvious items to bring.
Ahh okay, just double checking. The iPad is there because I dont wanna carry my laptop all around me, but I will use it at home for assignement and what not.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's good (and what I meant before - bad wording on my part).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You don't have to bring any sort of tablet, laptop or computer to uni unless you think you will require it in lectures.

You have access to linux machines at UNSW so you can always code and access your CSE account at uni if necessary. Also, there are Windows machines everywhere on campus for you to use if need be (however only the ones in the Red Centre allow you to code and access your CSE account via PuTTy).

LandCo

HSC
N/A
You don't have to bring any sort of tablet, laptop or computer to uni unless you think you will require it in lectures.

You have access to linux machines at UNSW so you can always code and access your CSE account at uni if necessary. Also, there are Windows machines everywhere on campus for you to use if need be (however only the ones in the Red Centre allow you to code and access your CSE account via PuTTy).
Okay thanks!!

CaptainPrice

HSC
Guess I should get familiar with Linux, which version do they use? Ubuntu? Fedora?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Can't remember the linux base but it is very Mac and Windows users friendly as long as you don't change the skin settings when logging in.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
is a laptop necessary for engineering in general
Nah I do everything at home in terms of the uni work because I do a lot of stuff on the computers at uni.

However, if I need a particular software that I can't use on a uni computer because it isn't installed, I just use my old school laptop (pretty much the laptop is never used for anything other than softwares and CAD I need to use on the go really).

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
MacBook Air / Pro, light powerful and a breeze to write and compile code on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)