Laptop for uni (1 Viewer)

artist91

HSC
Starting uni next year and the old Dell Inspiron 8600 is about to die let alone the size of a small car so I'm in the market for a new laptop.

Not sure about PC or Mac, would love to go Mac but a little hesitant seeing as I'll be doing architecture and I've heard Macs don't run CAD programs.

I'm looking for something small and light and pretty!

I don't play games it'll mostly be used for internet, word, photoshop and cad programs.

Suggestions?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
i was about to think sub notebook, but then I realised you were in for CAD design...

My asus f5n is not a bad machine. It went for a little more than 900.

Specs:
AMD X2
2GB RAm
120Gb HDD
Geforce 7000M graphics
14.9" widescreen

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=177199
this is a thread that is going at the moment with a simlar question might be worth a look.

I would look at the software that you will be using and then think of whether it is even compatible on a mac if it is not you can windows running through boot camp anyway.

Try both and see what you like.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
i was about to think sub notebook, but then I realised you were in for CAD design...

My asus f5n is not a bad machine. It went for a little more than 900.

Specs:
AMD X2
2GB RAm
120Gb HDD
Geforce 7000M graphics
14.9" widescreen
pretty good deal.

Although, the Geforce 7000m isn't that much of a great gfx card. how's the battery life on it?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
when first bought, up to 3 hours on low power settings

High Power settings can last up to 1 and a half.

artist91

HSC
Price isn't really an issue. I've been stuck with this old machine for years freezing and crashing daily so my parents are more than happy to help out with $

aussie-boy

HSC
maybe the dell xps m1330?
i dont know if that screen size will be big enough for CAD work, but anything bigger is no longer 'small and light'
its a shame that you cant get the new aluminium macbook coming out next week - had it had not been for the CAD that machine would have been perfect

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Considered getting a desktop with a large display then using a sub-notebook for uni?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
artist91 said:
What's this new alumininum mac?

artist91 said:
Yeah but I lie on my bed with my lappy to study so it would be seriously a struggle for me to sit at a desk lol :)
Thats bad for the following things;
study, posture, sleep habits, laptop

Desk. Get one and use it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
artist91 said:
Different things work for different people. I achieve my best marks working like this so meh i'll be a hunchback.
Take care of your back now when you're young, take it from someone who had bad habits and hunching and now has back/shoulder problems (though slowly being made better, can't really 'fix it').

Especially with the increased hours you'll be working at uni, particularly with design software.

white ferret

HSC
ouch. ur study positions sound rather painful! coz my shoulders start hurting after a while if i lie on my stomach reading/studying.

hp pavillions are great for design. ^^. and theyre pretty too. mines in the dv6000 series (cant rmb which model), and has a widescreen, which would prob be good for editing? but with the 15.4" (i think) screen, it's rather heavy.. around 2.5kgs?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah anything in the realm of 15" is going to be heavy to lug around, looking back at it, I should've probably stuck with a 13" or smaller.

HSC
Forbidden. said:
what the fuck they can be so distracting ... someone was watching youtube videos on clumsy athletes and other sports accidents during a lecture
is there an internet connection that you can connect to at uni?

aussie-boy

HSC
new macbook is speculation, but its a near certainty and should come out on september 9: http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/04/16/235810-aboutme2_800.jpg

i dont see how you can do cad work which needs a mouse when lying on your bed

the m1330 has been very highly rated and you can choose your configuration - personally i have the m1530 (its big brother) and my only complaint is the screen i have - though the 1330s have LED screens so will not have this issue at all

and if price is no object, get a 20"+ monitor to hook your laptop up to... for an extra $400, your m1330 will be perfect for any large screen design work

also, vaios are a waste of money

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)