Is it better to use laptops or books?

• Laptop

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Books

Votes: 58 86.6%

• Total voters

KittyLuv

HSC
Since I'm going to hit Year 11 I was thinking how I was going to deal with HSC and trials etc. so I was thinking: is it better to use a laptop or books for next year?

The thing with laptops is that all the books weight is gone and research is easier but more distractions. But with books, you can't really do anything other than write though it is easier to set up different layouts and maths equations.

So I was wondering which one would be better? and how everyone sets out their notes??

Tyyy :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is better to use a book. It will improve your writing speed and legibility (which will come in handy for exams ).

Also distractions won't be poking at your face . Hehe.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Take both. Maths always on paper. General class notes on paper.

Study notes on PC, easier to edit over time.

R4diance

HSC
I'd say use a book during class. Laptops are way too distracting (at least for me) :(
Since you're in Year 10 now (same as me), I'd say use a laptop for the remainder of the year then switch to books next year.

EDIT: argh accidentally voted for laptops (my vote goes to books)

Last edited:

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
It depends on how you best learn, really. You're still only in year 10 so make sure to experiment in year 11 :)

User5555555

HSC
Use a folder with 6 sections. Have a hole punch in your school folder. Protective sleeve in each section. Loose leaf A4 paper in each section.

I've used a laptop in year 11 and partly folder. My laptop was the biggest distraction ever. I unlocked it and all I did was play games in Economics, Chemistry, Physics and Legal Studies. It wasn't good for me.

What I'd do if I were you, is break the laptop habit. Use it at home to research or gather study notes. Carry it around at school, in case the teacher asks to research or anything.

Trust me, you'll do much better, and bludge less in class with pen and paper. Also improves your hand writing skills and speed. For English, in a 45 minute assessment, as soon as the teacher said 'You may begin', I wrote 5 solid pages, non stop for 45 minutes.

Year 11 doesn't count, I know because I did really really bad, but you still need to pay attention.

R4diance

HSC
Use a folder with 6 sections. Have a hole punch in your school folder. Protective sleeve in each section. Loose leaf A4 paper in each section.

I've used a laptop in year 11 and partly folder. My laptop was the biggest distraction ever. I unlocked it and all I did was play games in Economics, Chemistry, Physics and Legal Studies. It wasn't good for me.

What I'd do if I were you, is break the laptop habit. Use it at home to research or gather study notes. Carry it around at school, in case the teacher asks to research or anything.

Trust me, you'll do much better, and bludge less in class with pen and paper. Also improves your hand writing skills and speed. For English, in a 45 minute assessment, as soon as the teacher said 'You may begin', I wrote 5 solid pages, non stop for 45 minutes.

Year 11 doesn't count, I know because I did really really bad, but you still need to pay attention.
Yeah, it definitely helps with your writing speed and skills, which is exactly why I use pen and paper for subjects like English, History, Science and Maths.
I game in all my other subjects because of my laptop :c (oh well, i'm in Year 10...meh)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad

keeping that in mind :)

Definately a book! I bludge so hard in class when i have a laptop, all i watch are tricking samplers and only take down notes when im told. Now i know that im not speaking for everyone but for me, i dont game but laptops are distracting enough with their ability to play music, videos, etc and access to social networks.

Seriously switching to book once i hit the senior years

hmgibson

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I agree with nyxaelia. You get one big folder with a divider for each subject - get plastic so they wont rip - and only keep the current topic in this folder. At home, you keep a folder for each subject and when you finish a topic at school, you put it in the corresponding folder at home. I have tried so many systems but this is the best! You can type some stuff like research activities etc but make sure you print them and put them in your folder or I can guarantee you will not look at them again. Hope this helps! Good luck in year 11 and 12!!! :) :) :)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Personally what I've realised works best for me is that when it comes to class a book is the way to go as I'm just jotting down notes, as people said above, laptop is way too distracting. Although I do then come home and type those notes up, adding more depth instead of just some small dot points, I find that helps in terms of learning something since you're writing it twice.

grace_26

HSC
BOTH! I'm going into yr 11 this year so I got a laptop at the end of last year and it is really useful to type up notes insert pictures from the web into my notes and you can edit your notes.

I still do use books at home and school though. I use books at school when I'm not taking too many notes or when there is not too much writing to do.

At home I suggest that you copy your book notes onto your laptop and vice versa this way you will be more likely to retain information and you won't lose your notes.

Hope this helps :D

Disfigurate

HSC
BOTH! I'm going into yr 11 this year so I got a laptop at the end of last year and it is really useful to type up notes insert pictures from the web into my notes and you can edit your notes.

I still do use books at home and school though. I use books at school when I'm not taking too many notes or when there is not too much writing to do.

At home I suggest that you copy your book notes onto your laptop and vice versa this way you will be more likely to retain information and you won't lose your notes.

Hope this helps :D
Good advice! It just depends on the person though. For example; one person may find that their laptop is very distracting whereas another can get their work done regardless.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Use both. But make sure you use a book for Maths and English and any other subjects that require a lot of writing fur exams. When using a laptop organise work in onenote an make sure you don't play games or go on fb

study1234

HSC
Using a laptop can be useful if used properly (i.e. you don't get distracted and play games). For English, I found that writing my initial ideas and drafts out on paper to be helpful, just to keep my mind flowing. For my later versions and edits for essays/creatives, typing on a laptop allowed me to keep a living copy where I could easily make edits. For Maths, obviously you're going to use a book to do questions, but if you find carrying multiple heavy textbooks around annoying, you can use digital copies. For Science (and probably Humanities subjects), using a laptop to make class notes is better, especially if you're jotting a lot of information down. However, I would recommend occasionally using a pen to write notes and answer questions, as this is what you're going to be doing in an exam.

Hope this helps! :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Used books/loose leafs for notes, worksheets, etc. in class. (esp. maths!! went through like 4 exercise books in year 11 holy moly)

But used laptop for study notes, etc.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Both. I'm also going to be in year 11 next year and IMO using a book is so much less distracting than a laptop, but a laptop is useful for research. However, for school I will use binder books in a divided binder with slots for notes: it'll help me organise my stuff!

lightthefuze

HSC
Yeah, I agree with nyxaelia. You get one big folder with a divider for each subject - get plastic so they wont rip - and only keep the current topic in this folder. At home, you keep a folder for each subject and when you finish a topic at school, you put it in the corresponding folder at home. I have tried so many systems but this is the best! You can type some stuff like research activities etc but make sure you print them and put them in your folder or I can guarantee you will not look at them again. Hope this helps! Good luck in year 11 and 12!!! :) :) :)

Do you think that buying an exercise book for each subject topic and then using the information at the end of every week to make notes on loose leaf paper (and then filing into corresponding folders) would be a good method as well?

Sent from my RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_278 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)